Austin Appleby to enroll at UF

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure that mich QB that lit us up for like a bazillion yards was a grad transfer harbaugh snagged up. :scratchchin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I don't want any part of this mud fight, but does anyone know whether this guy Etling that he beat out at Purdue has any chance to play at LSU?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If this guy was that good... he wouldn't be a grad transfer.. he would be in the draft. Don't expect much here other than much needed depth.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So you have this GT that was on a crappy team with crappy coaching but has a hand full of games under his belt. (Appleby)

A two time transfer with almost zero game experience. (Del Rio)

A true freshman that is raw and has no experience. (Franks)

A true freshman that doesn't even start in high school. (Trask)

And Treon Harris.

And you think Appleby will never see the field? I think he just went to the front of the line.

To be fair the two time transfer has had a full year learning the offense. The GT will come in early just like the other 2 guys and while he has experience they may have better physical skills. The key is that this may allow us to redshirt Franks and Trask instead of throwing them to the wolves early. I think Del Rio wins the job, but this kid may be #2.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's the kid that couldn't crack the rotation and transferred to Washington, right?
Ryan was a good 3 point shooter (career 40%+) and that was about it - we still had Walsh & Roberson, and Hump and just gotten on the team, plus we had Drejer, who could shoot from long range. He found a much nicer role at UW, averaging 25+ minutes and 10+ points a game.
Also, I couldn't find any proof these two guys are brothers. Austin grew up in Ohio, Ryan in Washington.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's the kid that couldn't crack the rotation and transferred to Washington, right?
He was one that got away. Tremendous 3 point shooter. He wasn't the most athletic but he was very efficient. Set all kind of 3 point records at UW and I believe he won some Pac 10 awards too. I can't pull up historical rosters, but I think he is one of the first of Billy's many transfers.

I'd take him over Hill or Chiozza any day of the week. I think he was here at the same time as Roberson, who Billy had some sort of fascination with.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ryan was a good 3 point shooter (career 40%+) and that was about it - we still had Walsh & Roberson, and Hump and just gotten on the team, plus we had Drejer, who could shoot from long range. He found a much nicer role at UW, averaging 25+ minutes and 10+ points a game.
Also, I couldn't find any proof these two guys are brothers. Austin grew up in Ohio, Ryan in Washington.

Sounds about right. Walsh didn't play point. Roberson may have been the slowest PG ever at UF (couldn't run an offense, just an overrated shooter), and Drejer was only here the one year (sick most of that year and didn't really play). Not sure if Drejer was here that year or not. I think Hump may have been a Fr too, but Hump wasn't near the shooter that Appleby was. I know no one wants to hear that, but Hump benefited largely from spot up kick outs. I don't think Hump ever could create his own space. Love Hump and glad he was a Gator, but he definitely had some limitations.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was one that got away. Tremendous 3 point shooter. He wasn't the most athletic but he was very efficient. Set all kind of 3 point records at UW and I believe he won some Pac 10 awards too. I can't pull up historical rosters, but I think he is one of the first of Billy's many transfers.

I'd take him over Hill or Chiozza any day of the week. I think he was here at the same time as Roberson, who Billy had some sort of fascination with.
Well, Roberson did actually play in the NBA for about 6 years.................Appleby? not so much. I can't find any evidence that he played beyond UW, but he has his own basketball camp. I did find this:

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, Roberson did actually play in the NBA for about 6 years.................Appleby? not so much. I can't find any evidence that he played beyond UW, but he has his own basketball camp. I did find this:

I would've take Appleby over Roberson at the college level. Roberson was a cancer. Walsh was an issue on the team too, but Roberson had a complete me-first attitude which doesn't bode well as a PG

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I
I would've take Appleby over Roberson at the college level. Roberson was a cancer. Walsh was an issue on the team too, but Roberson had a complete me-first attitude which doesn't bode well as a PG
I'd take Roberson right now.
Also, we had Hump and we only needed one slow dead-eye 3-point shooter, and I think we ended up with the best one. Ryan had a nice little thing at UW, better than he would have had if he had stuck around (other than missing out on a couple of NCs - that's gotta hurt).

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I'm concerned with Frank's not being the guy from day one. I'd like to not RS him and just let him play it's going to be a step back next year so why not get him game experience next year so when he's a SO we can compete for something other than an East title. Do we really want his 1st snaps to be against Michigan in the 1st game of the season 2017? I personally do not! At least let him compete for the job and get some mop up time if any is available which would have been none if it was this year but still. I'm in favor of getting him time during a down year cause we won't be competing for no titles next year and not the following if he's never taken a snap in a real game

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
From Austin appleby to Ryan appleby to Applebees 2 for 20 .. Lot of detours in this thread

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If he is starting forget about the season. And I never said anything close to what you are saying. I was responding to people acting like he is anything but filler. I did not say he was a difference maker or we should stick with Harris.

Feel free to quote where I said either . Can you or are you just straight up full of crap?

:confused:

Last edited:

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
I'm concerned with Frank's not being the guy from day one. I'd like to not RS him and just let him play it's going to be a step back next year so why not get him game experience next year so when he's a SO we can compete for something other than an East title. Do we really want his 1st snaps to be against Michigan in the 1st game of the season 2017? I personally do not! At least let him compete for the job and get some mop up time if any is available which would have been none if it was this year but still. I'm in favor of getting him time during a down year cause we won't be competing for no titles next year and not the following if he's never taken a snap in a real game

Most people never WANT to have a freshman starting at any position, but most certainly not at QB. (I wanted to say "no-one", but there's at least one person here who thinks differently.) Our best chance for good success is if Del Rio and/or Appleby are serviceable in 2016, and then we have Del Rio, Franks and Trask competing in 2017.

I'm not real concerned now about Frank's possible first snaps being against Michigan in 2017. What's much more important is that we don't want to have to be playing him as a true freshman QB in 2016 against Alabama or LSU in a game that means something. (And I like everything I've heard about Franks; it's not him, it's the "freshman" thing.)

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Most people never WANT to have a freshman starting at any position, but most certainly not at QB. (I wanted to say "no-one", but there's at least one person here who thinks differently.) Our best chance for good success is if Del Rio and/or Appleby are serviceable in 2016, and then we have Del Rio, Franks and Trask competing in 2017.

I'm not real concerned now about Frank's possible first snaps being against Michigan in 2017. What's much more important is that we don't want to have to be playing him as a true freshman QB in 2016 against Alabama or LSU in a game that means something. (And I like everything I've heard about Franks; it's not him, it's the "freshman" thing.)
I wouldn't want his 1st snaps to be against Bama or anyone like that either but I'm also not willing to give up 2 seasons if I can have him game ready by 2017. I can promise you Del Rio is not the answer and neither is this kid we just got, I'm not saying that Frank's is the answer next year either but we're bringing him in to be our Qb of the future so why not get him meaningful snaps in a season that has no national championships hopes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator