Arizona State coach Herm Edwards says he may cut scholarship players

If you could only have one in 2018, which would it be?

• Top 5 Offense

Votes: 34 42.5%
  • Win the SEC but miss the playoff

Votes: 46 57.5%

• Total voters

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
:scratchchin: Hmmm . . .

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rds-warns-cuts-scholarship-players/483571002/

Edwards told his players before they began the fourth week of spring practice that cuts likely are coming, including to some with scholarships if performance dictates after the spring game April 13.

Edwards, an NFL head coach for eight years, then repeated that message to the media after practice, saying any scholarship players who are cut would retain their financial aid if they opt to stay at ASU as a student.

“I told some guys who continue to stay in the training room, you’ve got no tape. I can’t grade you if you’re not on tape. All of a sudden, guys got well. It’s amazing. Sometimes these players think with 85 scholarships, I’m good. You’re not good. You’ve earned a scholarship because of your ability to be a student-athlete. It’s a combination of both. When you don’t meet that standard, there’s consequences. Consequences are sometimes tough. If I don’t apply those consequences, then I’m not doing my job as head coach.”

“It ain’t 'might'. He’s going to cut some people,” incumbent starting quarterback Manny Wilkins said. “When you get to the league (NFL), your locker one day is going to be cleaned out. It’s the harsh and brutal reality of football. We’ve only got five practices left. I bet you’ll see a difference in some guys now in their attitude and how they’re acting.

“You’re accountable to compete every day,” Edwards said. “You don’t lose your scholarship, you lose the ability to play. It’s always worked that way in football. That’s how you become a competitive team. You want to get in the two-deep. You should want to play. You don’t want to sit four years and sit the bench.”

Edwards said having fewer players short term due to cuts would not hurt because, typically, 45 players are used in a game.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
They should lose their financial aid, too. If you're brought on to a school solely because of your athletic prowess (as are 99% of them), then you should lose it all if you're worthless. Go get student loans like everyone else if you want to stay on and get a degree.

As a head coach, I would also make sure that any cuts I made were directly in front of the entire team, with the cut player having to clean out his locker while everyone watched in silence.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
As a head coach, I would also make sure that any cuts I made were directly in front of the entire team, with the cut player having to clean out his locker while everyone watched in silence.
Vindictive a little? No need to humiliate a young person. Maybe they just cant do college work or are far from home or who knows. Plenty of slots for D1 kids to go play without your scarlet letter to send them off.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Herm was the most puzzling hire this offseason until you look at who the AZ State athletic director is and his past affiliation with Herm.

Upon getting a football jersey, Herm said is this a girls' jersey. He couldn't believe how small the jerseys are. So now he has several great things going for him for recruiting. 1. He hasnt coached in forever 2. He apparently has no clue about modern advances in attire and 3. Kids will be excited to get recruited and then cut. Good luck Herm!

http://footballscoop.com/news/video-behind-scenes-herm-edwards-first-day-arizona-state/

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Vindictive a little? No need to humiliate a young person. Maybe they just cant do college work or are far from home or who knows. Plenty of slots for D1 kids to go play without your scarlet letter to send them off.

I don’t think he was being serious

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Public humiliation has always been the best deterrent for a healthy society, and sadly we've gotten away from it in this country.

You should try it more with your students.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Would Edwards be willing to bring in walk-on players if he ends up well short on scholly players? It's not like he can go out and bring in transfers like the NFL does with free agents and players on the waiver wire. We'll see if Herm is still around after 2 seasons.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Herm was the most puzzling hire this offseason until you look at who the AZ State athletic director is and his past affiliation with Herm.

Upon getting a football jersey, Herm said is this a girls' jersey. He couldn't believe how small the jerseys are. So now he has several great things going for him for recruiting. 1. He hasnt coached in forever 2. He apparently has no clue about modern advances in attire and 3. Kids will be excited to get recruited and then cut. Good luck Herm!

http://footballscoop.com/news/video-behind-scenes-herm-edwards-first-day-arizona-state/

Agree, the hire was a big-time head scratcher. He also took the job relatively cheap (for modern day P5 salaries - somewhere around $2 million/year).

It's understandable to agree w/ this move, but in the grand scheme if he cuts a 'good' kid that will lead to his program getting banned by some HS coaches at their schools. Getting booted from a big in-state HS program could kill a college program. If he cuts several kids, it could lead to several HS's banning A-State. If the kid is a major POS w/ arrests, academic, and/or other issues by all means. But he should consult w/ Saban, Kirby, Les Miles, and a few others on how to 'push' a kid out properly....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's understandable to agree w/ this move, but in the grand scheme if he cuts a 'good' kid that will lead to his program getting banned by some HS coaches at their schools. Getting booted from a big in-state HS program could kill a college program.... But he should consult w/ Saban, Kirby, Les Miles, and a few others on how to 'push' a kid out properly....
Ahhhh yes. The "If We Guarantee Shytty Players Five Years of Scholly We Will Mop Up Recruiting" theory rewrapped.

Weve kept every shytty players for years. How has that helped our recruiting?

Winning helps recruiting, period.

Keep shytty players keeps you from winning, period.

Good for Herm.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ahhhh yes. The "If We Guarantee Shytty Players Five Years of Scholly We Will Mop Up Recruiting" theory rewrapped.

Good for Herm.

I didn't say to keep sh*tty players....I said to do it the Saban/Kirby/Les way and "help" them find somewhere to transfer...or 'push' them out...etc. No way am I saying to 'cut' players openly, that's sounds great to us, but is a bad look for the program. If it was that easy, every program would be doing it (cutting players). I still want to know why Andrew MIke is on the roster!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I guess if they still get their scolly this would be legal, just like riding the bench. I hope we go back to looking at walk ons intensively.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016

Good for Herm.
Actually, Donk, I thought of you when I read the article before posting it. You made that point sometime last season, which prompted me to consider it for the first time. I see your point, but I'm not there wholeheartedly. I think ol' Herm is just firing a shot across the bow, and has his qb shilling for him. Sounds like it's working.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we go back to looking at walk ons intensively.
I wish we just recruited more SEC caliber players.

Walkons arent what the used to be. Every North Central Podunk State team now offers 85 schollies and every team east of the Mississippi has one dude dedicated to recruiting Florida.

We dont have good players hiding out as walkons on our scout team.

Hell we dont even have good players on our #3 team. Or #2 team at some positions.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I wish we just recruited more SEC caliber players.

Walkons arent what the used to be. Every North Central Podunk State team now offers 85 schollies and every team east of the Mississippi has one dude dedicated to recruiting Florida.

We dont have good players hiding out as walkons on our scout team.

Hell we dont even have good players on our #3 team. Or #2 team at some positions.

RJ Raymond says hello!! :D

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I don’t think he was being serious
He was being ox. If a teacher humiliated his son in front of the class the song changes................
But there is a time and place for this sort of thing. Peers usually know whats going on and if the leadership is there they police themselves pretty well. Peer pressure can be a good thing but you gotta monitor either way, especially the younger they are.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
RJ Raymond says hello!! :D
Yeah, I love RJ Raymond. But he was the goat of the Ga Southern loss too, along with that other walkon LB.

He is also too slow for LB and too small for DL. That is why he was a walkon. FB maybe.

He is also one dude in the last 8 years out of several hundred.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah, I love RJ Raymond. But he was the goat of the Ga Southern loss too, along with that other walkon LB.

He is also too slow for LB and too small for DL. That is why he was a walkon. FB maybe.

He is also one dude in the last 8 years out of several hundred.

Raymond was here in 2013?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.