Athlon picks the East champ

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Aren't they the only team that "relevant" in the east with a returning starting quarterback.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They have a QB. It's that simple.
I was going to post about Eason's weak ass stats, however, I thought about your post here more, and you're right, it is that simple. No other team in the east that would even partly be considered to have an actual shot to win the east has an established QB.

I actually think by the end of the season, UT could likely be better than UGA. I'm not overly impressed with Eason, and if he has a weak WR group and an OL that can't block...well we know how that turns out. Smart really is Chump 2.0 :lol:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was going to post about Eason's weak ass stats, however, I thought about your post here more, and you're right, it is that simple. No other team in the east that would even partly be considered to have an actual shot to win the east has an established QB.

I actually think by the end of the season, UT could likely be better than UGA. I'm not overly impressed with Eason, and if he has a weak WR group and an OL that can't block...well we know how that turns out. Smart really is Chump 2.0 :lol:

Honestly, Eason didn't overly impress last year....and looked downright bad at times. However, the kid was a true freshman playing under a 1st year coach. It should be expected to assume he'll show natural progression and improve as he matures (from year to year). So, I'm going to assume he plays better this year. How much better, who knows? But, better than last year. He does need his supporting cast to perform however, and if his OL is porous and his WR's keep dropping passes, etc he could have a not so good year. But again, who knows? He could be a future Heisman winner, or lose his job to another QB. I think it's way too early to assume Smart is another Muschamp. He is one of (if not THE) longest tenured Saban assistant, unlike Muschamp who had been away from Saban for 4 or so years before taking the UF job.

I think Tennessee is going to be okay at QB. Their defense fell apart last year. So they could easily be an 8-4 type team again. Jones hasn't shown much more than to be a middle of the road coach, 7 to 9 wins. He's recruited solidly, so he could have a breakout year one of these years....but doubtful.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, Eason didn't overly impress last year....and looked downright bad at times. However, the kid was a true freshman playing under a 1st year coach. It should be expected to assume he'll show natural progression and improve as he matures (from year to year). So, I'm going to assume he plays better this year. How much better, who knows? But, better than last year. He does need his supporting cast to perform however, and if his OL is porous and his WR's keep dropping passes, etc he could have a not so good year. But again, who knows? He could be a future Heisman winner, or lose his job to another QB. I think it's way too early to assume Smart is another Muschamp. He is one of (if not THE) longest tenured Saban assistant, unlike Muschamp who had been away from Saban for 4 or so years before taking the UF job.

I think Tennessee is going to be okay at QB. Their defense fell apart last year. So they could easily be an 8-4 type team again. Jones hasn't shown much more than to be a middle of the road coach, 7 to 9 wins. He's recruited solidly, so he could have a breakout year one of these years....but doubtful.
agree 100% on all points.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Eason's stats weren't weak. He threw for 2400 yards, 16tds, 8ints and a 55 completion percentage. That's oustanding for a true freshman. Get real. :headslap:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Eason's stats weren't weak. He threw for 2400 yards, 16tds, 8ints and a 55 completion percentage. That's oustanding for a true freshman. Get real. :headslap:

Exactly Maheo. Eason was a true freshman. If Franks (given that he starts) would throw for those stats I'd be happy.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Have you actually looked at his stats?
His best games were against Missouri and Vandy over 300. 3rd best game was 245 yards vs Kentucky. LDR did better against Kentucky. Sorry if I'm unimpressed considering the opponents.

Outside of those 3 games, he averaged 153 yards per game (1531 yards) with 11 TD's and 7 INT's....but yea, he was outstanding
:rolleyes4:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4035003/jacob-eason

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Outside of those 3 games, he averaged 153 yards per game....but yea, he was outstanding

Yes I did. And my point stands. For a true freshman, he was impressive. Not many true freshman perform as well as he did. Statistically, it is one of the better seasons in college football history. Chad Henne's true freshman season is considered one of the best ever and he only thew for 2700 years and 25 tds. Same with Christian Hackenberg and his 2900yards, 20tds, 10ints, 58pct.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If there is a surprise and UF or Georgia doesn't win the East then Tenn probably will. That new QB looks like he may be legit.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes I did. And my point stands. For a true freshman, he was impressive. Not many true freshman perform as well as he did. Statistically, it is one of the better seasons in college football history. Chad Henne's true freshman season is considered one of the best ever and he only thew for 2700 years and 25 tds. Same with Christian Hackenberg and his 2900yards, 20tds, 10ints, 58pct.
Glad to see you're impressed with QB's who only show up against perennial powerhouses like Missouri, Vandy, and Kentucky :lol2:

1531 yards, 11 TD 7 INTs for an average of 153.1 yards 1.1 TD and 0.7 INT's per game. outside of those 3 really tough games
yup, impressive.

BTW, he really crushed it against South Carolina going 5 for 17 for 29 yards :rotfl:

Even Appleby was

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That is one thing that worries me about the East that all the starting QBs are returning except for Tenn's I think and he looked pretty good in that Spring game. Us and Tenn are the only teams with a big unknown there going into the season since LDR likely won't be the starter I would think.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Exactly Maheo. Eason was a true freshman. If Franks (given that he starts) would throw for those stats I'd be happy.

I hope Franks can complete closer to the 60% range, but with his gunslinger play that we heard about him at times in practice, a 2 to 1 Td to Int ratio may be the best we can hope for out of Franks.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
UF has proven two years in a row you don't need a good QB to win the SEC East. Seems like sports media prognosticators are suffering from ABF Syndrome. Anybody But Florida.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UF has proven two years in a row you don't need a good QB to win the SEC East. Seems like sports media prognosticators are suffering from ABF Syndrome. Anybody But Florida.
That's always been the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.