Article That Already Has Pumpers Screaming

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
No matter what you think of NordNuss, the blame goes to the man at the top. You don't blame your subordinates, you fix the problem. If you don't, you are the problem.
Of interest I was talking to a retired GPD guy after the game, he said they rarely had problems with the payers during his time, and if they saw a rash of it, it was always due to a lax coach. YMMV.

Go Gators

Yep, and releasing them at the end of the year would be fixing the problem. We aren't hiring an OC mid-season and I don't know who on the staff I would trust at OC.

Edit: And Mac is more lax than he was after he became a national story for ripping Kelvin Taylor against ECU

FlGator19382

Oct 7, 2017
Cards on the table I think IF Mac dumps Nuss and Nord at the end of the year (more on that in a sec), I'd give him a Year 4:
  1. Do it at the end of the season (even bowl game) to secure the Early Enrollees.
  2. This class is something good, worth a Year for contingent on NO NUSS.
  3. Any coordinator with a pulse could probably do serious damage with at least 3/5 of the O-Line returning, Davis/Perine returning, Toney, Massey, Cleveland, Robinson (if healthy), Copeland, and others.
  4. Not convinced we'd get a great coach firing Mac after 2 East title crowns. I've said many times, with how bad the SEC East has been, Champ would have won the East those years (He faced better UGA, Mizzou and USCe teams).
  5. I think Brohm will still be available. (I like Frost, but until he doesn't end up in Lincoln at the end of the year I'm assuming that's where he ends up).
  6. Mac has done a lot of great off the field things for the program, granted the on the field has been lacking.

If Mac was any good his fatass wouldn't need an OC and he could call his own plays.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
If Mac was any good his fatass wouldn't need an OC and he could call his own plays.

For the rest of the year or in general? Rest of the year? maybe. In general? Well, then let's apply that logic to coaches around the country who have coordinators on "their side" of the ball.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Good teams don't let inferior opponents only be one play away. Equal to better opponents yes, but inferior opponents no.
A&M and LSU are equal opponents. So are UK and Tennessee unfortunately. The SEC is a 2 team league with Alabama, then probably a pretty large drop off to the Ball-lickers. After that everyone else is pretty much trash and we're near the bottom of that trash pile.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A&M and LSU are equal opponents. So are UK and Tennessee unfortunately. The SEC is a 2 team league with Alabama, then probably a pretty large drop off to the Ball-lickers. After that everyone else is pretty much trash and we're near the bottom of that trash pile.

I agree that LSU and Tam might be of equal standing talent wise... but both Tennessee and UK are below us. That is with our $hit recruiting. We should have had Tennessee, UK and Vandy games done before the 4th quarter began.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I agree that LSU and Tam might be of equal standing talent wise... but both Tennessee and UK are below us. That is with our $hit recruiting. We should have had Tennessee, UK and Vandy games done before the 4th quarter began.
I think Butch has recruited as well or better than Mac so I don't see us having a significant talent gap on them, especially with us playing with a shortened roster. But I actually saw the disaster for the toothless nation coming a mile away. They have a bad coach but had a helluva good Senior college QB in Dobbs. He was carrying the inept coaching staff and you don't just replace a guy like that with no drop-off. It was kind of like losing their Tebow to a lesser extent.

Agree that we have more talent than UK and Vandy but those games become even matchups when you have our coaches.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
"For some reason, Shannon never placed a spy on the Aggies’ fleet-footed QB, Kellen Mond"

Someone needs to go back and watch the game. Shannon did so on numerous occasions. The spy's were just too slow to respond. H called a number of contained rushes but our d-ends failed in epic fashion. Reese was the one made a spy the most. He looked like he was in quicksand.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Butch has recruited as well or better than Mac so I don't see us having a significant talent gap on them, especially with us playing with a shortened roster. But I actually saw the disaster for the toothless nation coming a mile away. They have a bad coach but had a helluva good Senior college QB in Dobbs. He was carrying the inept coaching staff and you don't just replace a guy like that with no drop-off. It was kind of like losing their Tebow to a lesser extent.

Agree that we have more talent than UK and Vandy but those games become even matchups when you have our coaches.

This years Tennessee team wasn't as talented, and obviously not as experienced. The last two years ('15 & '16) Tennessee had similar or maybe better overall talent than we did, and Butch Jones, Butch Jones in 2015. Butters wouldn't let Butch choke the game away in 2016. This year, we were the better overall roster and Butch Jones still was given the chance to Butch the game away.

FlGator19382

Oct 7, 2017
For the rest of the year or in general? Rest of the year? maybe. In general? Well, then let's apply that logic to coaches around the country who have coordinators on "their side" of the ball.

Plenty of coaches call their own plays here's a few of them
224fbba78e57ea927e07203e1d5fc799.jpg
d7c1bf1bf3f5b256cc597ae5efa1370f.jpg

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I do not understand how the author could say all that he says, and then conclude with "I'm not saying fire McElwain yet..." Why in heaven's name not? You just gave us an entire article of why he should be. I just don't get it.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Add in Nord and incompetent ST's play and it's the final nail in the coffin.

Again, McElwain should have let both Nord and Nussmeir go last off-season. Instead, he gave both a contract extension and pay raise.

Seriously, WHAT THE F*CK?!?!?
We have a coffin of nails.

Someone needs to modify this.

nails-in-the-coffin-obama-nails-in-coffin-iStyCa.jpg

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
I do not understand how the author could say all that he says, and then conclude with "I'm not saying fire McElwain yet..." Why in heaven's name not? You just gave us an entire article of why he should be. I just don't get it.

Those were EXACTLY my thoughts. The whole article justified why he needs to be shown the door.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Plenty of coaches call their own plays here's a few of them
224fbba78e57ea927e07203e1d5fc799.jpg
d7c1bf1bf3f5b256cc597ae5efa1370f.jpg

A quick search of a few of those like Miami, Arizona, and FSU all have OC's. Arizona has Co-OC's and FSU has a Co-OC. So...yes he could take over, doesn't mean that OC couldn't be replaced. I'm more concerned on the recruiting standpoint than this issue.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac can't fire Nuss now, it would expose him as the root of the problem. Whether he decided to call the plays himself, (extra risky because it would point 100% that the game plan and calling was on him) or hire/promote a new OC, which won't change anything so at the end of the year Mac and company should be shown the door.

Stricklin needs to be hearing from the bull gators that this shiatshow has to end ASAP. He needs to be actively putting out feelers now. And most important, DO NOT let Foley be involved.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

The writer is in the let the season play out and make a fully informed decision camp. I don't disagree with him and like him I am pretty pessimistic that things will change.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Well McElwain is not likely to be fired after 3 seasons and winning the East at least 2 of those seasons. So the question is not fire everyone or not, the question is do you want to just muddle through next season with a pat hand or do you want changes made.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
All you need in college ball is one big play at the correct time (for most games). LSU got one in each of the last two games which could have been called either way. Last game against Auburn could have been called back with blatant push in the back and the in our game could have been called an interception instead of a completion. Aggies needed one long Kirk run to setup the game winning FG. Alabama is the only team that uses stud RBs to rape opposing teams into submission. Rest of the teams need one big play or lucky break.
Yep...we got the lucky breaks against UK and Ut or else we’d be 1-5 right now. Phew, don’t we feel lucky? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator