Recruiting Auburn set to open brand new $28 million "recruiting center"

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'd say at least 60% of athletic revenue goes toward football, 15% basketball, 10% baseball, the rest of sports can divide the remaining 15% how they see fit. Football is the money maker, and I'm guessing basketball may turn a profit as well. Doubt any other sport does. I don't know what the actual breakdown is, but I'm guessing football gets nowhere near what I'm proposing. If it was, we'd be looking a whole lot better I would think.
Somewhere in the financial statement it said 83%

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You gotta see brick and mortar before you believe it? :lol:
Lol..... uhhh.... yes.

I mean, I guess I believe they will eventually get around to it, in five plus years (been three years already). Until then we can show pictures to the recruits I guess.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
83% of the money goes to football. Probably 99% comes from football.
No, for two decades the number has been a solid 17-18 percent. Even the pie chart shows that for 2018. The 83 million number for 2017 includes the IPF and distorts the picture entirely.

It also doesnt count the money 20-30m thru the years, that gets skimmed off the top and sent to the university and goes god knows where, probably lesbian studies.

Last edited:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I skimmed the "detailed" info the University put out. If you can tell who gets what I'm happy for you. If you want to run an operation this large you need to control every line item and that detail is not there. I don't see enough information to pass judgement on what they're allocating to whom.

How Gator Country came up with $82.5 million is beyond me. Do they have forensic accountants on staff? I'm guessing it was more like this:

Gator Country: Hey UF what do we spend on Football?
UF: $82.5
Gator Country: Thanks

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I skimmed the "detailed" info the University put out. If you can tell who gets what I'm happy for you. If you want to run an operation this large you need to control every line item and that detail is not there. I don't see enough information to pass judgement on what they're allocating to whom.

How Gator Country came up with $82.5 million is beyond me. Do they have forensic accountants on staff? I'm guessing it was more like this:

Gator Country: Hey UF what do we spend on Football?
UF: $82.5
Gator Country: Thanks

Yeah, it doesn't immediately jump out at you and I've looked at a lot their financial statements. If you don't know how to read statements you could draw all sorts of erroneous conclusions. But the summaries help paint a picture and comparing from previous years might give a complete picture. It's due diligence work for sure. You have to decide what you care about.
Bottom line is that there is plenty of money to give football all that it needs.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it doesn't immediately jump out at you and I've looked at a lot their financial statements. If you don't know how to read statements you could draw all sorts of erroneous conclusions. But the summaries help paint a picture and comparing from previous years might give a complete picture. It's due diligence work for sure. You have to decide what you care about.
Bottom line is that there is plenty of money to give football all that it needs.
I know how to read statements. But the ones posted here don't tell me where the money's going. Not at first glance at least. All we know is, as you've indicated, there is money available. Whether most of it is going to football I can't tell. Maybe I missed something.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know how to read statements. But the ones posted here don't tell me where the money's going. Not at first glance at least. All we know is, as you've indicated, there is money available. Whether most of it is going to football I can't tell. Maybe I missed something.
Breakdown by percent.
f09ccce94962de65f5ee62da48b74f24.jpg

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
If you want your cash cow to keep giving, you need it to be fed well, have a great pasture and barn. If your cow is on display, the barn and pasture needs to be really nice and in tip top condition to attract visitors.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
:dunno: I agree it doesn't jump out at you. There aren't line items shown for everything because it's a top level report. If I give someone my financials there's going to be a line for vehicle expenses but not lines for fuel, repairs, tolls etc. I may track that I may not. If they want it they'll have to ask.
I'm going from memory so I don't know if some of the info is on the P/L or in the explanation.

For example on the revenue side it says:
Football 57%
Basketball 10%
Other sports 3%
Auxillaries 1%
Camps 1%
Royalaties & Sponserships 16%
Student fees 2%
Other 5%
Non operating revenue 5%

So we know at least 57% but less than 87% (100-10-3) comes from football. So the question is how much of the other (in blue) is attributable to football. It's not in the line items or the explanation so I ask the UAA, who prolly does track it and they tell me a total of 83%. (edit:they didn't) Now I suppose under sunshine laws I could ask for the detailed financials but I'm willing to take their word.

Edit: they said 83% went to football not came from football.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Financial statements are glossovers designed to communicate the big picture.

The UAA is a tax-exempt organization under IRC 501(c)(3). The annual return on Form 990 contains the line items you're referring to -- and it's all public information.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990.pdf

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the tax return filed for 2016. I unfortunately can't find the kind of expense breakdown by sport I was hoping for, but it's a lot more detailed than the financial statement.

Interestingly, we paid 219k to a vendor named Auburn Tailgate Guys, LLC and Foley outearned Dr. Fuchs by 700k.

View attachment UAA 990 2016.pdf

Edit: How's this for a mission statement? It's cut off at the end.

UAA STRATEGIC PURPOSE - PROVIDE A CHAMPIONSHIP EXPERIENCE WITH INTEGRITY ON AND OFF THE FIELD FOR STUDENT-ATHLETES AND THE GATOR NATION UAA VISION STATEMENT - BE THE MODEL COLLEGIATE ATHLETICS PROGRAM, COMBINING EXCELLENCE AND INTEGRITY IN ACADEMICS, ATHLETICS AND FAN ENGAGEMENT TO ELEVATE THE UF BRAND UAA CORE VALUES - PASSION WE GIVE EVERYTHING WE HAVE FOR THE PEOPLE AND PLACE WE LOVE WE LOVE WHAT WE DO AND WHY WE DO IT INTEGRITY WE ACT IN A FAIR, ETHICAL AND HONEST MANNER WE DO THINGS THE RIGHT WAY EVERY DAY EXCELLENCE WE STRIVE TO PERFORM AND ACHIEVE AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL IN ALL THAT WE DO WE CONTINOUSLY IMPROVE AND DEMAND A HIGHER LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE THAN WHAT IS NECESSARY RESPECT WE TREAT EACH OTHER WITH FAIRNESS, HONESTY, KINDNESS AND CIVILITY INNOVATION WE FIND CREATIVE SOLUTIONS AND EMBRACE CHANGE TEAMWORK WE PROMOTE COOPERATION BY SHARING INFORMATION AND WORKING TO UNDERSTAND EACH OTHERS PERSPECTIVE WE DISPLAY LOYALTY AS WE WORK TOGETHER TO CREATE A SUCCESSF

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Financial statements are glossovers designed to communicate the big picture.
:exactly:
Monthly cash flow statements might tell you more. What you really need is their detailed chart of accounts. Even tax returns are high level.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:exactly:
Monthly cash flow statements might tell you more. What you really need is their detailed chart of accounts. Even tax returns are high level.
I was hoping to find worksheets attached to Form 990. They would have revealed more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.