Be Prepared

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, and Computer Tech' started by AlexDaGator, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Stop steaming up my tail!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,067
    Ratings:
    +24,001 / -488
    Ask us how we know.

:(

2. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +6,614 / -9
    There were lots of nights when I wore my headlamp around my neck when I slept and I know I get red light if I push left and white if right. ;)

3. ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
    $92
    Ratings:
    +1,318 / -133
    How about a life straw, I seem to remember such being used in third world countries. I would link Amazon, but that is probably not a good idea.

Having a home that is not in a flood zone, being made of concrete, and having good shutters is a must according to me. I wonder about those folks who buy plywood for every decent storm instead of getting real shutters or making the plywood easy to install and store for later. Same with generators, if you want one get a really good one and maintain (use) it so you don't have to buy one. I found that FEMA in some cases pays for a lot of stuff you would never thing they should. If you use insulin you need refrigeration, and thus perhaps a generator.

https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2...help-pay-certain-disaster-related-necessities

I understand that FPL wants rate increase for the 1.5B to repair the grid. Some people insisted that fema pays for such, they don't unless it is a public utility like say PR.

4. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Stop steaming up my tail!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,067
    Ratings:
    +24,001 / -488
    Lawn bags or contractor bags. A roll of a great brand (not the cheapy) in every car and in the house in the hurricane kit. There are a few websites out there with lists of things you can do with garbage bags in an emergency. Hundreds of uses from ponchos, tents, sleep mats, sleeping bags, carrying and even purifying water (boil it with hot rocks from the fire but don't let them touch the plastic) thousands of uses. Know how to use a small pebble or stick to make a tie down.

Duct tape and electrical tape

Wire- fixes plenty, bare wire can tie up that exhaust you knocked loose. A few small pieces of electrical wires for repairs. (I once drove home from the desert with a small wire stuck in the battery connector and one in the hot connector of a headlight.)

Flexible plastic wire tires (once made it home in the desert by using several wire ties to substitute for a broken accelerator cable)

Cord- I like jute cord, makes a great fire starter, is strong enough usually. Some like paracute cord (inner stands can be used alone)

Stick all your stuff in a metal pot. It's the best container imo.

#24 Swamp Donkey, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  5. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +6,614 / -9
    If you have a ceramic coffee cup/mug with a true ring on the bottom, you can use it to sharpen a knife.