Gator Baseball Baseball: UF vs. Kentucky

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Top ranked Gator baseball travels to Lexington to face 9th ranked UK in a Thursday, Friday, Saturday series. Thurs. 7pm on SEC Network, Fri. at 7:30pm on SEC Network and Sat. at 1pm streaming.Gators enter the second half of the conference schedule at 12-3 and a 3 game lead in the East. Gators are coming off a home sweep against Mizzou last weekend and dropped a midweek game against Jax. UK stands 7-8 in conference play but seems to have righted the ship a bit after a slow start and took 2 of 3 at UGA last weekend. UK is paced by a strong Game 1 starter and a deep hitting lineup. Should be a very good series and the weather could be a little chilly in the Bluegrass. Go Gators!!!!!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Should be a good game. I can't shake this feeling that we fall behind early, make a pitching change late and storm back to win on a routine ground ball that gets by because UK forgets to put a first baseman out there.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Kentucky has a lot of talent, but has underachieved so far this year. Gators have been playing excellent ball all year and is due for a come-down-to-earth slump where things don't go their way for a few games. Hope it doesn't happen this weekend, but happened against Jax Tuesday.

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
Should be a good game. I can't shake this feeling that we fall behind early, make a pitching change late and storm back to win on a routine ground ball that gets by because UK forgets to put a first baseman out there.
I’d like this twice if possible.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Kentucky has a lot of talent, but has underachieved so far this year. Gators have been playing excellent ball all year and is due for a come-down-to-earth slump where things don't go their way for a few games. Hope it doesn't happen this weekend, but happened against Jax Tuesday.

We lost to JU because Sully put what are probably his 10th and 11th best pitchers in the game. Throwing a couple of guys with 85 mph fastballs tends to get you in trouble. I get the early start to this weekend was a factor, but he could've thrown McMullen or Mace for 3 innings and still had the other as well as Butler and Baker available for Thursday. With that said, we may have lost to them anyway, and I agree that we're due for bad weekend. Until last year, KY had beat us in something like 5 straight series....

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
Sully knows the weekends pay the way. Personally, I like giving the hatters, knights, bulls or any other state team (and, yes, even the noles) a chance to beat a No. 1 team. Tonight will be a tough game against a good offensive uk team who have put up 20 runs and won some very close games, but the cats have also lost by double digits. Our defense is talented enough to hold them and so the Gators offense simply need to do their job!

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Wow. UK pitcher sat down 6 of 6 Gators and gets pulled after 2 innings.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
A strange game already. UK decided to push their normal Game 1 starter back to Game 2, I presume to give him the normal full 6 days rest. Well the guy they trotted out there high a high ERA but looked like Tom Seaver for 2 innings and for some reason they pulled him after 2 innings. In essence UK has conceded Game 1 so we must capitalize tonite!

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Listening to that UK coach, without saying it, UK has mad respect for the Gator pitchers.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good guys win 11-2. I won;t repeat my earlier post but the game was over when in the top of the 3rd, KY puts in their first of what would be a laundry list of awful relievers and the Gators struck for 6 led by a 2 run double by Liput and a 3 run homer by Dalton. Singer pitched 7 strong innings, with 1 poor inning which was hitting a batter on an 0-2 count and giving up an rbi single also on an 0-2 count. Again, I have seen coaches basically concede games in the tourney out of necessity to save arms, but I have never really seen a team basically concede Game 1 of a weekend SEC series. But credit UF, they took advantage. Only downside was Indy lost his 24 game hit streak but the W is the important thing.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Odd game that turned into an easy win. Tomorrow night's game will be a real challenge. Their ace vs. Kowar. Kind of glad India's hitting streak ended. Pressure's off now. Brady Smith is coming on strong and I see him taking over Bell's spot at 1st permanently soon. They have been platooning some and that may continue. Bell is a solid defensive player, but his bat has become a liability.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
That Smith tater was a bomb! I love it when the outfielder gives that little half-assed turn and jog for a couple of steps like there was ever a chance that ball was staying in the park.

Looking forward to seeing Kowar -vs Hjelle tonight. If Kowar is on it should be a good one. No idea what that UK coach was thinking when he pulled Haake; saving him for a later game? Great idea coach! Now what about the game your playing right now?

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Do SECn network commentators ever talk about the game or do they discuss only what they had for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I cannot believe you said that. I had to finish a chore last night and wasn't able to watch so I figured I would just turn up the sound and listen. Listening to those guys I had no clue what was going on in the game. Only way I knew the inning was over was the commercial.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Friday night, tonight, we need to blast this highly regarded UK team again.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Do SECn network commentators ever talk about the game or do they discuss only what they had for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

My exact same thoughts during last nights game..I wasn't watching, only listening, and had no idea what was happening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator