Backup QB is Treon Harris

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
T REX;n35068 said:
Interesting...either Harris is better or our coach is trying to sneak Grier an extra year. JD hasn't finished a season yet. Stupid crap as usual.

So what should he have said? That Grier is the starter?
So what is wrong with Treon being the backup? Do you know for a fact who the better QB is between Treon and Grier?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n35081 said:
It is true that redshirts aren't handed out until the end of the year, doesn't mean that the staff might not have their mind already made on which players are being planned to redshirt or not.
Muschump just stated otherwise.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
T REX;n35068 said:
Interesting...either Harris is better or our coach is trying to sneak Grier an extra year. JD hasn't finished a season yet. Stupid crap as usual.

Wobs: And that's fine with me. I want the 2nd best QB as back up. Harris played in the highest division here in FL, I think. I heard he was pretty good. All I am saying is that if he is trying to sneak a redshirt by putting Grier as 3rd string...that sucks.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
T REX;n35068 said:

Redshirts aren't handed out until the end of the year, so it doesn't matter what happens right now. He could say Grier is redshirting and put it on a billboard, but he won't if Driskel gets hurt. Come on, people, learn how the system works.
Captain, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a limit to how much a player can be involved in game play (if at all) and still get a redshirt? I thought I read before that there is some allotment for a player to have played in a game, but that it was limited if they wanted to give that player a redshirt....do you recall what that limit is?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68 said:
It is true that redshirts aren't handed out until the end of the year, doesn't mean that the staff might not have their mind already made on which players are being planned to redshirt or not.
Muschump just stated otherwise.
He stated that redshirts aren't handed out at end of the season. Or that coaches can't make that decision and base their decisions on that decision. How would Muschamp change the system in place in his press conference?

Please be specific on how the system has changed per the press conference

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
T REX;n35068 said:

Redshirts aren't handed out until the end of the year, so it doesn't matter what happens right now. He could say Grier is redshirting and put it on a billboard, but he won't if Driskel gets hurt. Come on, people, learn how the system works.
So hopefully they are getting even snaps in practice. JD has been hurt all 3 years he's played. There's a high p[robability that the back up will need to be game ready. Grier has been here since January(?)? And he's third string? Sorry, something smells funny.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

They very well could, and I'm sure they have some type of plan in place regardless of what they say. The point is, they won't just leave Grier on the shelf if they need him. They aren't bound to any plan they have right now, so they can burn his redshirt if they need to.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
T REX;n35068 said:

Driskel is glass because a 280 pound man fell on his ankle and broke it?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n35092 said:
They very well could, and I'm sure they have some type of plan in place regardless of what they say. The point is, they won't just leave Grier on the shelf if they need him. They aren't bound to any plan they have right now, so they can burn his redshirt if they need to.

Fully agree. Especially in the case of what this year is. I wasn't stating Muschamp has made a plan. Just the decisions could or could not have been made regardless of when the actual redshirt is awarded.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
T REX;n35068 said:

If you play a single play at any point in the season, you cannot be awarded a regular redshirt. If you have a season-ending injury before a certain point in the season (I believe it's before you've played 25% of your schedule, but I could be wrong), you can earn a medical redshirt. And that's what Driskel got last year.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
T REX;n35068 said:

Has he finished a season yet? He's 3/3 in getting injured. He's batting 100% on injuries. Yeah, glass. The back up will play and probably start a game. What's wrong with prudent planning?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I also don't see what the big deal is if they want to give Grier an extra year to develop. If he's their quarterback of the future and Harris is a capable backup this year, why not?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:

That's not the point though. If Grier is actually the 2nd best QB why wouldn't he be named the back up? Seems like they are hedging their bets or Harris really is the 2nd best QB. A lot of people will go nuts at that.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n35100 said:
I also don't see what the big deal is if they want to give Grier an extra year to develop.
It's a HUGE deal. :eek:hnoes2:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:

Well he clearly said there's no separation between the two. So I think it's pretty obvious they're going to try to redshirt Grier, which if you ask me, it's a smart plan.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n35094 said:
Fully agree. Especially in the case of what this year is. I wasn't stating Muschamp has made a plan. Just the decisions could or could not have been made regardless of when the actual redshirt is awarded.
"The backup quarterback will be Treon Harris going into this game," Muschamp said. "There was really no separation from a backup standpoint. That's nothing that's been made for the long term, no one has been redshirted. All of those guys have done some good things and we're going to move forward week to week there." "The backup quarterback will be Treon Harris going into this game," Muschamp said. "There was really no separation from a backup standpoint. That's nothing that's been made for the

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:

If there is no seperation between the two and you need a backup and would like to redshirt one. Why not redshirt the guy who said he wanted to be redshirted. It's smart to let a kid get a year of university life under his belt, before the firestorm of possibly being the starting quarterback of the Gators and being a student. People are reading too much into who is the backup for a game against Idaho.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n35106 said:
"The backup quarterback will be Treon Harris going into this game," Muschamp said. "There was really no separation from a backup standpoint. That's nothing that's been made for the long term, no one has been redshirted. All of those guys have done some good things and we're going to move forward week to week there." "The backup quarterback will be Treon Harris going into this game," Muschamp said. "There was really no separation from a backup standpoint. That's nothing that's been made for the

Which has what exactly to do with my statement? I don't see where the time at which a redshirt has changed. Or that
the staff might not have their mind already made on which players are being planned to redshirt or not.

How has the process in the context of the conversation quote did he say I was incorrect. Please tell me where he said the system has changed, or where he said coaches can't decide on which players they would like to redshirt in a season before the season starts.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:

Seems odd that the big time recruit with an extra 6 months on campus and a spring game couldn't beat out the 4 star frosh that just showed up. Weird.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:

Maybe the difference negligible and you feel Grier has more upside. It might be better to allow him that year, to realize more of that upside and have an extra year of eligibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb