Better or worse if Chimp had been kept?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Law's comment In the other thread, "Btw, I don't look forward to playing USC." Started me wondering, where would our program be had we simply kept Muschamp all these years? Are his problems "irredeemable"? Or is he capable of learning? Probably still have a good defense. Would Roper have a better offense than we now have? Vent if you wish, Not a dime's worth of difference ... etc, but we have spent millions for what?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He is a better Head Coach today than he was when he was here.

Would he have been able to turn the ship around here? I dunno.

Alex.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Better, he could recruit. But I couldn't take it anymore either when they fired him so I don't want to be hypocritical.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He is a better Head Coach today than he was when he was here.

Would he have been able to turn the ship around here? I dunno.

Alex.
I agree, Alex. Definitely better than when he was here. I don't know either whether he could have ever gotten it turned around here. Kinda doubt it. After meeting him and talking to him on the elevator down at one of Jimmy Rane's get-togethers, I think he needed to have his tail busted before he could learn to get out of his own way and become a better HC. Not saying he'll win any championships where he is, but I believe getting fired was what he had to have at the point he was at in his career in order to become higher-functioning (I didn't say he has become cream of the crop). Only problem with his dynamic is that even though his pride was hurt, his pocketbook wasn't. The latter happening can really cause some life-changing introspection and in today's coaching world, this part of the equation is usually eliminated with the extensions that are so easily had.

Worse off now? Feels like it for some reason. Funny thing, those two East titles aren't generating a warm, fuzzy feeling right about now.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp had to be fired to be the coach he is today, which is better than the version we had. The question is, did his new view on offense come from his trust in Roper, and with Roper (who was a better fit for Grier) would the offense been more dynamic?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Funny thing, those two East titles are generating a warm, fuzzy feeling right about now.
I'd like to know with whom...
Sorry Trux, I had to go back and edit to "aren't!" My bad :deadnanner:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are his problems "irredeemable"?
Yes, he is irredeemable. Butters and Chimp are two variations the same flavor ice cream. Hring the guy best known for losing 9-6 to LSU in the biggest game of his career proves that Callaway isnt the only one abusing drugs

Roper is a good point. IMO we would have been better off keeping him (or DJ) as interim until they either proved themselves or until a championship coach became available.

Blowing 25 million here and 25 million there on these dents and defects bin third tier coaches is incomprehensible.

If my math is right, weve spent almost 40 million on these coaches that no one else wanted to average 4.5 losses a year. Bammer paid about 42ish million for Saban.

Let that sink in. Boy that Fooley sure is good at "saving" money.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Is there any benefit in continuity at all? Brissett is playing in the NFL, and Driskel may be on a practice squad.. Chimp said that if he had had Roper as OC to begin with, he would still be at UF.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is there any benefit in continuity at all? Brissett is playing in the NFL, and Driskel may be on a practice squad.. Chimp said that if he had had Roper as OC to begin with, he would still be at UF.

Which might be true, but he had burned a lot of bridges before Roper got him. 3 vastly different OC's in 4 years, along with his attitude was the last nail in the coffin.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Chimp is terrible.

He breaks out in hives when someone discusses offense.

Ive seen in before. Someone gets divorced, they workout lose weight, make themselves more attractive, but in a few years their old habits return.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Funny thing, those two East titles are generating a warm, fuzzy feeling right about now.

Sorry Trux, I had to go back and edit to "aren't!" My bad :deadnanner:

forgiven. didn't think it was quite right, but you know how some of the inmates are around this asylum, would pump Clarabelle after throwing her 3rd INT.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We're better off. We got the facilities we needed. And the recruiting has been relatively better balanced. The defense is for sure lacking but it is not a straight disaster like the offense was under Muschamp.

A new coach could come in and bring in a couple transfers and win immediately.

BTW I still think Mac could do it but not with Nuss as his OC. And if he elects to die on that hill with Nuss then he deserves to get canned.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think he needed to have his tail busted before he could learn to get out of his own way and become a better HC.
This is my thought as well. Him getting canned and humbled by force has made him a much better version. Don't think that happens if he stays here. We'd still be losing games 16-6 and hearing about midlines if he had.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is my thought as well. Him getting canned and humbled by force has made him a much better version. Don't think that happens if he stays here. We'd still be losing games 16-6 and hearing about midlines if he had.

That is the reason that you don't have coaches cutting their teeth at UF. They should be HBCs elsewhere first.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
through this point in their careers at UF, they have the same record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator