Backup QB is Treon Harris

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
WobbleGator said:
T REX;n35068 said:
Interesting...either Harris is better or our coach is trying to sneak Grier an extra year. JD hasn't finished a season yet. Stupid crap as usual.

So what should he have said? That Grier is the starter?
How much time did he miss in 2012 due to injury?

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
T REX;n35068 said:
Interesting...either Harris is better or our coach is trying to sneak Grier an extra year. JD hasn't finished a season yet. Stupid crap as usual.

Redshirts aren't handed out until the end of the year, so it doesn't matter what happens right now. He could say Grier is redshirting and put it on a billboard, but he won't if Driskel gets hurt. Come on, people, learn how the system works.
Hey T REX, what do you think about Driskel? I don't think we've heard enough from you in this thread yet?
:rolleyes:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
T REX;n35068 said:

Redshirts aren't handed out until the end of the year, so it doesn't matter what happens right now. He could say Grier is redshirting and put it on a billboard, but he won't if Driskel gets hurt. Come on, people, learn how the system works.
Ok, that must have been what I was thinking about...the medical redshirt time frame. Thanks Captain.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
TheDouglas78;n35081 said:
It is true that redshirts aren't handed out until the end of the year, doesn't mean that the staff might not have their mind already made on which players are being planned to redshirt or not.

They very well could, and I'm sure they have some type of plan in place regardless of what they say. The point is, they won't just leave Grier on the shelf if they need him. They aren't bound to any plan they have right now, so they can burn his redshirt if they need to.
While I'm tempted to believe what Sas and Dougie are selling, I think I'll stick with assuming a conspiracy by our coaches.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
T REX;n35068 said:

He missed one game against Jacksonville St. in 2012 and then came back when he wasn't 100% and shoved it up FSU's asses on their home field.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No surprise here based off of what I've read from those who covered practice. Harris has done well, and the Muschamp has always felt more comfortable playing the QB that is a better runner.

I also want to add that it is too early to discuss Will Grier redshirting. Sure, it may happen and the coaches probably would like for that to happen; but if Driskel goes down or if Harris has a bad game/bad week of practice, Grier will still have a shot to be on the field.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
GatorJB said:
No surprise here based off of what I've read from those who covered practice. Harris has done well, and the Muschamp has always felt more comfortable playing the QB that is a better runner.

I also want to add that it is too early to discuss Will Grier redshirting. Sure, it may happen and the coaches probably would like for that to happen; but if Driskel goes down or if Harris has a bad game/bad week of practice, Grier will still have a shot to be on the field.
I think Harris will do well in these first two games. He played better competition in high school.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB said:

I agree with you completely. I was referring to later on in the year at the possibility that Harris could have a bad game/week. Hopefully Driskel stays healthy and Harris plays great so Grier can redshirt.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I believe you can redshirt up to the 5th game if it is medical. I say play all 3 up to that point then stage a scooter accident for whoever is trailing at that point, it's not like anyone would question it with our history of scooter accidents over the years:lol:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
It is true that redshirts aren't handed out until the end of the year, doesn't mean that the staff might not have their mind already made on which players are being planned to redshirt or not.

They very well could, and I'm sure they have some type of plan in place regardless of what they say. The point is, they won't just leave Grier on the shelf if they need him. They aren't bound to any plan they have right now, so they can burn his redshirt if they need to.
Euro, it's not a conspiracy. Grier said he wanted to redshirt. From all accounts Grier looked sharp in practice. I didn't realize Muschamp was in a position to pander to recruits regarding eligibility. You'd think the guy on the hottest seat in football would put the best players in the right positions. My bad...Muschamp has such a tremendous resume on the offensive side of the ball. He really knows what he's doing and it has shown the last 3 years. We should totally trust Muschamp's offensive decision making skills.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
GatorJB said:

:thumbup:

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:

How do you know who the best player is in this position?

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:

...for that matter how do you know Muschamp made the decision? Roper is the one who went after Harris.

That's my point T REX. You're assuming Grier was better (despite Muschamp's words otherwise), you're assuming that Muschamp made the decision, then you're inventing motivations to boot (Muschamp kowtowing to Grier's wishes). Like others have suggested, if it's best for the program, should the coaches NOT do it just to prove to Grier that he's not in control?

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Per Zach's twitter feed "Coach WM stated that Treon Harris got the nod for #2 Qb because of what he can do in short yardage and red zone situations". Sounds like sound reasoning for the move.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Grier will probably rotate with Harris if Driskel misses time.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
T REX;n35068 said:

I don't think he is trying to sneak a redshirt. I think the reality is that they want to use Treon in other ways and there was no other separation. If Grier had outplayed Treon and was clearly better, he would probably be the backup... since that didn't happen, they went with Treon who they can use in the wildcat and other formations and give Grier the possibliity of red-shirt. It's really not stupid if you think about it, but some people don't think... they just slam everything right now because we had a bad year last year.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n35197 said:
Per Zach's twitter feed "Coach WM stated that Treon Harris got the nod for #2 Qb because of what he can do in short yardage and red zone situations". Sounds like sound reasoning for the move.

Nope.. TRex stated that Grier was better and Muschamp is stupid to do this. There can be no sound reasoning....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator