Athlon Ranks Next Year's QB's

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our offensive woes started under Addazio, longer than six years ago.

Last edited:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Any projection that our offense would be higher than 100s is questionable. That track record is now about 6 seasons long.

So you are still holding on to Muschumps legacy?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So you are still holding on to Muschumps legacy?

If your an offensive recruit what have we shown for the last 6-8 years that shows you, we will prepare you for the NFL:

Last 1000 yard reciever: Taylor Jacobs - 2002
Last 1000 yard rusher: Mike Gillislee - 2012 (before that 2004 Fason)
Last 3000 yard passer: Tim Tebow - 2007 (before that 2004 Leak)

We have had some pitiful offenses... if you are an offensive recruit looking to put up stats for the NFL, can you claim our offense is the place to do it.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Just saying you are sitting here trying to prove that coaches with track records should be compared to coaches without. I expect McElwain to show he isn't ready for Big Boy Football this year (not that he has shown that he is thus far), but when saying hey this shows how bad our coaching it... Lets compare guys with track records to guys without. The data just doesn't support it. It's grinding an axe just to grind an axe.

McElwain and his staff under recruited the quarterback position, which is why in year 3 we are where we are. Franks was extremely raw prospect, and our staff has no track record of developing any prospect. Both Tennessee and VT prospects could at least do their quarterback drops with correct footing and balance in their High School tape (youtube/rivals), Franks didn't even do that right during last years Spring Game.
Track record? Fuente has been at VT 1 year. He has a much lower rated QB than Franks that is also a true freshman. What track record warrants that Fuente's QB should be rated higher than Mac's?

Say what you want about Franks ability, but just about every ranking service had him as a top 5 QB. Josh Jackson was ranked in the 20's to 30's by those same evaluators. Are they all just a bunch of idiots?

This is much more about the state of Florida's offense under McElwain. Regardless of who the QB is they apparently don't have much confidence in him. If they did his dog Claribell would be ranked higher than a bunch of nobody's at UT and VT.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Just hope we have an O line and run game that will take the burden off the young QBs and hopefully open up the throwing game.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Track record? Fuente has been at VT 1 year. He has a much lower rated QB than Franks that is also a true freshman. What track record warrants that Fuente's QB should be rated higher than Mac's?

Say what you want about Franks ability, but just about every ranking service had him as a top 5 QB. Josh Jackson was ranked in the 20's to 30's by those same evaluators. Are they all just a bunch of idiots?

This is much more about the state of Florida's offense under McElwain. Regardless of who the QB is they apparently don't have much confidence in him. If they did his dog Claribell would be ranked higher than a bunch of nobody's at UT and VT.

I forgot that Fuente has never groomed a quarterback to be a 1st round draft pick as a head coach, I guess what was just my imagination... right? That didn't happen? I guess his time at Memphis where he groomed Lynch to a first round pick. TRACK RECORD. Who has McElwain groomed as a Head Coach as a Freshman on?

No one is saying to trust to coaches, as your trying to change my argument to be. There is just a lack of data. Two vastly different arguments. But keep trying to change my argument to fit yours.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This rating must be way too high, lot of the "experts" on this board said he was just an average QB while he was here. Who just happened to play good in a couple quarters.

Tools to be a very good to great SEC quarterback, just not a legend already by some the "experts" on the board. People act like he had already beat FSU, LSU, Alabama and won two national titles already after playing in 6 games.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Last 1000 yard reciever: Taylor Jacobs - 2002
Last 1000 yard rusher: Mike Gillislee - 2012 (before that 2004 Fason)
Last 3000 yard passer: Tim Tebow - 2007 (before that 2004 Leak)

We have had some pitiful offenses....
I struggle to find the words to describe my absolute disgust with this. Shyt show after shyt show and so much wasted talent.

If you were a parent or a HS coach, would you send your kid here?

Last edited:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Tools to be a very good to great SEC quarterback, just not a legend already by some the "experts" on the board. People act like he had already beat FSU, LSU, Alabama and won two national titles already after playing in 6 games.

Think we would have had a reasonable shot at beating LSU and Fsu with him. But whatever, doesn't matter now.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I struggle to find the words to describe my absolute disgust with this.

Shyt show after shyt show and so much wasted talent.

If you were a parent or a HS coach, would you send your kid here?

My point.. this isn't just a single head coach issue, this is systematic as a whole organization. Why would a top tier athlete on offense choose Florida? What have we shown in a decade or more that would make you think we are a show case for the NFL?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Think we would have had a reasonable shot at beating LSU and Fsu with him. But whatever, doesn't matter now.

I think we do to. But I'm not going to say we would, or that he was greatiness yet. He really only played one great pass defense (Missouri 8th Nationally) and teams at that point had 6 games of tape on him. Also we would still have Nusschamp as OC.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

I think Grier had the talent to be a top QB in the SEC. Too bad he is an idiot.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Grier had the talent to be a top QB in the SEC. Too bad he is an idiot.

As I said before he had the talent to be a very good to great SEC quarterback, and nothing that has happened has changed my opinion of that. Was he the best fit for our offense, no, but he is better than anything we have had on the field since Newton/Tebow. He made a decision that you can't make on this level of NCAA football, and whatever happened between McElwain, Wil and Chad is what caused the decision to go elsewhere.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I forgot that Fuente has never groomed a quarterback to be a 1st round draft pick as a head coach, I guess what was just my imagination... right? That didn't happen? I guess his time at Memphis where he groomed Lynch to a first round pick. TRACK RECORD. Who has McElwain groomed as a Head Coach as a Freshman on?

No one is saying to trust to coaches, as your trying to change my argument to be. There is just a lack of data. Two vastly different arguments. But keep trying to change my argument to fit yours.
I didn't think you were counting lower tier school coaching. If so then McElwain coached Garret Grayson who set many records at Colorado State and had much better stats and much higher QBR than Paxton Lynch. Before that Mac is credited with coaching up AJ McCarron.

You made this whole argument that Mac doesn't have a track record. Like he just appeared from out of nowhere when he got to Florida. But somehow Justin Fuente does has some huge track record.

I'm not trying to change anybody's argument. I simply posted an article and posed the question why would a school like Florida, and supposed offensive guru and a highly rate QB be ranked so low. You just always want to poopoo everyones post. It reminds me of sid who always wanted to play the contrarian in every thread.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
McCarron shouldn't count as the receivers were wide open most times they ran a play action pass etc.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't think you were counting lower tier school coaching. If so then McElwain coached Garret Grayson who set many records at Colorado State and had much better stats and much higher QBR than Paxton Lynch. Before that Mac is credited with coaching up AJ McCarron.

You made this whole argument that Mac doesn't have a track record. Like he just appeared from out of nowhere when he got to Florida. But somehow Justin Fuente does has some huge track record.

I'm not trying to change anybody's argument. I simply posted an article and posed the question why would a school like Florida, and supposed offensive guru and a highly rate QB be ranked so low. You just always want to poopoo everyones post. It reminds me of sid who always wanted to play the contrarian in every thread.

So McElwain coached both Grayson and AJ McCarron from Freshman to NFL Draft... I must have missed that. I guess Steve Fairchild would have an issue with that... maybe. Grayson was a Fairchild recruit and played under Fairchild as a Freshman. Now AJ Carron, McElwain was the OC (not Head Coach, again you changing the argument). There is a difference. I guess being an OC is the same as Head Coach?

I put forth and argument that the ranking make sense, which is we recruited a guy who wasn't college ready and we have a Head Coach without a Track Record. We were comparing Head Coaches coaching up Freshman.... As far as an supposed offensive guru, we've had 2 different years with offenses not being in the top half of the rankings in NCAA... that boat sailed a while ago.

I like how when you agree with me it's alright, when I don't I'm argumentative. Sure Tag... going to take you ball and go home.... do you need people to agree with you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.