Best RB duo in SEC history: Cadillac Williams & Ronnie Brown?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And I believe that Rhett accumulated some stats. Well I just checked he gained 17 yards that year, before redshirting.

That is a bit of an oddity of the redshirt rules. You play a couple of games, accumulate some stats that count in your career totals, but do not use up any eligibility.
He racked up 845 yards the following season, a season that would have included Smith had he not turned pro a year early.

Can you imagine the offense of Spurrier's 1990 team with Emmitt Smith on board?

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
You're being a homer. Nothing wrong with that list. I would have #3 at #1 but that's splitting hairs.

beteez

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Best trio, Cribbs, Brooks & Andrews. For us old folks.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You're being a homer. Nothing wrong with that list. I would have #3 at #1 but that's splitting hairs.

Of course all the top RB pairs in the SEC history have played since 2000. Before that the SEC was all passing all the time.

You might check out the 1984 season of Joe Cribbs and James Brooks:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/auburn/1979.html

in which they gained a total of 2328 yards in 11 game. Compare that to the 2004 season of Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/auburn/2004.html

in which they gained 2078 yards in 13 games.

Some SEC teams were very good running the wishbone. Those had to have good RBs too, but they were not after the turn of the century. So I guess they really did not happen.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I brought this subject up with my dad and brother yesterday. My dad is a lifetime gator, he went to uf and graduated in the 80's. We talked about John L., N.Anderson and Hampton being the best trio ever in the SEC. I couldn't really think of a better trio. Maybe Henry, Yeldon & Drake at Bama? Or Ingram, Richardson & Upchurch?
Crossing my fingers that our best trio will end up being Malik Davis, D. Pierce & Trey Sanders.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I brought this subject up with my dad and brother yesterday. My dad is a lifetime gator, he went to uf and graduated in the 80's. We talked about John L., N.Anderson and Hampton being the best trio ever in the SEC. I couldn't really think of a better trio. Maybe Henry, Yeldon & Drake at Bama? Or Ingram, Richardson & Upchurch?
Crossing my fingers that our best trio will end up being Malik Davis, D. Pierce & Trey Sanders.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

You can say that again...

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
1982 UF backfield with four future first round running backs. Jones, Anderson, Hampton, and Williams.
This, and it's not even close. John L, and J Jones were fullbacks that ran like tailbacks. Both played 10+ years in the NFL , Im not sure anybody on the list did that.

Then there's Neal Anderson he's just the guy that made Walter Peyton's retirement a formality and would have probably been cut if not for closing in on Jim Browns rushing record. That leaves Hampton who had more than a cup of coffee in the NFL his self, and if not for his straight-up running style may been the best of all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator