Austin Appleby to enroll at UF

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I'm concerned with Frank's not being the guy from day one. I'd like to not RS him and just let him play it's going to be a step back next year so why not get him game experience next year so when he's a SO we can compete for something other than an East title. Do we really want his 1st snaps to be against Michigan in the 1st game of the season 2017? I personally do not! At least let him compete for the job and get some mop up time if any is available which would have been none if it was this year but still. I'm in favor of getting him time during a down year cause we won't be competing for no titles next year and not the following if he's never taken a snap in a real game

Muschamp, is that you?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm concerned with Frank's not being the guy from day one. I'd like to not RS him and just let him play it's going to be a step back next year so why not get him game experience next year so when he's a SO we can compete for something other than an East title. Do we really want his 1st snaps to be against Michigan in the 1st game of the season 2017? I personally do not! At least let him compete for the job and get some mop up time if any is available which would have been none if it was this year but still. I'm in favor of getting him time during a down year cause we won't be competing for no titles next year and not the following if he's never taken a snap in a real game

That is a good point... after all... there is no history of QBs who play their first games as redshirt freshmen being really successful...

Well... except Johnny Manziel and Jameis Winston

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I hoping for anyone not named Treon Harris behind center next year.
Nav not that I disagree with you at all, but about 99% of this board said the same about JD and almost all of them would have rather had him than Harris this year.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
That is a good point... after all... there is no history of QBs who play their first games as redshirt freshmen being really successful...

Well... except Johnny Manziel and Jameis Winston

Wasnt the rapeist a red shirt?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I can't believe I just read this whole thread. :facepalm:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
170 posts of nothing. It's amazing how one person can turn a thread that would normally be 20 posts into 200. Message boards are great for piling on. :lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
170 posts of nothing. It's amazing how one person can turn a thread that would normally be 20 posts into 200. Message boards are great for piling on. :lol:
A bunch of people posting nothing about nothing is why message boards are such an important part of our life.....

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's an interesting article from 2013 called "So you're starting a true freshman quarterback..." by Matt Hinton at footballstudyhall.

He found that in the prior five years, from the six power conferences, only six true freshman quarterbacks that started a majority of their teams' games finished that season with an average (or slightly better than average) QB ranking. That's Terrelle Pryor (Ohio State, 8-2), RGIII (Baylor 4-7), Braxton Miller (Ohio State 4-6), Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville 5-5), Matt Barkley (USCW 9-3), and Perry Hills( Maryland 4-3.) Note the win-loss records.

Hinton goes to write:

So basically 100% of other 21 true freshman QBs who were thrown to the wolves didn't learn and progress from starting prematurely, they were instead (by inference) traumatized by the experience and NEVER BECAME QUALITY PLAYERS.

That's what the data says about your "why not get (Franks) meaningful snaps" question/hypothesis. if Del Rio manages to be average, that's likely to be much better for the Gators, and for Franks too....

Well that's a strong argument there... First thing I thought was you could throw Driskel in there too as a true freshman thrown to the wolves who never became a quality player...

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only thing I have against this Appleby kid is his first name.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
UR full of it. I'll ask you again...do you think he can win in the SEC? Yes or no? Then get the F back under your rock. I'm not taking any lip from no bartender.

How bout you get your azz back in mama's basement and let the men sort all of this out :snob:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I predict he'll be moved to CB, since we are lacking in numbers.

Hopefully, MAC will teach Thompson how to be a wildcat QB so that Treon will have no reason to ever play offense again.
It will be interesting to see what happens to Harris. Personally, I don't think he's cut out to play defense, so it's either the slot or the highway, IMHO, and I'm not even sure he can play the slot. He may need to transfer if he wants to continue playing collegiate ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator