Basketball Coach Cover Letters

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The season is upon us. Head coach vacancies for college basketball are popping up around the country. So I have written a few cover letters in order to apply. Now, these are works in progress I might add. But, if you could apply for a head coaching job what would it be and how would you sell yourself?

Missouri (didn't get it in before they hired Cuonzo)
I may not have the prerequisite head coaching experience for a college coaching job, but when is experience that important. While I have the utmost respect for Coach Anderson, I can promise 7 wins a season as well. Heck, I can probably get you in the CBI or CIT. Unfortunately the Vegas 16 is no longer a tournament. But if mediocrity is what you want, mediocrity is what I can deliver.

Over the past 4 years my recreation 3 on 3 basketball team has piled up 11 wins. That might not seem great, but consider this. year 1 - 0 wins. year 2 - 1 win. year 3 - 7 wins. year 4 - 3 wins. Year 4 was a hiccup obviously. However, in year 1 the champs of the league beat us 70-16. In year 4 the same championship team only beat us by 15. That's improvement. Also, in year 4 the champs of year 3 only beat us by 5. It was a 1 point ball game with 20 seconds left. They set a screen, I called it, but my teammate went under the screen inside of over and their best 3 point shooter drained a 3.

UC Berkeley
Let's get real. Cal is known for many things, liberal hippies, snooty graduates, fine academics, but not great athletics. We need to return the mens bball team to Jason Kidd era prominence, nevermind they lost to Dick Bennett and UWGB in the tournament. We need to recruit players like Lamond Murray, Tony Gonzalez, Kevin Johnson, Shariff Abdur Rahim, etc. But we need to have some wiggle room with admissions. Heck we need to get these guys back on campus and slipping some bills to recruits. Where's Aaron Rodgers? He's filthy rich.

U of Washington

Remember when Washington basketball was on top. Me neither. Well i guess Lorenzo had them humming in the mid 2000s, but they didnt get far in the tourney. Thats not to say great players have come and gone. Brandon Roy, Nate Robinson, Isaiah Thomas, and my favorite Detlef Schrempf. You should see me rip up NBA Live 1996 with the Sonics and Detlef. He was unstoppable. Now how do we make Husky bball great again? First, get a Starbucks in the locker room. Get those boys on caffeine because they'll need it to run my 6 seconds or less offense. You think Mike D Antoni Suns teams were fast! HA! Now this may seem counter intuitive but my D will be like the Bennett packline system. So fast O and crushing D. Heck years ago people didn't think you could throw a football forward. This will be the greatest bball system ever that no one has seen the like of. Second, where's the tech cash? Amazon, Microsoft? We need that money funneling down. Give recruits some Amazon gift cards and free starbucks. Dont worry Saban doesn't get caught and neither will I.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The season is upon us. Head coach vacancies for college basketball are popping up around the country. So I have written a few cover letters in order to apply. Now, these are works in progress I might add. But, if you could apply for a head coaching job what would it be and how would you sell yourself?

Missouri (didn't get it in before they hired Cuonzo)
I may not have the prerequisite head coaching experience for a college coaching job, but when is experience that important. While I have the utmost respect for Coach Anderson, I can promise 7 wins a season as well. Heck, I can probably get you in the CBI or CIT. Unfortunately the Vegas 16 is no longer a tournament. But if mediocrity is what you want, mediocrity is what I can deliver.

Over the past 4 years my recreation 3 on 3 basketball team has piled up 11 wins. That might not seem great, but consider this. year 1 - 0 wins. year 2 - 1 win. year 3 - 7 wins. year 4 - 3 wins. Year 4 was a hiccup obviously. However, in year 1 the champs of the league beat us 70-16. In year 4 the same championship team only beat us by 15. That's improvement. Also, in year 4 the champs of year 3 only beat us by 5. It was a 1 point ball game with 20 seconds left. They set a screen, I called it, but my teammate went under the screen inside of over and their best 3 point shooter drained a 3.

UC Berkeley
Let's get real. Cal is known for many things, liberal hippies, snooty graduates, fine academics, but not great athletics. We need to return the mens bball team to Jason Kidd era prominence, nevermind they lost to Dick Bennett and UWGB in the tournament. We need to recruit players like Lamond Murray, Tony Gonzalez, Kevin Johnson, Shariff Abdur Rahim, etc. But we need to have some wiggle room with admissions. Heck we need to get these guys back on campus and slipping some bills to recruits. Where's Aaron Rodgers? He's filthy rich.

U of Washington

Remember when Washington basketball was on top. Me neither. Well i guess Lorenzo had them humming in the mid 2000s, but they didnt get far in the tourney. Thats not to say great players have come and gone. Brandon Roy, Nate Robinson, Isaiah Thomas, and my favorite Detlef Schrempf. You should see me rip up NBA Live 1996 with the Sonics and Detlef. He was unstoppable. Now how do we make Husky bball great again? First, get a Starbucks in the locker room. Get those boys on caffeine because they'll need it to run my 6 seconds or less offense. You think Mike D Antoni Suns teams were fast! HA! Now this may seem counter intuitive but my D will be like the Bennett packline system. So fast O and crushing D. Heck years ago people didn't think you could throw a football forward. This will be the greatest bball system ever that no one has seen the like of. Second, where's the tech cash? Amazon, Microsoft? We need that money funneling down. Give recruits some Amazon gift cards and free starbucks. Dont worry Saban doesn't get caught and neither will I.
Romar has definitely lost something along the way. Always liked him, but it might be time for a new men's BB coach at UW.
Their women's BB program is doing well, hanging around the top 10.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Where is your cover letter for UF Women's Basketball? I hear there is an opening. But my guess is the level of interest in that job will be akin to the level of interest that the fans have for the program.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
And now Indiana is open. If there fan base was like ours, they would clamor for Bob Knight. But that is not how most of their fans operate. Perhaps they look at Greg Marshall at Wichita or Mick Cronin at Cincy, two guys who have consistently won at good but not great programs.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
And now Indiana is open. If there fan base was like ours, they would clamor for Bob Knight. But that is not how most of their fans operate. Perhaps they look at Greg Marshall at Wichita or Mick Cronin at Cincy, two guys who have consistently won at good but not great programs.

hell yes. I'm on this one ASAP

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Ok....Indiana Cover Letter

I have one question I need to ask up front. Anyone around who fired Bob Knight, or are they dead? I have the utmost respect for coach Knight. So he knocked around his players, threw chairs on the floor, etc. Do you want someone who’s a wuss or a tough SOB like Knight?

Now my second train of thought. 2002. What is significant about that year? That is the last time Indiana has been to the national championship game. With all the tradition of basketball at Indiana you’d think a coach could do better. Well, you kind of screwed yourself by hiring that shady Kelvin Sampson. Then you hired Crean, who should have done better but the sanctions hurt.

So how do we make Indiana great again? Well in high school I would play my friends in NBA games on playstation all the time. I would have a line up of players no shorter than 6’10. For example Tony Kukoc was my point guard. My friends choose the likes of Iverson and Kobe and thought they would wipe the floor with me. Not the case. They couldn’t rebound and I would block a lot of their layups. So that is what I propose. Let me have coach Knight as an assistant and recruit guys no shorter than 6’10. Indiana will be back in no time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.