Anybody know why Ackerman’s gone at WRUF?

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can't remember if we even had a sponsor....but I do know someone always called in to get the Slippery Rock score...remember, this is before the internet...so we relied on the AP ticker to get scores.
For some reason the only sponsor I remember from the 80s was The Rancher :lol: I was a kid but we always listened after the games as we were leaving town.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
For some reason the only sponsor I remember from the 80s was The Rancher :lol: I was a kid but we always listened after the games as we were leaving town.
I was drunk half the time hosting the show...I would go to the game....drink Canadian Club and coke during the game as i always did....and then at the end of the third quarter, head over to the J-school to get ready to give live...so the memory is a bit fuzzy. I think you are right though, we did have sponsors....I think a local chevy dealership also did sponsoring.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I remember the sponsor being the Rancher, after the game we would go to the parking lot... most the dads would drink and have games on the radio. Until whom ever the designated drivers were that game got sober enough to drive.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I did not know Ted....I was at Rock 104 and did Dial A Score in the mid to late 80's. Otis was the kindest, most generous person I ever knew. I was a 22 yr old kid, and he invited me to be a part of their foursome every Sunday. Meant the world to me to be playing golf with the voice of the Gators from 1939-1980. The week before I graduated I finally broke 80 (78) at the UF course, and Otis was the first person I called! He was truly a legend!!!

What a great memory to cherish. And thanks for your work at Rock 104. I did my 2nd tour at UF 85-87. I’m sure I called you.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Id say we could buy the Sun for what I have in my change cup.
Then you would have to pay or fire Dooley and Andrieu, either way it would be a pity :-). By the way Law, I like the armored donkey.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
If you did call, please tell me you did not request to hear Stairway!

I survived high school during the disco era so all rock was appreciated. Didn’t understand why the station was so devoted to Boston. Our running joke was, Listen - Boston - must be in Gainesville.

I am a fraternity brother of “Rick Richards” - who was about your era.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
I survived high school during the disco era so all rock was appreciated. Didn’t understand why the station was so devoted to Boston. Our running joke was, Listen - Boston - must be in Gainesville.

I am a fraternity brother of “Rick Richards” - who was about your era.
Yes, I think I remember Rick Richards...blondish hair? Our running joke at the station was how many times in one day can they play I can't drive 55! or Money for Nothing. those songs still nauseates me to this day and I LOVE Dire Straights.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Yes, I think I remember Rick Richards...blondish hair? Our running joke at the station was how many times in one day can they play I can't drive 55! or Money for Nothing. those songs still nauseates me to this day and I LOVE Dire Straights.

Rick Richards followed me from 10am to Noon... we called him our CD 'jockey' (we actually used a very derogatory term that I cannot repeat - Diamond Dave came up with it and of course I said it on the air because, hey, I didn't know it was a bad Hebrew word)... Rick was always cleaning CDs before his shift. Real nice guy.

I hosted "Fresh Tracks" on Tuesday nights - circa 1985 - and one of the new releases we played was the Dire Straits album that had Money for Nothing on it. That song prompted a lot of calls for that time of night...
And heck yeah, we played the hell out of Boston back in the day, especially when they released "Amanda"...

I still recall when we had this huge event - Jason Alexander was the afternoon drive guy and we hyped up for days that we were going to play a song from A COMPACT DISK!!! It was this massive German CD player - probably the size of a microwave, that you could play one CD on.
The first song was... Bryan Adams 'Summer of '69', which actually sounded great with that opening guitar riff...

I used to wander over to the AM side of the studio and yell to Otis..."1800 -The Big -O" ... he was a great guy. He and Jim Finch were a great pair...

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
Diamond Dave and I had dinner on Wednesday...wow, brought back memories. On Sunday night, I hosted the 7th Day Album Feature w/ my name" then it turned into the 7th day CD feature...which was great since I didnt have to flip an album....and was able to spend more time on the outdoor stairwell smoking a doob then coming back in and putting a new CD on....then playing Shine on you Crazy Diamond as the intor Dr. Ruth. to fill time before Dr. Ruth I would play Why Dont we Do it in the Road, Lola, Walk on the Wild Side....

I remember those first two CD players..one was always over heating since they were not meant to be played 24/7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.