ARTICLE: Hire VT's Justin Fuente

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No one takes Grundy seriously with that haircut. Nor should they.

I’m relieved he’s not even on Stricklin’s radar.
Why do you not fully respect the hair game?

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
Yeah, I'd probably take Gundy over Frost, but only because he's 50 and a man and not 42 and a man.

And THIS is why I disagree with you and would go with Frost. He's nearly 10 years younger, but not so young that he's green and inexperienced. He's young and hungry and if he turns our program around like I believe he would, I think he might stay a long while.

Frost all the way

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gundy would be a nobody without the “I’m a man” meltdown and the mullet. So we’d be hiring a sound bite and a haircut.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's 9-4 counting a bowl game. That's loser status. No thanks.

In Frost we trust.

Well, since great head football coaches apparently grow on trees around here, I have to agree.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ah.....then perhaps we should have just hired Mark Richt?

Gundy will never, ever, win a title at any level. If he left to be a high school coach, he couldn't win one there.

He's a perennial also ran. Can't for the life of me see why anyone thinks this guy is the answer. Of all the Big 12 coaches he would be my 3rd or 4th choice. He's managed to win 1....1.....Big 12 Championship in 12 years. How the hell is he going to win an SEC Championship? As you said, his best and worst attribute is that he's just good enough not to get fired.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Florida coaching search: What you need to know about Justin Fuente

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-coaching-search-justin-fuente

Virginia Tech’s Justin Fuente has the track record for offensive success and quarterback development. He has experience coaching in a Power 5 conference and has experience leading the charge in turning a football program around.

The 41-year-old coach from Tulsa, Okla., has been a hot name as of late among a Florida fan base looking for its next coach.

Here’s what you need to know about Justin Fuente:

Justin Fuente’s coaching resume
After spending 11 seasons in position coach or coordinator roles at Illinois State (quarterbacks coach from 2001-2003; offensive coordinator from 2004-2006) and TCU (running backs coach from 2007-2008; co-offensive coordinator from 2009-2011), Fuente became the head coach at Memphis in 2012, a role he held for four years.

During his time with the Tigers, he turned around a team that had won no more than two games each of its past three seasons to a program that won 19 games in his final two years. Memphis joined the American Athletic Conference in 2013, Fuente’s second year on the job. In 2014, Fuente led the team to a 10-3 record, a conference title and the program’s first bowl win since 2005.

After going 9-3 at Memphis in 2015, Fuente accepted the head coaching job at Virginia Tech. He went 10-4 in his first season with the Hokies and led the team to the ACC Championship Game, where they ultimately lost to Clemson. Virginia Tech is 7-2 this season, with the two losses coming against top-10 conference opponents in Clemson and Miami.

Quarterback development
Fuente coached quarterback Paxton Lynch during the entirety of his tenure at Memphis. Lynch redshirted his freshman year in 2012 before starting his final three seasons. In those three years, Lynch recorded 8,863 passing yards, 59 touchdowns and 23 interceptions over 38 career games before being selected 26th overall by the Denver Broncos in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Lynch ranks second all-time in Memphis history for just about every passing statistic.

Fuente also developed quarterback Andy Dalton — now the starting quarterback for the Cincinnati Bengals and a second-round draft pick in 2011 — during his tenure as offensive coordinator at TCU.

Fuente’s starting quarterback this season at Virginia Tech, redshirt freshman Josh Jackson, is completing 62.2 percent of his passes and has thrown for 2,229 yards and 17 touchdowns in nine games. His 247.7 passing yards per game ranks 36th nationally.

Marquee games
Fuente is 3-9 all-time against top-25 opponents (1-4 in four years at Memphis; 2-5 at Virginia Tech) and is 9-4 in ACC play since taking over at Virginia Tech. His biggest win during his tenure at Memphis was a 37-24 win against Ole Miss in 2015, Memphis’s first win in the Mid-South Rivalry since 2004 and the first time the Tigers defeated a ranked opponent since 1996. That Ole Miss team had beaten No. 2 Alabama a few weeks earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.