Basketball Recruiting

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Thanks for the post. Not getting Gak in for last weekend due to the storm did not help. It would be nice to get him. Lawrence is a new name to me. Do you know anything about him?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Looks like White is doing a good job getting visits from solid recruits. Hopefully having Gak's big brother at UF will help. I have no idea if they want to play together, but we could have a double Gak front line next year.

Lawrence has offers from decent schools, one of which is Texas. If White can out recruit Smart that would be great.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Looks like White is doing a good job getting visits from solid recruits. Hopefully having Gak's big brother at UF will help. I have no idea if they want to play together, but we could have a double Gak front line next year.

Lawrence has offers from decent schools, one of which is Texas. If White can out recruit Smart that would be great.

Didn't the older Gak get denied admission?

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Didn't the older Gak get denied admission?

He was ruled ineligible this year, but still on campus. He has a year to gain some weight and work on skills, which isn't a bad thing I guess.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He was ruled ineligible this year, but still on campus. He has a year to gain some weight and work on skills, which isn't a bad thing I guess.

Oh, that's good. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I hope his brother decides to join him.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the post. Not getting Gak in for last weekend due to the storm did not help. It would be nice to get him. Lawrence is a new name to me. Do you know anything about him?

I really don't know much about Lawrence other than he is 6'5 and 180. So he will have to put on some muscle, but that is OK. Having a SF or SG (not sure how good of a shooter he is) at 6'5 would be nice.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I've seen Lawrence anywhere from 6'5 and 180 to 6'7 and 200. Don't you just love scouting sites?

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've seen Lawrence anywhere from 6'5 and 180 to 6'7 and 200. Don't you just love scouting sites?
No doubt.
247 has him at 6'7" and 200 (4* and #55 natl)
ESPN has him 6'5" and 180 (4* #54 natl)
Future150 is 6'6" and 180 (3* and #94 natl)
Let's hope 247s is more accurate as I think White's bringing in a lot of 6'5" athletes that can shoot, but we need to fill the bigger swingman role in the vein of Robinson. He's still got another year to grow another inch or two. The highlights below show he's very good athlete and can move with the ball pretty well (I liked the part at 55 sec where he moves left and lays it in with his left hand - granted vs. a bunch of 5'10" white guys :lol:). His shot is a little slow and funky, but they all went in! ;)

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
His shot is a bit slow, but ain't no one had a funky shot like Boynton. Anyway, I hope he could be more of a slasher type than an outside shooter. Also, the highlights show he has some nice court awareness and was eager to pass and get his teammates the ball.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That Lawrence kid has a pretty impressive highlight tape. Looks like a really good athlete.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gak is pretty heavily crystal balled to Kansas.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I really don't know much about Lawrence other than he is 6'5 and 180. So he will have to put on some muscle, but that is OK. Having a SF or SG (not sure how good of a shooter he is) at 6'5 would be nice.
Good news! We've already recruited that position quite nicely.
Jalen Hudson (transfer from VaTech) is a 6'6" SG - on the roster, but has to sit out this year
2017 De'Andre Ballard - 6'5" SG
Other current 2017 commits are:
Shai Alexander - 6'4" PG (good to see White going away from the smallish guards that Billy seemed to like a lot)
Chase Johnson - 6'8" PF

We could lose 6 players after this season, 5 scholarships:
Gone for sure:
Hill
Barry
Leon
Rimmer (thank goodness - but we're probably gonna need him this year with Gak having to sit out - at least Rimmer's not burning a scholarship)
Probably gone:
DRob
Bu

So we have room for two more at least (a transfer or some other issue is bound to pop up for someone on the roster). I think a larger swingman like Lawrence and another big, like D. Gak, is what we need. Though if Collin Sexton (PG) wanted to be a Gator, I'd take him in a heartbeat (he's currently got Kansas and Bama as his top 2 - apparently he really likes Avery Johnson).

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I am very excited about Alexander. A 6'4 TRUE PG is what we need!

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Good news! We've already recruited that position quite nicely.
Jalen Hudson (transfer from VaTech) is a 6'6" SG - on the roster, but has to sit out this year
2017 De'Andre Ballard - 6'5" SG
Other current 2017 commits are:
Shai Alexander - 6'4" PG (good to see White going away from the smallish guards that Billy seemed to like a lot)
Chase Johnson - 6'8" PF

We could lose 6 players after this season, 5 scholarships:
Gone for sure:
Hill
Barry
Leon
Rimmer (thank goodness - but we're probably gonna need him this year with Gak having to sit out - at least Rimmer's not burning a scholarship)
Probably gone:
DRob
Bu

So we have room for two more at least (a transfer or some other issue is bound to pop up for someone on the roster). I think a larger swingman like Lawrence and another big, like D. Gak, is what we need. Though if Collin Sexton (PG) wanted to be a Gator, I'd take him in a heartbeat (he's currently got Kansas and Bama as his top 2 - apparently he really likes Avery Johnson).

I'd love to get Collin Sexton. Him and Alexander would be an amazing combination to have at guard.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads