Atlanta Falcons 2018 Scouting Report: DL Taven Bryan, Florida

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
This scouting report cites his need for "plenty of technique work" and "rawness" as among his weaknesses, which is consistent with some of the criticisms leveled at our previous HC.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/...s-2018-scouting-report-dl-taven-bryan-florida

[H]ere is a scouting report on an interesting prospect in the upcoming draft that fits what the Falcons are deploying on defense.

Taven Bryan Scouting Report

Height: 6'4

Weight: 295 lbs

Games watched: vs. Kentucky (2017), vs. Missouri (2017), vs. Florida State (2017)

Strengths: On film, Bryan stands out because of his burly body size and his often-unmatched strength. The 2017 season was his best campaign while at the University of Florida with 37 tackles, six tackles for loss and four sacks. His natural strength is a problem for single blockers as he can naturally be an anchor at the point of attack and rarely pushed back from opposing blockers.

Bryan fires off the ball very well and with his height, Bryan finds himself knifing through blockers fairly easy. He is a very powerful tackler and is very refined in that department. In run defense, Bryan has been noted to tie up blockers commonly which of course will allow his linebacking friends to roam free and create havoc. He is not necessarily known as a pass rusher but he does have the capability to generate pressure

Weaknesses: Bryan needs plenty of technique work. From hand usage to consistently adjusting his pad level, Bryan needs plenty of polish. His overall skill set has plenty of rawness to it so Bryan will need to time to round into form as a interior defender. Bryan does not necessarily have a ton of production attached to his name while at Florida. Prior to his 2017 season, Bryan only recorded 25 tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss in those two seasons.

Conclusion: Adding interior defensive line talent is pretty inevitable this offseason for the Falcons. Going back to last offseason on top of what could happen this upcoming offseason, the Falcons could be on the verge of losing about three or four defensive tackles from their rotation. So drafting a guy like Bryan could be even more important going forward. Bryan has the power to blend very well with the quickness of Grady Jarrett to form a devastating one-two punch.

If he tests well at the NFL Combine, there is a possibility that Bryan creeps into the late 1st round range due to his talent and potential. Do not let his impeding development take away from what he brings to the table in Atlanta. Bryan could be a nice fit on the defensive line for the Falcons in the interior and at times as a base defensive end on run downs. A solid second round grade fits Bryan at the moment and his presence on the Falcons roster will provide another building block for the young defense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thats a blog by the way. Not a real professional review and yet, pretty accurate imo.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
When they compare the coaching staff that he wad playing for to a pile of bull butter, he'll go even higher.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
My thoughts exactly, in addition to the fact that the HC was apparently not interested in doing any actual coaching. Imagine how good Taven could have been in college with real coaching.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
In bits and pieces, the laziness and ineptitude of our previous staff under McButters continues to be revealed. Such a pervasive stench fades very slowly. I am really looking forward to spring ball. Maybe that will help.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
In bits and pieces, the laziness and ineptitude of our previous staff under McButters continues to be revealed. Such a pervasive stench fades very slowly. I am really looking forward to spring ball. Maybe that will help.

And, around this time last year, Butters, Nord, and Nussmeir were all signing their new contracts.....with raises and extensions. It's unbelievable. You can't tell me nobody down there in the UAA didn't know what was going on (with the laziness and sh*t-show S&C program). Ineptitude is an understatement!!

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
And, around this time last year, Butters, Nord, and Nussmeir were all signing their new contracts.....with raises and extensions. It's unbelievable. You can't tell me nobody down there in the UAA didn't know what was going on (with the laziness and sh*t-show S&C program). Ineptitude is an understatement!!
I totally agree. The fiasco started at the top.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And, around this time last year, Butters, Nord, and Nussmeir were all signing their new contracts.....with raises and extensions. It's unbelievable. !
There are few things that made me madder than that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. Taven is criticized for inconsistency which is usually a code phrase for takes a few plays off. but that's not what it means with Taven. it's not the effort that is inconsistent it is the technique that is inconsistent. He knows how to play with the right form but sometimes he goes into Hulk mode and just starts wrestling, gets high, gets his shoulders turned etc.

Strength and conditioning is not a problem for him either. he's one of the strongest dudes on the team. will probably be near the top of the combine. that shows a lot really since he basically did it on his own.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Its just as bad if they DIDNT know. How do you allow your 130 million per year cash cow to be unsupervised? There have to be trusted people in the UAA who know something about football. There is no excuse for Gator football since 2010. It has been a complete embarassment and a disservice to our players.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not surprised.

I just wished he played like that his sophomore year too. It seems we got 1 good season out of him....and 1 mediocre to slightly above average season. If he gets proper coaching he'll be an NFL star. Plus his story is amazing (Navy SEAL dad, from Wyoming, over achiever, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator