Beer Info Needed...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Need some specific help from some of the aficionados on here. We went to Helen GA this past weekend and enjoyed their version of Oktoberfest. I tried a couple of German Beers and found one that I really enjoyed...Erdinger Weissbrau. Now, I don't know much about the different types, brewing processes, etc., but I looked this one up and see that it is described as a wheat beer (Hefe-Weizen). Great taste and a really nice aroma. I'd like for it to become my non-domestic choice and as such, would like to know of any other beers of this variety you all could suggest. When trying to find where Erdinger can be purchased, the nearest place I could find is Jax. Luckily, I'm going over for the GA game and will purchase a stock, but if there are any similar favorites that can be bought a little closer to home (Tallahassee area), I'd appreciate the info. Thanks in advance!

upload_2016-10-20_9-2-56.png

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For a Hefeweizen.... my favorite has always been Widmer Brothers (Portland, Oregon). You should be able to find it at any major liquor/beer store. Sometimes even Publix has it this time of the year.

http://widmerbrothers.com/beer/#hefeweizen

edit:
Indeed.... on their beer search tool. The Publix east of town on Mahan Drive has it in stock.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If you've got a Total Wine near you, you should be able to find just about any good beer you want. Brad was spot on with Widmer being a really good American Hefeweisen. Other good American Hefe's would be Funky Buddha's Floridian and 312's Urban Wheat.

However, if you want a REALLY good Hefeweisen, buy German. One of my all time favorite beers of any kind is Weihenstephaner's Hefeweisen. There isn't a better beer to drink on a hot day. Erdinger's Hefe is also good. You can also go with the Hefe's from Franziskaner, Paulaner, Hofbrau or Ayinger.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Seconding Sas on the Funky Buddha...... best American Hefeweisen available. Made a couple miles down the road from me.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just remember beer is heavy in vitamin P. Always consume in moderation.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I appreciate the info guys. While I was googling for some similarities, the Buddha came up. Must be pretty good. This is an important udertaking for me, seeing as how I wasted many a youthful evening (and $2) on PBR. I'm looking forward to gaining a small measure of sophistication.

To hyphenate or not....:scratchchin:

And as for you, Coot, I can only say...

images

:)

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wheat beer? :barfaway:
Generally too sweet for my tastes due to less attenuation (wheat is more difficult to ferment than barley, leaving behind excess sugars that would normally attenuate with a 100% barley beer).
But if I had to go wheat, I'd follow Sas's suggestions for the German weissbiers - they're typically cleaner and less sweet than the American wheats.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But if I had to go wheat, I'd follow Sas's suggestions for the German weissbiers - they're typically cleaner and less sweet than the American wheats.
That's my impression so far, though I've only had the one (that I know of). I did buy some Shock Top, enjoyed it, but not quite as good as the weissbrau.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah German wheats typically carry notes of banana or clove and less sweetness. And they're spectacular.
I got just a hint of the sweet in the Erdinger, but not too much. I think I remember seeing maybe coriander as a spice used in the process. The Shock Top, as I mentioned, wasn't bad by any means, but not quite as good as the German. I'm now on the hunt for the Buddha that you guys mentioned.

I'm impressed with the knowledge you guys have in this area. As I've said before, I drank mostly cheap domestic as a younger man and lately enjoy Corona and Amber Bock (not too daring, I know) as much as anything that isn't free ;) (old habits die hard)! But I think I'm onto something with the Hefeweizen.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My two cents on German beer. I traveled all over a lot of Germany in the early 80s and all towns had their own beers. A city the size of Gville might have 3 breweries...........I drank mostly pilsner beers but had a dark one from Andecks.........the place was amazing.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My two cents on German beer. I traveled all over a lot of Germany in the early 80s and all towns had their own beers. A city the size of Gville might have 3 breweries...........I drank mostly pilsner beers but had a dark one from Andecks.........the place was amazing.
You made me remember a German beer that a family friend brought back from a trip to Germany...Kronen by Dortmunder. I remember not being too crazy about it and maybe subconsciously avoiding foreign brews. Kinda thinking now that I missed out on some good stuff. I wouldn't mind traveling a little over there as you did.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My first German beer was Andecker at Woodys sandwhich shop in Gville. To me it was like michelob but way better. I have never seen it again.
I was about 19 a the time. (back then it was 18 to drink)
YggmEn4.jpg

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Andeker[edit]
Pabst introduced a premium brewed European style lager called Andeker in 1939.[33][34] After dying out in the 1960s it was brought back from 1972 to 1986, brewed from extra-rich malt, specially selected grain, and select hops, then given extra ageing - lagering in German - to develop a full, rich, smooth "continental" taste, according to its promotions.

It has been described as "The most European of the Americans, with full body and well-modulated flavor. Creamy rather than violently carbonated, sharp but not bitter."[35]
Now I know why

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
German beer is incredible almost across the board. Even the worst German beers are still pretty good by American standards, although the microbrew movement here has improved our standing in the beer world.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This whole thread needs twice as many likes. And, of course, ADG was right about the Belgians. My current favorite is Golden Draak.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
My kid used to fly USAF cargo planes back and forth to the Middle East and on the way back, stop in Germany for refueling. He'd have time to hit the BX for the local brews and throw a case in the plane before heading to the USA. These were cork -topped, man sized (25 ounces per or so) bottles.

Holy crap. Days old wheat beer that was non pasteurized and still fermenting. The stuff was still alive!

Nectar of the Aryan gods.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.