Atlanta Hawks, Horford led, are playing real basketball

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I have despised the NBA for awhile. I would watch our guys but the game is too SS centered. Now with our guy in the center Atlanta has returned to
TEAM basketball where everyone can participate. This isolation crap of one on one is boring. Most of you actually saw the real deal when the 04s were here. Five puzzle pieces that all
fit perfectly to make a real team. The sum was TRULY greater than its parts.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Is it surprising that the key to the team focused basketball in Atlanta is Horford? Someone posted this a few months ago, but it's worth posting again.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/al-horford-atlanta-hawks-superstar/

Some quotes from the article.

“He is our cornerstone,” says Kyle Korver. “His example — it’s what the Hawks are. Or what we’re trying to be.”

“I appreciated him as a player, but not to the level I should have,” says Kenny Atkinson, a key Hawks assistant who worked with the Knicks until 2012. “Josh Smith and Joe Johnson overshadowed him. He is much better than I had thought.”

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What's funny is that, for years, many of the Hawks fans wanted to trade him away and try to get Dwight Howard to come play with Josh Smith. It just proves that NBA fans are mostly idiots and they don't care about good basketball...just high flying dunks.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They have already beaten Cleveland both home and away. The cav's best bet is for ATL to matchup with a team like the raptors in round 2. The hawks are simply a terrible
matchup for them. They have two athletic versatile post players that Love isn't capable of guarding. Two very good defensive SF who can give Lebron hell ( he had 10 TO's I think the last matchup), and a much better coach. Personally I think Love is one of the most overrated players in basketball. He's a very expensive pick and pop 4 that can't play a lick of D, and usually can't create a shot for himself.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n191353 said:
They have already beaten Cleveland both home and away. The cav's best bet is for ATL to matchup with a team like the raptors in round 2. The hawks are simply a terrible
matchup for them. They have two athletic versatile post players that Love isn't capable of guarding. Two very good defensive SF who can give Lebron hell ( he had 10 TO's I think the last matchup), and a much better coach. Personally I think Love is one of the most overrated players in basketball. He's a very expensive pick and pop 4 that can't play a lick of D, and usually can't create a shot for himself.

Irving is getting better and better. I think Cavs are the best team in the East, I just hope they never win a championship.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n191354 said:
Irving is getting better and better. I think Cavs are the best team in the East, I just hope they never win a championship.

Yeah Kyrie is great. Their 5 guy has no business starting on a decent NBA team. If Cleveland gets a good center that can protect the rim
they would be deadly.

Dec 10, 2014
stephenPE;n191308 said:
Real basketball in Atlanta. I have despised the NBA for awhile. I would watch our guys but the game is too SS centered. Now with our guy in the center Atlanta has returned to
TEAM basketball where everyone can participate. This isolation crap of one on one is boring. Most of you actually saw the real deal when the 04s were here. Five puzzle pieces that all
fit perfectly to make a real team. The sum was TRULY greater than its parts.

I don't know if the NBA or owners or players can change it, but I don't follow or care for NBA basketball because there is too much hype for individual players. I feel like for 10-15 years that I've had Kobe Bryant or Lebron James just pounded onto any coverage. It's a league that highlights individual accomplishments for sure. Also, I don't like the fact that the players travel all the time. I know this is a tired complaint from people, but play by the rules.

I disagree to an extent about team basketball. I feel the Spurs have been playing it for years. They are the only team that I watch and can really support. Glad Horford is doing well, but I won't just cheer for a pro team because of a Gator.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The spurs have been doing it pretty well awhile now, I am just happy another team with lots of no names are perfecting it (in the regular season anyway)

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n191353 said:

when the playoffs come around it's a different ball game and raptors won't be a factor. We'll also find out if the hawks are for real

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thread title sucks. I presume you know no one would click if you called this "Atl Hawks" or similiar.

When I'm in charge around here, baiting someone to click on a basketball thread unknowingly will be grounds for permaban.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Law98gator;n191888 said:
Thread title sucks. I presume you know no one would click if you called this "Atl Hawks" or similiar.

When I'm in charge around here, baiting someone to click on a basketball thread unknowingly will be grounds for permaban.

:lmao: I forgot about you and that aversion to a sissy game in short pants. Go play in the mchamp thread. I am still laughing.........

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n191888 said:

Well we all have our personal bias, and I don't think either you or me are going to be in charge any time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n192288 said:
and I don't think either you or me are going to be in charge any time.

:LIES: Jabber and I are shoe-ins.

Look, I like Horford. If the thread had been about the NCAA granting Emmitt Smith another year of eligibility and the science department making a time machine to make him young again, it still would have been a crappy thread title.

I know that Coach is in Publick Edyucayshun but it really isn't asking much to have a thread title. "Hey, guess what" or "Don't look now" isn't a thread title.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
:snob: I swear to G law, you are worth the price of omission............did you see what I did there;)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao: :smooch: Nothing but love, Coach.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I remember when mod meant cool hip or modern (obviously) The Mod Squad (who didnt love Peggy Lipton)
MV5BMjA5OTQzMTYyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQxMDU1MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator