Averaging a triple double for a season

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Westbrook is taking down one of sports greatest achievements. I never thought that would ever be replicated.

Some others that I always thought would never be broken:

Joe D's 56 hit game hit streak

Cy Young's 511 career wins

Cal's Consecutive game streak

Byron Nelson's 11 tour wins in a row

Everyone probably has their own special list.

Your thoughts?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Triple Double is beyond overrated. I apologize in advance for poo-pooing what you think is a major accomplishment.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'll take a record that deals with averages over a single game record - shows consistency and durability over a miracle night.

I don't have perspective on how many players get a triple double in a given night to grasp how commonplace, or to use NV's term "overrated", it might be. I don't watch NBA, so it may be commonplace. From my NCAA perspective I'd be very impressed.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Big O did it when it was unheard of, but it's still very meaningful. There are only so many things you can get into double figures on. Fouls ain't one of them.

Can we give Billy D some love for helping make it happen?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Triple Double is beyond overrated. I apologize in advance for poo-pooing what you think is a major accomplishment.

It's not a single triple double..it's averaging a triple double for 82 freaking games.

Overrated? Puh-lease.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's an impressive feat, but it truly shows how much he's needed to carry that team. If Durant was still there, no way he'd have the opportunity to put up those gaudy numbers...nor the need.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's not a single triple double..it's averaging a triple double for 82 freaking games.

Overrated? Puh-lease.
Considering everyone of his teammate attributed to him achieving most of the rebounds, then yeah. It's overrated.

And btw, how many triple doubles did Jordan have? He's the greatest of all time, right? The GOAT?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Considering everyone of his teammate attributed to him achieving most of the rebounds, then yeah. It's overrated.

And btw, how many triple doubles did Jordan have? He's the greatest of all time, right? The GOAT?

What does Jordan have to do with this record? Or Dimaggio's record? Did MJ score 100 in a game?

At least make sense.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What does Jordan have to do with this record? Or Dimaggio's record? Did MJ score 100 in a game?

At least make sense.
My first paragraph made my point. My mentioning of Jordan was a "By the way" or "btw". Like an aside.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
My first paragraph made my point. My mentioning of Jordan was a "By the way" or "btw". Like an aside.
It made no sense. It still doesn't. Individual records are just that....individual. GOAT has absolutely zero to do with Russell or Oscar. Sounds like you poo-poo'ed all over yourself trying to make a point.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody that is trying to diminish or downplay what Westbrook is doing this season is either in denial or foolishly misinformed when it comes to the game of basketball. Yes, the game has changed. You can point to the rise of the 3 point shot or the perceived lack of physicality if you want. Those are valid criticisms of THE GAME. That being said, this should not be an indictment on what Russell Westbrook, THE PLAYER, is doing this year. It would be impressive in ANY era. Averaging double digits in three separate statistical categories in the premier professional basketball league is unheard of. You can say his team sucks, you can say he was stat padding, etc...it doesn't really matter. It takes a tremendous amount of stamina, athleticism, and skill to accomplish a feat like that in today's NBA when players are arguably more athletic than they've ever been. Give the man his props.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Westbrook is taking down one of sports greatest achievements. I never thought that would ever be replicated.

Your thoughts?
None of those will get broken. Bonds' 73 is more than likely safe forever, as well, given MLB actually cares about testing for PEDs now. Averaging a triple double for an entire season is absurd.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As long as we're on the discussion of greatest sports streaks, I want to nominate UCLA's seven consecutive NCAA titles. Those along with Cy Young's 511 wins I consider untouchable.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'll take a record that deals with averages over a single game record - shows consistency and durability over a miracle night.

I don't have perspective on how many players get a triple double in a given night to grasp how commonplace, or to use NV's term "overrated", it might be. I don't watch NBA, so it may be commonplace. From my NCAA perspective I'd be very impressed.

TLB, your ignorance of the NBA is excusable, since a triple double is in baseball.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
As long as we're on the discussion of greatest sports streaks, I want to nominate UCLA's seven consecutive NCAA titles. Those along with Cy Young's 511 wins I consider untouchable.

UCLA's is definitely safe. But then again, I thought Oscar's wouldn't be touched. But yeah...seven YEARS in a row. Team records have so many variables too.

Just food for thought.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
UCLA's is definitely safe. But then again, I thought Oscar's wouldn't be touched. But yeah...seven YEARS in a row. Team records have so many variables too.

Just food for thought.

The thought of a college basketball team winning 48 games in a row in March Madness -- which is what it would take to top UCLA's streak -- is to me unfathomable.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
To average a triple double in the NBA with the high level of skill is pretty unreal. But 25 years ago you had centers in basketball that would not allow a player his size get that many. The game was different. So to me Oscar's was more impressive BUT that said it is still iconic like those you mentioned earlier. Wooden's string of winning 10 NCAA titles in 12 years is unreal. Then again Kareem and Walton were unreal college players. But then won with Wickes and Rowe. The man could coach. And UK fans despise him.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
To average a triple double in the NBA with the high level of skill is pretty unreal. But 25 years ago you had centers in basketball that would not allow a player his size get that many. The game was different. So to me Oscar's was more impressive BUT that said it is still iconic like those you mentioned earlier. Wooden's string of winning 10 NCAA titles in 12 years is unreal. Then again Kareem and Walton were unreal college players. But then won with Wickes and Rowe. The man could coach. And UK fans despise him.

Yes he could coach players of that era and he got many of the best to meet his system. Today many players would not put up with the massive regime that he required. Unless my memory is failing I think he required them to tie their shoes in a certain way. If I am wrong surely some poster will correct this.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Your thoughts?

I think Westbrook's stats this year are quite good. I am sure he would trade some of them for a better seed and a better chance to advance.

The problem with your list is that no one else has done any of them, while of course Oscar Robertson famously did the same thing as Westbrook did this year in the 1960s. Maybe you should have related the season average triple double to say the baseball triple crown or being a 30-30 or 40-40 guy in baseball or in football gaining 1,000 yards rushing and catching in the same season. All of these things have been done, but they are rare season accomplishments like averaging a triple double.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.