Any news on the player run practices?

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC said:
The last few years I have posted "player-ran practice" updates because I was attending the baseball camp and would occasionally catch the football team on the practice fields. Unfortunately this year, no camp for my son due to a broken thumb. I will be in Gainesville for some of the open practices and will pass along my observations then.
I vote that you take your son to the camp, anyway. He can observe baseball camp and you can report back on football. Its a Win, Win, Win.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
Thomas Goldkamp;16515 said:
JC_Gator;n16513 said:
I can't wait. This is probably one of the most anticipated camps in a long time.
Not that Florida had a ton of choice about it, needing all the publicity it can get right now, but it's really nice we'll get to actually see them practice. I've always felt opening even a handful of practices to the fans/media helps set expectations more realistically than blindly taking everything the staff and players say in fall camp as truth. Should be fun.
This has been the biggest issue (other than oline recruiting) with Muschamp's handling of our program to me. The fans and the students are a huge part of the football experience. It's something that Urban Meyer understood. I believe Urban Meyer even had events where UF students could compete in little events like foot races with the players. By limiting access of information and interaction it's only a recipe for disaster. Now this may have been Foleys doing in order to garner more excitement and more transparency for the program. But combined with the most depth this team had had in the last four years with getting rid of Davis and Pease (understanding how to manage your coaches was a huge struggle for him but it probably is for any young head coach as they get their foothold in the profession), and the dearth of quarterbacks in the SEC, I think that we are ripe for a big season. How far we can go rests on the arm and legs of Driskel. If he can just be 75% of what we think he can be, our defense and our talent should carry us to the SECG.
Meyer was the one that locked things down. Muschamp has done no more to limit access than Meyer. In fact, Muschamp had been more open to the media. This was a trend in college football as a whole. Many of the top programs limited access and many still do. How many open practices did FSU have last year and are they opening any this Fall?

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC said:
The last few years I have posted "player-ran practice" updates because I was attending the baseball camp and would occasionally catch the football team on the practice fields. Unfortunately this year, no camp for my son due to a broken thumb. I will be in Gainesville for some of the open practices and will pass along my observations then.
I've tried to check out some of the practices, while getting treatments at Shands, but, was unable to get close enough to get a good look. I will keep trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.