Applebee Starter for Outback Bowl

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The reality is that AA probably will start.

I don't have an issue with Mac talking to Franks and his parents and letting them have input on burning his redshirt for the bowl game, but if they are OK with it then Franks should definitely start. I'm truly not worried about his redshirt. If he is that good he will play 2 full season and be gone. If needs to stay for a reshirt senior year then he most likely isn't that good anyway and we better have somebody else starting.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
To be honest I don't think there is a current QB on our team that will be the starter two years from now, and there is a good chance that none of QBs on the roster will be the starter next year.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
To be honest I don't think there is a current QB on our team that will be the starter two years from now, and there is a good chance that none of QBs on the roster will be the starter next year.

You're saying we may not have a starting QB next year? Maybe we can win the East without one.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
You're saying we may not have a starting QB next year? Maybe we can win the East without one.
Heck it has worked the last two years! However what I am saying is that we will have a QB that either transfers or a true Freshman will be our QB next year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not trying to be argumentative, but the interceptions were on Appleby. 1st one thrown behind Hammond, 2nd was the missed touchdown to Callaway across the middle that was 5 yards behind him, and then the 3rd was another underthrown ball to Fulwood...although I guess it could be argued that Fulwood did try to make a play on the ball.

the first one is completely on AA, the second one is easly a bad route by Calloway, from where the safety was positioned, the 50/50 ball shouldn't have been thrown because the target is known for not fighting for them.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I hear Mac is excited about the bloomin onion sales. He may even dress up.

bloomin-onion.jpg

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
The reality is that AA probably will start.

I don't have an issue with Mac talking to Franks and his parents and letting them have input on burning his redshirt for the bowl game, but if they are OK with it then Franks should definitely start. I'm truly not worried about his redshirt. If he is that good he will play 2 full season and be gone. If needs to stay for a reshirt senior year then he most likely isn't that good anyway and we better have somebody else starting.
A college QB who doesn't leave early for the NFL isn't that good? Shane, Danny, and Tim were OK. Most great college QBs stay all 4 years.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
A college QB who doesn't leave early for the NFL isn't that good? Shane, Danny, and Tim were OK. Most great college QBs stay all 4 years.

No.

Great QB's leave early because they have the skill level to thus they probably have done well in college.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No.

Great QB's leave early because they have the skill level to thus they probably have done well in college.

Agree with Ferg and how many of the guys you mentioned were RS Seniors...?

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I' thinking of all the starting QB's in the NFL right now and which of them are considered elite. Guess what I've noticed?
Tom Brady
Eli manning
Kirk Cousins
Andrew Luck
Carson Palmer
Russell Wilson
Dak Prescott (maybe to early to know for sure)
Matty Ice
Philip Rivers
Aaron Rogers
Derek Carr
Drew Brees
All played 4 years.

Came out early.

Cam
Bortles
big Ben.

I might can see taking Ben over Palmer or Prescott in the above group but for the most part, I'd rather have the 4 year group than the left early Group. I could throw in Peyton in the 4 year group but I think you get the picture.

Last edited:

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
No.

(1) This is a theory. I posted something yesterday showing that evidence in support of this theory, for quarterbacks specifically, is very sketchy. (To be fair, I only looked at the 2016 NFL draft. So the evidence against the theory is sketchy.)

(2) Even if we accept your theory as being correct, it is only relevant if one of our current QBs will be GREAT. Exactly two of last year's top NFL drafts at QB left school after less than four years. Please name which one of our roster of QBs who you think has the solid potential to be at that level of skill.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
(1) This is a theory. I posted something yesterday showing that evidence in support of this theory, for quarterbacks specifically, is very sketchy. (To be fair, I only looked at the 2016 NFL draft. So the evidence against the theory is sketchy.)

(2) Even if we accept your theory as being correct, it is only relevant if one of our current QBs will be GREAT. Exactly two of last year's top NFL drafts at QB left school after less than four years. Please name which one of our roster of QBs who you think has the solid potential to be at that level of skill.

Franks...because of physical tools but thats a guess

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
With Franks UF 33 Iowa 16

With Applebee 17-16 could go either way

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thats really how I feel.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I can tell you that 3 previous QB's, all on our roster at one time, together are currently on NFL rosters. All transferred, started and did well at their new schools. Our 2 current starters transferred in and have sucked at their new school.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can tell you that 3 previous QB's, all on our roster at one time, together are currently on NFL rosters. All transferred, started and did well at their new schools. Our 2 current starters transferred in and have sucked at their new school.
I' thinking of all the starting QB's in the NFL right now and which of them are considered elite. Guess what I've noticed?
Tom Brady (2/3) - Didn't start 27 games
Eli manning (3/3)
Kirk Cousins (3/3)
Andrew Luck (3/3)
Carson Palmer (1/3) - started 26 games in college
Russell Wilson (3/3)
Dak Prescott (maybe to early to know for sure) (2/3) - Low Wonderlic Score.
Matty Ice (2/3) - Not a 60% college passer
Philip Rivers (3/3)
Aaron Rogers (3/3)
Derek Carr (2/3) - Low Wonderlic
Drew Brees (3/3)
All played 4 years.

Came out early.

Cam (2/3) - Low Wonderlic Score
Bortles (3/3)
big Ben. (2/3) - Low Wonderlic Score

I might can see taking Ben over Palmer or Prescott in the above group but for the most part, I'd rather have the 4 year group than the left early Group. I could throw in Peyton in the 4 year group but I think you get the picture.

26-27-60

26 Wonderlic Score
27 College Starts
60 percent completion percentage.

More often than not, if a player hits all three of those, they will be successful in the NFL. Updated your list with if they fit the three criteria.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that LDR isn't in the conversation for starter shows you that the injury was just an excuse for him to safe face instead of a straight up benching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb