Any thoughts on today's Offense?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Was this just another typical UF offensive performance over the last 4 years? The passing yards were nice, but the run game was very unimpressive.

If not for Adam Lane's mop up yards we would not have broken 100 yards rushing vs. a 1AA team. We got stuffed on the short yard situations all day.

TH had some nice completions, but finished 4 for 12 and under threw several open deep balls that should have been hit in stride. The announcers (Chris Doering) suggested that he was trying not to over throw like he did last week. But completing 33% vs. a 1AA team? He didn't complete any intermediate/short passes.

JD had probably his best passing performance of his career....but that ship has sailed.

I hope Grier gets a fair shot this spring. I think TH has promise, but still not sold.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Grier was always going to get a fair shot in the spring. He hasn't played because he's redshirting. No way to tell what the offense is going to be like next year until we find out who the new coach is.

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n114573 said:
Was this just another typical UF offensive performance over the last 4 years? The passing yards were nice, but the run game was very unimpressive.

If not for Adam Lane's mop up yards we would not have broken 100 yards rushing vs. a 1AA team. We got stuffed on the short yard situations all day.

TH had some nice completions, but finished 4 for 12 and under threw several open deep balls that should have been hit in stride. The announcers (Chris Doering) suggested that he was trying not to over throw like he did last week. But completing 33% vs. a 1AA team? He didn't complete any intermediate/short passes.

JD had probably his best passing performance of his career....but that ship has sailed.

I hope Grier gets a fair shot this spring. I think TH has promise, but still not sold.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
jereed isn't worthless and I know where you are coming from in this thread, BMF. Today's offense proves that WMs hands have been in the offense this whole time. We've never thrown in this much. Biggest opportunity today was over the middle. 90% of the throws were to the sideline while the middle was wide open.

EKU handed us this game early with the fakes and round-a-bouts early. Should those have been saved for later….

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Over-matched opponent..... nothing to see except our vaunted run game was almost non-existent.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yesterday's game is what we should have expected. I am sure Roper opened up a bit more and you could tell with the play selection he did. EKU S#!t the bed before Muschamp could in this game. So the pressure was off. I'm sure the passing was perhaps to polish up for next week. We know with what we saw last night vs. BC that the Clowns have a hard time stopping the run. This game WM did something he is not accustomed to. Put away an opponent who is inferior with relative ease. Too bad for him he took getting fired to have an epiphany.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Happy for Driskel. But as a whole, pretty disappointed. For the 2nd week in a row, TH was very inaccurate throwing the ball. Offensive line got zero push today. EKU did not look like a 9-2 team at any level. Maybe all their talent is on the defensive line. At least that's what I'll try to tell myself.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What QB starts next season may come down to what system we are running. I doubt Grier could beat Harris out if we are still running an offense that likes to use zone reads etc. If it is more of a standard offense he may be able to compete with Harris.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
i really hope whomever is chosen as the headcoach they make the offensive line a priority. that high school we just played camped out in our backfield.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Gator Fever;n114798 said:
What QB starts next season may come down to what system we are running. I doubt Grier could beat Harris out if we are still running an offense that likes to use zone reads etc. If it is more of a standard offense he may be able to compete with Harris.

Maybe. Maybe not. I do think Grier is a better passer but is also a good athlete.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n114807 said:
Maybe. Maybe not. I do think Grier is a better passer but is also a good athlete.

I think Harris will improve a lot once he gets Spring and another camp in.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
deuce;n114637 said:
Over-matched opponent..... nothing to see except our vaunted run game was almost non-existent.

Yeah, that will be on Chimp's epitaph.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The playcalling didn't look unsimilar to what we tried against EMU. An overmatched opponent, lets air it out a little more try to get the offense in a good place. The offensive line has been playing better than last year, but is no where near good. As Dubster said earlier, it should be a high priority if not the highest priority by the new staff.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
We need to eliminate outside runs for Harris. He does not have the speed to get the corner. He has good short area quickness to make people miss on the inside runs. That is where he has done ALL his damage running the ball.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We need to eliminate the QB running and let the QBs throw, the RBs (a stable of them) run (and unfortunately get hurt) and the receivers catch.

All this backwards azz offense, playing receivers and rbs because they block and QBs who can't throw but can run, is what has caused the problems.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:

Grier is a lot more athletic than people give him credit for. I wouldnt be surprised if he is actually a little faster than Harris, though Harris looks quicker. If I had to guess at the qb situation next year I would think Harris goes to an athlete role and Grier takes over. His upside and arm talent is too good to keep on the bench. If the mental side of his game comes along (Troens quick decision making is why he beat out Grier) then he is the qb of the future imo. If I am wrong though I am very comfortable with Harris. I dont think he is as bad as he has looked lately. I think Ray is right when he said Treon's hand is bothering him more than he is letting on.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Law98gator;n115261 said:
We need to eliminate the QB running and let the QBs throw, the RBs (a stable of them) run (and unfortunately get hurt) and the receivers catch.

All this backwards azz offense, playing receivers and rbs because they block and QBs who can't throw but can run, is what has caused the problems.

I'd prefer they reserved QB runs for redzone and key 3rd down conversions. I agree the RBs should be doing almost all the heavy lifting on 1st and 2nd downs. I think coaches fall in love with early down QB runs because they generally produce favorable down and distance situations. But they probably aren't worth the toll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator