Recruiting Best 3-star players in the SEC

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Would have loved to have gotten Ralph Webb:

825 3-star players signed with SEC teams in past 4 years. Here are the 10 biggest overachievers

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/10-biggest-3-star-overachievers-in-sec/

Three-star prospects often are overlooked by fans, when in fact, most teams have a plethora of those players to help build depth on an SEC roster.

In the past four recruiting classes (2013-2016), 825 3-star prospects signed with SEC teams, according to the 247sports Football Recruiting Composite Team Rankings.

Of those, here are 10 who made the biggest mark on the league.

10. Anthony Sherrils, DB, Missouri: It’s obvious the Tigers didn’t have a great first season under first-year coach Barry Odom. One bright spot was junior defensive back Anthony Sherrils in the secondary, and even on special teams some. Sherrils appeared in all 12 games, recording seven tackles in three of those games, also tallying one interception.

9. T.J. Holloman, LB, South Carolina: With Will Muschamp at the helm of the Gamecock program, this team has started to inherit Muschamp’s persona by playing with a certain nastiness and physicality on defense, and it all starts with senior linebacker T.J. Holloman. Holloman had 64 tackles and showed off his coverage skills by adding three interceptions.

8. Richie Brown, LB, Mississippi State: Richie Brown was arguably the best player on the 2016 Bulldogs defense. Brown had a season high 14 tackles and one forced fumble against Auburn, added 10 tackles against South Carolina and 13 against Samford. He finished with 102 tackles — fifth in the SEC. He was fifth in 2015 too, with 109 tackles.

7. Brooks Ellis, LB, Arkansas: The senior linebacker was a bright spot for a very physical Razorback defense in 2016, recording 83 tackles. Ellis had his best game of the season on the road against the TCU Horned Frogs, recording 13 total tackles in the game, with five assisted tackles, and a 47-yard interception return to get on the score board.

6. Antonio Callaway, WR, Florida: In his sophomore campaign, Antonio Callaway has made major impact for a maligned Gators offense. You can’t forget the 4th-and-14 reception and touchdown to pull the comeback on the Tennessee Volunteers in 2015, and statistically, the wide receiver caught 54 receptions for 721 yards and three touchdowns. Callaway has a chance to be one of the nations best receivers in 2017.

5. Kamryn Pettway, RB, Auburn: The Montgomery, Ala., native toted the rock for 1,224 rushing yards on 209 carries for 7 touchdowns this past season. He showed he could be a reliable and physical force for the Tigers’ offense. Luckily for Gus Malzahn, he still has a season with Pettway in the backfield, which isn’t good news for opposing defenses.

USATSI_9655042-1-610x407.jpg

Credit: John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

4. JK Scott, P, Alabama: Punters are people, too. Scott was fourth in the country by averaging 47.2 yards per punt, with a long of 66 yards for the 2016 season. Not only did Scott average over 50 yards per punt in six straight games for the Crimson Tide, he managed to punt at least one ball over 60 yards in five of those games.

3. Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss: Engram put up video game-like numbers during the 2016 season, catching 65 receptions for 926 yards and eight touchdowns. With Engram departing the program for the NFL Draft, Ole Miss will have some big shoes to fill at the tight end position. Having a tall frame with a NFL ready body bodes well for Engram, whose rise from No. 888 player in the 2013 class to draft prospect is one of the best in the past four recruiting classes.

2. Quincy Wilson, DB, Florida: Though Jalen “Teez” Tabor received most of the spotlight in the Gators’ secondary, Quincy Wilson proved that he is an elite cornerback and first-round prospect for the upcoming NFL Draft. Wilson finished the 2016 season with 33 tackles, 3.5 tackle for loss, and three interceptions ad six pass break-ups. He was the No. 371 player in the 2014 recruiting class.

1. Ralph Webb, RB, Vanderbilt: Webb was a workhorse for the Commodores, rushing 250 times for 1,283 yards and 13 touchdowns, leading the Commodores to their first bowl appearance under coach Derek Mason.

Webb’s 1,283 rushing yards nearly matched his recruiting ranking: He was the No. 1,226 player in the 2013 class, just the No. 77 running back.

Webb set the all-time rushing record for Vanderbilt this past season, and also announced to the media following the Commodores 41-17 loss to N.C. State in the Camping World Independence Bowl that he would be returning for his senior season. Webb could have another break out year and really boost his NFL Draft stock next season.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Uh Oh. Callaway is on the list...

Uh Oh. Wilson is on the list...

Uh Oh. They used 247 sports...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is a büllshyt article. Neither Callaway or Wilson are three stars. They were both solid four stars with Rivals. Click bait.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rivals has Wilson has the 14th ranked cornerback in the nation and 172nd ranked player overall.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a büllshyt article. Neither Callaway or Wilson are three stars. They were both solid four stars with Rivals. Click bait.

Don't shoot the messenger dude!!

Wasn't Jarrad Davis a 3-star? I always read that on here when we get a 3-star commit. You'd think he'd make that list. Maybe he was a 4-star on 247?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep if you are a 4 star on Rivals you shouldn't be in the discussion.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't shoot the messenger dude!!

Wasn't Jarrad Davis a 3-star? I always read that on here when we get a 3-star commit. You'd think he'd make that list. Maybe he was a 4-star on 247?

I think he was a three star. That's OK. There are 3 stars that play well. It sometimes happens.

And I didn't mean you were doing Clickbait. I meant that article is Clickbait.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Rivals has Wilson has the 14th ranked cornerback in the nation and 172nd ranked player overall.

Exactly. It seems like they are right a lot more than they are wrong. 247 does have some things that are useful - ie offer lists.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
A punter? A punter who averages 10 yards more per punt more than the worst punter or 5 yards more in net punting than the worst punter in the league. So 64/15 (did UAL play 15 games?) = 4.3 punts per game times 10 equals 43 yards and times 5 equals 21.5 yards per game? So he gained his team between 43 and 21.5 yards per game? Seriously? BTW, has punter ever had more than 3 stars in recruiting stargazing?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, has punter ever had more than 3 stars in recruiting stargazing?
The star ratings also reflect how much the player affects the game, ie a prostyle QB is worth more while a punter or fullback, even the number 1 guy, is usually a 3 star.

They havent adequately compensated for the fact that the punter is really the only person that matters in the McNusselchamp offense.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously the writer missed the memo that 3 Star players can't play in the SEC. It's against the laws of nature.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I get both sides of the argument. I understand 5*s have a higher % success rate. I also understand you see more 3*, well, because there are more of them. I also understand sometimes guys over perform or under perform based on the recruiting ranking site's rankings. Sometimes it's a matter of stepping back and looking at the big picture instead of just looking through one small window.

So far what I've seen is we've been bringing in a lot of 3* guys. Some of those 3* guys haven't been recruited heavily by the other power 5 conferences. Some of them have. Some of them never got a look until AFTER Mac offered them. :scratchchin:

I've also noticed another thing. Not all, but so far it sure looks like Mac's 3*s have been good enough to provide us with some quality snaps when called upon. That tells me maybe Mac can spot the diamonds in the rough. I know this, I'm not gonna knock any of these kids until they prove they ain't good enough to play. I'm glad they're Gators, and sure hope they make us proud!
:chomp:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously the writer miss the memo that 3 Star players can't play in the SEC. It's against the laws of nature.
So, if Butters is still getting his teeth kicked in next fall now that he has loaded the roster with his 3 star diamonds, you wont be whining about waiting until we fix facilities and he hires good recruiters, right? I know that has to be correct. There is no excuses for Mr. 3 Star Whisperer bc he is getting his players that fit his dynamic system, right?

Because Im really going to be shocked if you guys are still making excuses next fall. And Im being serial. Literally serial. Literally super serial.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So, if Butters is still getting his teeth kicked in next fall now that he has loaded the roster with his 3 star diamonds, you wont be whining about waiting until we fix facilities and he hires good recruiters, right? I know that has to be correct. There is no excuses for Mr. 3 Star Whisperer bc he is getting his players that fit his dynamic system, right?

Because Im really going to be shocked if you guys are still making excuses next fall. And Im being serial. Literally serial. Literally super serial.

The problem is that Mac offers all of the high 5-4 star kids too. He's not some whisperer. He's a bad recruiter that hits on a few lower ranked kids that will still get trucked by FSU & Bammers bluechippers. Great!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Just what excuses are you referring to :scratchhead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator