Beer Info Needed...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lots of good info from you guys. I'll be looking for the place Alkie mentioned in Tally, Proof I think he said. Tried another domestic wheat at dinner last evening. Had a Blue Moon (complete with the orange slice). Wasn't bad, but tasted more like something I'd like on a warm summer afternoon. Of the two domestics I've tried lately, the Shock Top was better. I know I'm picking the low hanging fruit right now, but I'm still a rookie in the developmental league. If my trip to Jax and the game goes according to plan, I'll stop at the beer joint I looked up and get my Erdinger as well as a couple of the beers suggested in the thread (if available). Keep the good info coming.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alright, I'm a little excited today. In continuing my journey, I found out that there is a place about 6-7 miles from my home up here in the panhandle that sells Cigar City concoctions. Right under my nose...who'd a thunk it? Anyhow, planning to go by after work and see if they have Florida Cracker, as it fits the profile of what I'm looking for and has been somewhat lauded by some of you guys that know. Most of the ads I've seen show Florida Cracker in a can, but I'm wondering/hoping that it comes in a bottle, as that is my preferred vessel (draft in a glass being a solid second).

aka might have said it best...
Beer: it's not just for getting drunk anymore.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alright, I'm a little excited today. In continuing my journey, I found out that there is a place about 6-7 miles from my home up here in the panhandle that sells Cigar City concoctions. Right under my nose...who'd a thunk it? Anyhow, planning to go by after work and see if they have Florida Cracker, as it fits the profile of what I'm looking for and has been somewhat lauded by some of you guys that know. Most of the ads I've seen show Florida Cracker in a can, but I'm wondering/hoping that it comes in a bottle, as that is my preferred vessel (draft in a glass being a solid second).

I believe all of Cigar City stuff comes in cans. Good beer.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cigar City is brewed a block from my office. They definitely do cans, not bottles. They make some good beers though. You should like Florida Cracker.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cigar City is brewed a block from my office. They definitely do cans, not bottles. They make some good beers though. You should like Florida Cracker.
I'll bet lunch during the work week has quite a bit of potential :)

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member

You can consider Funky Buddha Floridian Hefe and Cigar City Florida Cracker Belgium White as "best in their class" beers in our beloved state. Another "best of class" is Diver Down Imperial Red, which is brewed in Lakeland, I believe. I've seen sold in cans and on tap. Fairly complex, but completely drinkable. I like the richness and maltiness of a good red and Diver Down has both.

The field for "best in class" for lagers in Florida is a crowded, and I'm sure others will have nominees. Two of mine are Florida Lager, brewed in my hometown of Melbourne, and Coppertail Lager, brewed in Delray Beach, I believe. I had my first Coppertail Sunday and had my second about five minutes later.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Got delayed yesterday, so I didn't get to go by the local beer joint that I stumbled on to get my Florida Cracker. But, I did go by today and they did, indeed have it along with a lager by CC and a Mango Wit and 850 Lager by Proof out of Tallahassee (shout out to Alkie). They actually had a couple of other offerings from some smaller breweries that I didn't recognize. Now, you have to understand that this little store is just outside of Havana FL in rural Gadsden County, so finding these offerings at such a quaint location is a get.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to get to enjoy one (or six) this evening, as we are taking my mother-in-law out for her birthday and the missus has made me swear an oath not to drink before or during our dining experience at the Seineyard. So, I'll report back tomorrow when I've had time to properly partake. Thursday is usually dad-cooks-on-the-grill night and there's nothing better than having a cool one while the meat is transforming (probably steak and always a few links of sausage). Other than the $9.99 price for six, I'm looking forward to the pleasure. Really, if it's as good as I'm expecting, the price is negligible.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just finished my first Florida Cracker and I'm here to tell you that it was pretty dog gone good! Seeing that the only thing I have to compare it with is the Erdinger, it didn't have as noticeable an aroma, the taste didn't have quite the hint of citrus, but it was still very smooth and didn't have a bitter note that I could detect. As it came in a can, I served myself in a glass and even the head was flavorful. I'm a big fan of ice cold beer, so I hid the can in the freezer for a bit and the first half of the glass was quite frosty. I was pleasantly surprised that the last half, though warming a little, was still very good. I reported that the price at the beer joint ($9.99 a six) was a little more than this old redneck was accustomed to paying. Even so, it was good enough that I'll likely be a regular at Salem Grocery to keep a stock on hand. I have to give credit where credit is due, so to all you guys (and girls, I see you Queenie) I say thanks for turning me on to something good. As I said, I've got a line on some Erdinger this weekend when I travel to Jax for the WLOCP. After that, I'll be looking to procure some Funky Buddha. I'm feeling more sophisticated already and look forward to turning down the next Bud Light that's offered (nah, if it's free, I'll take it)! Anyhow, thanks again.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Cans are better. Smaller to store and quicker to chill.

Glad you are enjoying a simple but fun self indulgence, Cover2. Seems to me you deserve it.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you've got a Total Wine near you, you should be able to find just about any good beer you want. Brad was spot on with Widmer being a really good American Hefeweisen. Other good American Hefe's would be Funky Buddha's Floridian and 312's Urban Wheat.

However, if you want a REALLY good Hefeweisen, buy German. One of my all time favorite beers of any kind is Weihenstephaner's Hefeweisen. There isn't a better beer to drink on a hot day. Erdinger's Hefe is also good. You can also go with the Hefe's from Franziskaner, Paulaner, Hofbrau or Ayinger.
Weihenstephaner is a good choice if you can find it. When I lived in Germany we drank the **** out of the schofferhofer because it had the right combination of good and cheap.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
though warming a little, was still very good.
IMO, the benchmark for any good beer is if you can wake up in the morning and finish what little bit you may have left in your glass, and like it. Most beers that I like (IPAs) are actually more flavorful when they're on the relatively warm side.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IMO, the benchmark for any good beer is if you can wake up in the morning and finish what little bit you may have left in your glass, and like it. Most beers that I like (IPAs) are actually more flavorful when they're on the relatively warm side.
What you say here is what I'm coming to understand about the characteristics. Of course, there are many years of unlearning to be done. I can only cringe when I think about pulling the tab on a lukewarm Schlitz while fishing on Shepard's Slough just off of the Apalachicola River or stopping by the place in Mexico Beach as a teenager where they'd fill your milk jug with tepid Bush for a buck. There's now a better way and better brands and as Pines says, I think I owe myself that much. I've had too much bad to mediocre beer (which, depending on what you believe, may or may not be so). Time to really enjoy the gusto!

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What you say here is what I'm coming to understand about the characteristics. Of course, there are many years of unlearning to be done. I can only cringe when I think about pulling the tab on a lukewarm Schlitz while fishing on Shepard's Slough just off of the Apalachicola River or stopping by the place in Mexico Beach as a teenager where they'd fill your milk jug with tepid Bush for a buck. There's now a better way and better brands and as Pines says, I think I owe myself that much. I've had too much bad to mediocre beer (which, depending on what you believe, may or may not be so). Time to really enjoy the gusto!

The craft beer movement is really making it fun. The great thing about beer is even if you invest in a whole six pack... you are only out $10. Is there an ABC fine wine and spirits or Total Wine near you? At ABC, you can through 3 aisles of craft beer and custom make your own 6 pack with 6 different bottles of anything you want. And then when you realize how amazing beer actually is.... make the mecca trip to Asheville, NC which has more breweries per capita than any city in the US (I think there is 26). Holy hell it is beer heaven. I actually leave Tuesday night to go to Brevard, NC and do nothing but flyfish and drink fresh, craft beer for a week. The Sierra Nevada brewery up there is one of the most amazing buildings I have ever stepped into:
sierra-nevada-front_wide-b59d1cc9eaa1aeceadec534ac0c1ad1326d6d037.jpg

Sierra-Nevada.jpg

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
The craft beer movement is really making it fun. The great thing about beer is even if you invest in a whole six pack... you are only out $10. Is there an ABC fine wine and spirits or Total Wine near you? At ABC, you can through 3 aisles of craft beer and custom make your own 6 pack with 6 different bottles of anything you want. And then when you realize how amazing beer actually is.... make the mecca trip to Asheville, NC which has more breweries per capita than any city in the US (I think there is 26). Holy hell it is beer heaven. I actually leave Tuesday night to go to Brevard, NC and do nothing but flyfish and drink fresh, craft beer for a week. The Sierra Nevada brewery up there is one of the most amazing buildings I have ever stepped into:
sierra-nevada-front_wide-b59d1cc9eaa1aeceadec534ac0c1ad1326d6d037.jpg

Sierra-Nevada.jpg

I gotta get there, as well as the New Belgium facility in Asheville. I might not ever get home!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator