Averaging a triple double for a season

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Westbrook is taking down one of sports greatest achievements. I never thought that would ever be replicated.

Some others that I always thought would never be broken:

Joe D's 56 hit game hit streak

Cy Young's 511 career wins

Cal's Consecutive game streak

Byron Nelson's 11 tour wins in a row

Everyone probably has their own special list.

Your thoughts?
Best player this season and most clutch. MVP landslide. His unreal clutch shots this season are unmatched in my NBA following which is decades. The one today to knock Denver out of the playoffs was stupendous. And he broke the triple double recorded playing 10 fewer minutes a game and getting 20 fewer possessions a game than Oscar Robertson got in 61 / 62. Wanna prorate Russell Westbrook's triple doub;e numbers playing the same minutes the Big O did in 61/62? I didn't think so. 32 - 9 in his triple double games. Game over. He plays the hardest in the league too. But I am sure he would rather have KD this year they would have won the title.

If this was so easy to do LeBron or Air Jordan would have done it.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
All of these things have been done, but they are rare season accomplishments like averaging a triple double.

Say what? This only the 2nd instance. It was considered one of the unbreakable records in sports. It was just done. Triple crown? That's been done a few times. I'm not sure some of us understand what just happened this year. It's possible because the NBA's product is poor. Not sure.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Say what? This only the 2nd instance. It was considered one of the unbreakable records in sports. It was just done. Triple crown? That's been done a few times. I'm not sure some of us understand what just happened this year. It's possible because the NBA's product is poor. Not sure.
Averaging a triple double is second only to Wilt's 100 point game in nba lore. I never thought it could be done in the open era of nba basketball.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Yes, please. Why didn't Jordan do it more or LeBron? I mean, they're the greatest of all time.
I never thought it could be done in the open era of nba basketball. If the 2 greatest Jordan and James could never sniff averaging a triple double how could a little guy like Russ? His motor is amazing.

Read twitter from players and stars. The record Westbrook set today meant alot to alot of people. The to do it in that style. Clutch.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

If this was so easy to do LeBron or Air Jordan would have done it.

Lebron and MJ have spent their careers too busy winning championships to spend all year padding their stats. This is retarded. The thunder are heading nowhere.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NV NEVER likes anything and ALWAYS tries to dismiss anything and everything. If the Gators went 14-0 he either wouldn't show up or would complain the whole time. Gators went from UNRANKED to ELITE 8 and he offered ZERO congrats or anything. He dismissed the whole thing as usual. NOTHING is EVER good enough for him. Sergio won the Masters. NV would say well he won it in the playoff so he didn't really win it. It was a tie. Gators Cheese buzzer beater winner in OT. NV would say oh well it was in OT so that doesn't really count. Gators 3 TD underdogs to OSU in 2007 NC game and ALL experts saying a OSU massacre. Gators DESTROY them 41-14. NV probably said, oh well the experts said UF would get creamed so it wasn't worth watching so I figured OSU won. Anything said anywhere he puts a negative spin on things as ALWAYS...

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NV NEVER likes anything and ALWAYS tries to dismiss anything and everything. If the Gators went 14-0 he either wouldn't show up or would complain the whole time. Gators went from UNRANKED to ELITE 8 and he offered ZERO congrats or anything. He dismissed the whole thing as usual. NOTHING is EVER good enough for him. Sergio won the Masters. NV would say well he won it in the playoff so he didn't really win it. It was a tie. Gators Cheese buzzer beater winner in OT. NV would say oh well it was in OT so that doesn't really count. Gators 3 TD underdogs to OSU in 2007 NC game and ALL experts saying a OSU massacre. Gators DESTROY them 41-14. NV probably said, oh well the experts said UF would get creamed so it wasn't worth watching so I figured OSU won. Anything said anywhere he puts a negative spin on things as ALWAYS...
Complaining about someone you feel complains.
Feel better, Sport?

Post #2 but keep up the #Fakenews
http://gatorchatter.com/threads/thanks-for-a-great-season-gator-basketball.14333/

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Again everything on your list has been done ONCE. Things like I listed have been done a few times. There have been two 1,000 yard rushers and pass catches in NFL history. There have been 17 triple crown winners in baseball in its much longer history than the NFL or NBA. They are seasons long accomplishments like averaging a triple double in the NBA. Seems a much much better comparison to me than a list like yours that contains 3 streaks and a career number?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Yes he could coach players of that era and he got many of the best to meet his system. Today many players would not put up with the massive regime that he required. Unless my memory is failing I think he required them to tie their shoes in a certain way. If I am wrong surely some poster will correct this.
He taught them how to wear their socks and tie their shoes. And they didnt go to the pros early back then so with Kareem and Walton that meant five titles. If they could have played as freshman even more. Different eras for sure but he was an amazing guy. Hall of fame as a player and a coach.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Again everything on your list has been done ONCE. Things like I listed have been done a few times. There have been two 1,000 yard rushers and pass catches in NFL history. There have been 17 triple crown winners in baseball in its much longer history than the NFL or NBA. They are seasons long accomplishments like averaging a triple double in the NBA. Seems a much much better comparison to me than a list like yours that contains 3 streaks and a career number?

Nevermind. If you look up articles about the greatest sport records they are all over the map and not confined into separate categories. I get what you are saying. It's just off season chatter for fun or so i thought.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Averaging a triple double is second only to Wilt's 100 point game in nba lore. I never thought it could be done in the open era of nba basketball.

I seem to remember Wilt scored almost all of those points. In many cases you really could not stop him and it is said he could take a quarter from the top of the backboard. He was also a good vball player and I remember him rehabbing for the playoffs when nobody thought he could be ready.

Of course there is the darker side in that there is rumor that he well enjoyed too many females.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Nevermind. If you look up articles about the greatest sport records they are all over the map and not confined into separate categories. I get what you are saying. It's just off season chatter for fun or so i thought.

I am enjoying the discussion, so there is that. I would also say to you that if a bunch of sports mediots mix up streaks and career records etc, that might be a signal for smart people to be consistent with where they place Westbrook's seasons averages and what they related it to.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I seem to remember Wilt scored almost all of those points. In many cases you really could not stop him and it is said he could take a quarter from the top of the backboard. He was also a good vball player and I remember him rehabbing for the playoffs when nobody thought he could be ready.

Of course there is the darker side in that there is rumor that he well enjoyed too many females.
Define enjoying too many females.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator