Best/Worst UF PGs

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who are some of the best and worst PGs in UF Basketball history? Here are a few:

Best - Dan Cross, Jason Williams, Eddie Shannon, Brett Nelson, Justin Hamilton, Anthony PEEP Roberson, Tauren Green, Scottie Wilbekin, Chris Chiozza

Worst - Orien Greene, Ryan Appleby, Jai Lucas, Rod Tishman, Braxton Ogbueze

In the Midde - Greg Williams, Walter Hodge, Nick Calathas, Erving Walker, Kasey Hill, Michael Okauru

Those are in no particular order. Discuss!

Last edited:

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe not on defense, but if Calathes stayed all four years, he would have destroyed, maybe for good, the assists record at UF, and he was flashy. I'd have to say the best comes down to T. Green, C. Chiozza, and S. Wilbekin..if only because J-Will wasn't here long enough.

But my favorite of those three has to be Green, if only because he was the floor general during our only two National Title game wins. But Wilbekin and especially Cheeze have had their moments, and Cheeze may not be done making memorable plays quite yet.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Cheese is the best passer I’ve ever seen here. Green probably had the total package more than anyone and won the titles. If Scottie had won the title in ‘14, he’d probably be the best. He was an incredible on ball defender, maybe the best we’ve had at PG.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
JWill, Wilbekin and Green are top 3.

Calathes wasn’t here long enough. Hamilton just misses top 3, and Cheese is in second tier.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Toss-up between Green and Wilbekin. Green was a better ball-handler and shooter, but Scottie could play some defense like no other. Green was surrounded by our best team ever. Scottie had some of the grittiest performances in the clutch.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Green and JWill lead the pack. With Scottie right behind.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I think I would rate them:

1. Wilbekin
2. Green
3. Chiozza
4. Shannon
5. Cross

Jason Williams was a fun NBA player to watch, but his 20 game UF career is not enough for me to put him on my list.

Last edited:

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Erving Walker is probably the worst. He used to drive me bonkers driving recklessly to the hole when he was five foot nothing.

Best is Jason Williams. By far.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1) Williams
2) Green
3) Wilbekin

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Justin Hamilton getting too little love. He was one of our best on ball defenders before Scottie or Hill. Led that final four run.

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Eddie Shannon had a great career at UF and although he never made it in the NBA he had a very long (more than a decade) playing professionally overseas. All around great guy.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ronnie Montgomery and Andrew Moten were two of the first Gator PG's that I remember as a teenager, when UF - finally (in my early lifetime) - had a good basketball team. Those two, along and Maxwell were fun to watch.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Ronnie Montgomery and Andrew Moten were two of the first Gator PG's that I remember as a teenager, when UF - finally (in my early lifetime) - had a good basketball team. Those two, along and Maxwell were fun to watch.

You are right, I should have had Moten ahead of Shannon on my list. Moten was a great great player.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

1. Wilbekin
2. Green
3. Chiozza
4. Shannon
5. Cross

Jason Williams was a fun NBA player to watch, but his 20 game UF career is not enough for me to put him on my list.

I am with you. How can we possibly consider Jason Williams when he only played about twenty more games than I did?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
How is Chiozza among the best? :headslap:

My top 5 in no order:

1. Scottie Wilbekin
2. Taurean Green
3. Dan Cross
4. Anthony Roberson
5. Nick Calathes

Honorable mention: Erving Walker, J-Will (left off due to one year), Eddie Shannon

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

1. Wilbekin
2. Green
3. Chiozza
4. Shannon
5. Cross

I love me some one eye Eddie, but I'd have to Cross at 4 and Hamilton at 5. I always felt like Hamilton was under-rated, especially because he was such a good defender.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Scottie probably the best defender, Green had the best career. White chocolate was the funnest to watch.

1.Jason Williams ( i claim him)
2.Taurien Green
3. Scottie Wilbeikin
4.Chris Chiozza
5. Anthony Roberson

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

My top 5 in no order:

1. Scottie Wilbekin
2. Taurean Green
3. Dan Cross
4. Anthony Roberson
5. Nick Calathes

Honorable mention: Erving Walker, J-Will (left off due to one year), Eddie Shannon
How the hell is Erving on your list?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
How the hell is Erving on your list?

He averaged in double figures every year he was at Florida. That alone deserves an honorable mention over Chiozza who has done it only once.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

My top 5 in no order:

1. Scottie Wilbekin
2. Taurean Green
3. Dan Cross
4. Anthony Roberson
5. Nick Calathes

Seriously? Roberson AND that quitter Calathes over a truly great Gator in Justin Hamilton.

Even Brett Nelson is getting slighted by including those two. Nelson beats Roberson on nearly every key career metric (assts, asst/game, steals, steals/game, 3ptrs, 3pt%).

Again, Calathes quit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb