Best Gator game ever seen live?

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by Gator by the Sea, Jul 12, 2017.

1. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $273
    Ratings:
    +7,994 / -45
    I take back the Tennessee game as being the worst ever. It was definitely the Georgia Southern game. It's the only game I ever took my kids to. I'm taking them to one this year. We'll see how it plays out…

2. ATXGator

ATXGator Austin Gator
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $117
    Ratings:
    +3,616 / -39
    I was at that game also. It was a wild game!

I was also at the Cock Block game and while I would say the 97 game was the loudest Florida game I have been to, the Cock Block was the "instantaneous loudest".

3. ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
    $92
    Ratings:
    +1,318 / -133
    I have not seen that many live but here goes

Our SEC championship game were we beat Bama.

Tebow's last game.

4. MidwestChomp

MidwestChomp Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
    Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
    $216
    Ratings:
    +5,752 / -20
    I could watch the over and over and over

5. soflagator

soflagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $309
    Ratings:
    +4,818 / -7
    Nice thread.

In no particular order, I'd put my top 10 as follows:

'97 fsu--Probably as complete a game as it gets. Rivalry, implications, last second plays. Has it all.
    '91 fsu--Great slugfest, was on the sidelines and the Swamp was absolutely electric.
    '93 uga--Got pneumonia, but had a blast. The timeout just ripped their hearts out...again.
    '02 uga--Zero smack talk from our side. I believe the last night game, and just an epic meltdown from them.
    '08 uga--I'm not usually into dry-humping, but there's a time and place. That was it.
    '95 ut--Lots of fun, inexplicable second half.
    '15 ut--Frustrating at times, but a solid game with an epic finish.
    '94 SECCG--Awesome environment, classic Spurrier game.
    '91 Uk--Often overlooked. Secured our first official SEC. Great evening for the old timers who'd been due for some time.
    '94 uga--Just a beating with some freakish plays. Plus we were abusing Muschamp, making it that much better.

Worst
    '94 Aub--Maybe the quietest exit from BHG I've ever witnessed.
    '03 fsu--Swindle
    '13 gsu--Ashamed to say I had my son at that game. Just terrible.
    '87@Vu--Vintage 80's UF football.

6. Fishon

Fishon Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $24
    Ratings:
    +583 / -13
    My favorite live games:
    2000 - vs LSU, Rexy's first start and we crush Saban 41-9
    2000 - vs cocks, we go down 21-3 in the 1st qtr but climb all the back before halftime. Scoring included a TD catch from Tommy Moody (OG) and Lito taking a punt to the house (Lito!Lito!)

2008/9 - vs Oklahoma, for the BCS championship. doesn't get much better

2001, 2005, 2007, 2009 vs FSU. Every time we beat them at home is a great time
    2015 - vs UT

7. AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $59
    Ratings:
    +6,690 / -10
    '91 was an amazing year for home games.

The Cockblock game had a great ending, but for the first 3 quarters it wasn't that special. It was the OBC in the Swamp and an important game but the Cocks weren't hated rivals, we had no idea we'd be playing for a championship at the end of the year, and the crowd wasn't frenzied the whole game. We were hoping for Atlanta. '91 FSU and Tennessee and '97 FSU...the air was electric before kickoff and nobody sat the entire game...the whole game was life or death. Cockblock game built up, slowly, and then got super-intense at the very end. The block might be the loudest single moment in Swamp history but from beginning to end, it's not one of the top 5 games in the Swamp.

Alex.

8. Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $14
    Ratings:
    +7,074 / -21
    86 comeback over Auburn. Rained all day. The student section was a sweaty, wet, loud, drunken orgy of excitement. Cup wars, passing girls "over the top," the smell of Jim Beam and coke everywhere, 250 people crammed into a 150 seat block, people fighting and making out and screaming and passed out asleep. Pretty much a petri dish of everything that goes into the college experience. Lots of people got laid that night I can tell you.

9. Gator by the Sea

Gator by the Sea Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2
    Ratings:
    +209 / -1
    You're absolutely right about those FSU and Tennessee games... the atmosphere was electric from the opening kickoff (before that, actually) to the very end and no one ever sat. I guess it would just be nice to have been in the Swamp for the moment of that last block against SC. It was pretty cool though watching at the Wild Wing Cafe in Savannah. I was surrounded by dozens of Gator haters who were completely deflated as my wife and I celebrated wildly! And she actually called the block before it happened!

10. stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $80
    Ratings:
    +4,143 / -187
    69 Houston game. Super sophs show what they got.
    my first bowl game that year and we beat UT the SEC champs (Ray Graves last game as coach) in the Gator Bowl
    Beating WV in that Sugar Bowl when they were undefeated.
    Beating Cal in Tampa after the 0-10-1 year. FINALLY showed some offense. btw hottest game I ever sat through.

#30 stephenPE, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  11. AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $59
    Ratings:
    +6,690 / -10
    I posted this about that game about 100 years ago on the GSMB:
    The real story is that Bell was injured (bum wheel) and didn't expect to play. Offense was inept in the first half. Pell called Bell's number and he led us to 2 TD drives, the last with 36 seconds left. Extra point ties but Pell decides to go for the win. Here you go:

Alex.

12. TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $63
    Ratings:
    +3,747 / -28
    As I said in my post, listed this game as best game ever in the swamp.

13. Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $14
    Ratings:
    +7,074 / -21
    I don't know why but it seems like in all my earliest memories of Gator games in the swamp, its raining that day.

14. NavetG8r

NavetG8r Stupid

Oxbucks:
    $457
    Ratings:
    +9,290 / -61
    Did you only get to go to the games your mother didn't want to go to too?

15. Buckman2000

Buckman2000 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $3
    Ratings:
    +145 / -3
    My favorite game live was FSU '97. What a game! I lost my voice during that game. The atmosphere after the game at the clubs on university ave was just electric. Great f'n game!!!

16. Marianna-FL_Gator

Oxbucks:
    $249
    Ratings:
    +6,119 / -42
    08 UGA is at the top for me

17. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $569
    Ratings:
    +6,399 / -45
    The most amazing swing of emotions you can imagine -- from improbable come-from-behind upset victory to the most heartbreaking loss imaginable, all over the course of the final 1:30, the only loss we would experience the entiiiiiire 1984 season.

Soaped-up cars parading around Tampa Stadium before the game:

AIDS IS A CANE IN THE ASS
    KOSAR IS A QUEER

UF-Miami was the bomb back then.

18. BNAG8R

BNAG8R ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ mind, ⭐️ ⭐️ body

Oxbucks:
    $61
    Ratings:
    +2,208 / -11
    2007, Clowns in The Swamp. It was the first game my then 11 yr old daughter had been to in Gainesville (she had been to a couple Vandy games in Nashville). We were home for thanksgiving, and thought we'd drive over and see if we could get some scalp tickets. No luck until about 10 min before kickoff, and some guy walks up and says "is this your daughter?" (Creepy question). He then said "these tickets were for me and my daughter, but she couldn't make it, so I figured a dad and daughter should use them. 40 yd line, Row 15 - he wouldn't take more than face for them.

If you recall, that was the game that Tebow clinched the Heisman, and the stadium was absolutely rocking.

While it wasn't the biggest or most competitive or most important or loudest game I've been to..it was the best game I've been to. Seeing the look on her face, losing her voice with the rest of us, watching Timmy fking steamroll that bigmouth turd early in the game...just awesome. She became a Gator that day...and now she's starting her junior year this fall.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

19. MJMGator

MJMGator Slightly amused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $182
    Ratings:
    +11,257 / -94
    82 Miami game that James Jones caught that miracle, back-peddling, one-handed touchdown.
    84 Cocktail Party. 27-0 Gators. Goal line stand and the bomb to Nattiel. We were due!
    94 SECG. 24-23 Gators in the Dome over Bama.
    95 UT. Blew those m'fers out 62-37 after 7 straight TDs. Peyton NEVER beat the Gators!
    97 FSU in the Swamp. Loudest game I've ever been to. Spoiled their NC hopes.
    08 SECG. Tebow brought us back with pin-point accuracy on 3rd downs. Bama couldn't believe it.

Worst game I can recall has to be "Run, Lindsey, Run!" Fck those fcking leg humping SOBs!

20. GatorBart

GatorBart :bandit:
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $16
    Ratings:
    +4,958 / -22
    Took my wife to both Tebow vs. FSU games in the Swamp - the clowns scored one TD in 05, then nothing but FGs in 07.
    Those were her first two Gator games.

#40 GatorBart, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017