Article That Already Has Pumpers Screaming

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
"For some reason, Shannon never placed a spy on the Aggies’ fleet-footed QB, Kellen Mond"

Someone needs to go back and watch the game. Shannon did so on numerous occasions. The spy's were just too slow to respond. H called a number of contained rushes but our d-ends failed in epic fashion. Reese was the one made a spy the most. He looked like he was in quicksand.
There were also several times that both playing ILB dropped off the LOS when clearly one of the should have been up spying, but didn’t, either by bad coaching or because they didn’t understand their assignments... or both.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

I tend to agree with you. My biggest fear though is that next McElwain does just enough again not to get fired again and this happens year after year after year.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
The writer is in the let the season play out and make a fully informed decision camp. I don't disagree with him and like him I am pretty pessimistic that things will change.
Let the season play out...why? Come on, the guy didn't even know he had a time out left. As pointed out he makes rookie, amateur hour mistakes every single week. Exactly what is going to happen to change how this is ultimately going to end? There's nothing left to let play out.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A&M and LSU are equal opponents. So are UK and Tennessee unfortunately. The SEC is a 2 team league with Alabama, then probably a pretty large drop off to the Ball-lickers. After that everyone else is pretty much trash and we're near the bottom of that trash pile.
Yes sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie. I put that envelope under that pile of trash. /Mac

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Let the season play out...why? Come on, the guy didn't even know he had a time out left. As pointed out he makes rookie, amateur hour mistakes every single week. Exactly what is going to happen to change how this is ultimately going to end? There's nothing left to let play out.

I know your point. However, I'll stand by this (I'm not the writer of the article, but I agree with him), if we were to drop Mac now or even this season (sorry guys) it would be a perception issue. I'm not saying I agree with the following, but here's what I mean by perception issues:

1. We would not be giving him a chance to switch assistants and right the ship. Although most of us would say it's for 3 years of offensive failure/luck in close games against inferior opponents fizzling out and catching up with us, that's not how it would be seen by other coaches. You know, the guys we'd want to bring in. Any coach looking at us would think that we'd turn on him at any sign of failure.
  2. I've said it here and other places that I think the 2 East Crowns in a much watered down East that Champ would have won facing that level of competition is a joke, BUT the outside perception is that it isn't. The perception of some coaches would be that he would get fired if he failed to win the East.
  3. If we dropped him now we would send a message (again I don't agree, but if you think that coaches we would hire know all the details we do, you are mistaken) that 3 losses or losing at home is unacceptable. Again, I know for us it is a cumulative thing, but sometimes we have to look at a picture of what the world outside of UF fans would think.
  4. Also, the whole injury/suspension factor. The article does point out how much it has really had an impact, but again, and I hate to be the pumper side, the outside perception is that all of these things have added up.
I frequently disagree with the talking heads hear in Gainesville on WRUF, but I do agree with Steve Russell in this, the only way Mac doesn't get a year 4, realistically, is if the team quits on him. For the sake of actually being a place a coach would not be hesitant to go to, at least let Mac try and build some goodwill the back half of the season. If he refuses to dump Nuss/Nord, I'd drop him immediately. If he is willing to give a guy a chance to come in here, my rule is top half of the SEC offense in year 1 or bust. Our defense, which may be turning a corner, will be a lot better next year as guys will not only have experience, but have gone through an entire season, spring practice/workout program, and summer. If we have an offense with a pulse we should be fine...granted if we had one with a pulse for the past 7, imagine the places we'd have gone.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Agree w/ you on Butters poor decision making (and lack of "split second" decision making).....but Jim Tressel was/is 100x's the coach Butters is! He's not Nick Saban or Spurrier, but he was a very good coach for OSU and Youngstown State w/ a NC under his belt (I know, Miami got robbed). Regardless, Butters wet dream is to be in the same league w/ a coach like Tressel!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I know your point. However, I'll stand by this (I'm not the writer of the article, but I agree with him), if we were to drop Mac now or even this season (sorry guys) it would be a perception issue. I'm not saying I agree with the following, but here's what I mean by perception issues:

1. We would not be giving him a chance to switch assistants and right the ship. Although most of us would say it's for 3 years of offensive failure/luck in close games against inferior opponents fizzling out and catching up with us, that's not how it would be seen by other coaches. You know, the guys we'd want to bring in. Any coach looking at us would think that we'd turn on him at any sign of failure.
  2. I've said it here and other places that I think the 2 East Crowns in a much watered down East that Champ would have won facing that level of competition is a joke, BUT the outside perception is that it isn't. The perception of some coaches would be that he would get fired if he failed to win the East.
  3. If we dropped him now we would send a message (again I don't agree, but if you think that coaches we would hire know all the details we do, you are mistaken) that 3 losses or losing at home is unacceptable. Again, I know for us it is a cumulative thing, but sometimes we have to look at a picture of what the world outside of UF fans would think.
  4. Also, the whole injury/suspension factor. The article does point out how much it has really had an impact, but again, and I hate to be the pumper side, the outside perception is that all of these things have added up.
I frequently disagree with the talking heads hear in Gainesville on WRUF, but I do agree with Steve Russell in this, the only way Mac doesn't get a year 4, realistically, is if the team quits on him. For the sake of actually being a place a coach would not be hesitant to go to, at least let Mac try and build some goodwill the back half of the season. If he refuses to dump Nuss/Nord, I'd drop him immediately. If he is willing to give a guy a chance to come in here, my rule is top half of the SEC offense in year 1 or bust. Our defense, which may be turning a corner, will be a lot better next year as guys will not only have experience, but have gone through an entire season, spring practice/workout program, and summer. If we have an offense with a pulse we should be fine...granted if we had one with a pulse for the past 7, imagine the places we'd have gone.

I saw your take on swampgas....and I understand where you're coming from, but disagree w/ the idea a coach wouldn't take this job due to "perception".

A job like UF doesn't come along every day. These coaches have ego's and most of them think they can walk into any situation and win. It's why a guy like PJ Fleck took the Minnesota job (he could have held out another year and landed a Tennessee, Texas A&M, or UF type job). They also know they are going to land a financially lucrative deal, anywhere from $3 million to $4+ million....guaranteed money. So, even if they fail on the field they are set for life.

As far as replacing Nord/Nussmeir, that should have been done last year. So the idea that "he didn't get a chance to replace his assistants" is bunk. McElwain stubbornly hung onto those two dud coaches and we (Gator Nation) are paying for it every week.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

11.png

Also, I think it is total BS that this "perception" thing would hold us back from hiring anyone. You get what you pay for...period.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017

My perception right now is that we suck. No need to see any more and our record at the end of the season doesn't matter either. We have not improved one iota from the time McElwain was hired.

We would not be giving him a chance to switch assistants and right the ship.

He's had 2 1/2 years to switch failing assistant coaches, but hasn't.

I've said it here and other places that I think the 2 East Crowns in a much watered down East that Champ would have won facing that level of competition is a joke, BUT the outside perception is that it isn't. The perception of some coaches would be that he would get fired if he failed to win the East.

Why do you think that other coaches' perceptions of the SEC East are so different from ours? Everyone know that East has been down. I would think that college football coaches, regardless of conference, should know better than anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator