Better or worse if Chimp had been kept?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Except Mac has won the east multiple times and has only lost to superior teams.

Not an argument for either, just thought it was a funny stat I saw on my google notifications just after this thread was posted.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are slightly better off for now. Muschamp didn't have much going for him recruiting wise in his last year here, and it was obvious we needed a change just to kick start recruiting. I agree with others that getting fired has made him a better coach. I also agree with J that Mac gets some credit for bringing in improved facilities and he did bring in some good offensive players. Defense isn't up to par, but that can be rebuilt with one more recruiting class that includes big DT's and LB's.

That said the longer Mac is here, the worse off it looks like we will be. I think Mac will struggle to hold this great recruiting class together, and no one else will want to come until they see some positive results, which probably won't happen this year since Mac insists on putting his friends (Nuss and Nord) ahead of the team.

A large difference between Muschamp and Nuss is that Muschamp at least verbally admitted that coaching needed to improve, and he didn't keep his dead-weight OC longer than 2 years. Mac still hasn't admitted any fault for himself or his staff. Mac's stubbornness and pride may be the true source of his downfall. Not just his loyalty to crappy coaches.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Better, he could recruit. But I couldn't take it anymore either when they fired him so I don't want to be hypocritical.
He could recruit defense...but did a lousy job of recruiting offense. I still think mac sucks recruiting but he has improved the talent level on offense it's just he's so freaking bad at coaching offense nobody can tell. Then throw in mac's bad recruiting on defense and poor coaching on that side of the ball and we see what is happening there.

Bottom line is Muschamp should have never been hired here, then he shouldn't have made it past the georgia southern game, and then Mac should have never been hired here. We keep piling on to our problems by hiring and retaining awful coaching staffs.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Except Mac has won the east multiple times and has only lost to superior teams.

Muschamp also won more games in a single season than Mac has, and if UGA were as bad then as they are now, then Muschamp would have that Division Title. Part of Mac's success was good timing.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No disputing that Mac sucks. I'd like to see what he looks like without Nuss.

But if he doesn't want to get rid of him then kick his ass out.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No disputing that Mac sucks. I'd like to see what he looks like without Nuss.

But if he doesn't want to get rid of him then kick his ass out.
As in you want to see nuss gone now and see how mac does or see year 4 of mac without nuss? I don't want to see year 4 of this crap

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, if you are talking fire Nusschump TODAY and see if Butters can right the ship RIGHT FVKKING NOW, that would be a welcome move though I admit I have no faith in Butters as a playcaller having seen his work. At least it is something.

However, there is no reason to gve a guy another year just to watch him further destroy the program.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As in you want to see nuss gone now and see how mac does or see year 4 of mac without nuss? I don't want to see year 4 of this crap

No. I'd like to see him cut him in the next week or two and see the rest of the season without him. If he keeps him for the season – fire him.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What is the reason that you don't have coaches cutting their teeth at UF. They should be HBCs elsewhere first.
I'd sure like for us to try that model again, although technically Mac fits that bill! Seriously, I know what you are saying. Why can't we get a proven and experienced HC that has been successful against the elite in college football instead of these guys lately that come in with training wheels? Don't know for certain, but I think that there may not be that many of them that fit the criteria and those that do are comfortable (as much as anyone depending on the late teens and twenty-somethings for their livelihoods can be) and very well paid. Why move if you are reasonably happy and you don't have to? If they happen to get canned, most are likely sitting on a big pile of cash, so there might not be much incentive to jump back into the arena :dunno:

The best coaches nowadays don't seem to be the vagabonds of past days. They're maybe more like corporate executives with huge stock options.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd sure like for us to try that model again, although technically Mac fits that bill! Seriously, I know what you are saying. Why can't we get a proven and experienced HC that has been successful against the elite in college football instead of these guys lately that come in with training wheels? Don't know for certain, but I think that there may not be that many of them that fit the criteria and those that do are comfortable (as much as anyone depending on the late teens and twenty-somethings for their livelihoods can be) and very well paid. Why move if you are reasonably happy and you don't have to? If they happen to get canned, most are likely sitting on a big pile of cash, so there might not be much incentive to jump back into the arena :dunno:

The best coaches nowadays don't seem to be the vagabonds of past days. They're maybe more like corporate executives with huge stock options.

Administrations do it for sure. I think Foley just always thought he was the smartest man in the room. And he got cocky about. And got cute.

The best leaders surround themselves with the smartest people.

He did the coaching search the way that Nuss does his play calling. Overthinking and constantly trying to trick and manipulate a situation.

Sometimes it's just about lining your guys up and whipping the other team.

Same in looking for a coach – bring in talented guys who have had success at all their programs and bring them in to institute their model for success.

It's really not rocket science.

Sorry – I meant rocket surgery.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Administrations do it for sure. I think Foley just always thought he was the smartest man in the room. And he got cocky about. And got cute.

The best leaders surround themselves with the smartest people.

He did the coaching search the way that Nuss does his play calling. Overthinking and constantly trying to trick and manipulate a situation.

Sometimes it's just about lining your guys up and whipping the other team.

Same in looking for a coach – bring in talented guys who have had success at all their programs and bring them in to institute their model for success.

It's really not rocket science.

Sorry – I meant rocket surgery.

You mean like McElwain being removed from the search list not once, but twice by the search team.... before Foley put him back on?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You mean like McElwain being removed from the search list not once, but twice by the search team.... before Foley put him back on?

I didn't know that. But that furthers the point that he didn't even listen to other people.

Sadly.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He could recruit defense...but did a lousy job of recruiting offense.
This keeps getting parroted but it just isnt true. Compare the rosters and classes. People are discounting say Chimp's class w the five wRs (DRob, fulton, Worton, etc) who were supposed to save the program but credits Mac's receiver class who havent done anything w saving the program. I will believe when I see it.

QBs, no different. Chimp landed two fours stars. Butters landed one.

OL- Better numbers with Butters but more bluechippers w Chimp. Of ciurse, neither produced a decent line but Id argue that at least occasionally were effective at runblocking under Chimp.

RBs more depth for Butters but so far none have been effective.

It is certainly arguable that Chimp recruited just as well if not ever so slightly better, which so far is evident in the stats (terrible, but Butters slightly worse).

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Some really good insights here. As been said we are better now just because Mac has made some facilities and program improvements. Our football team is not better but he did "landscape" for his replacement.

Chump still sucks but has learned due to his abysmal failure to let offense open up. He may not have done that here.

Chump lost his team, so there would have been no redemption. Mac is currently losing his team. We will have guys taking themselves out of games toward the end of the season to avoid further embarrassment and injury.

We've all seen this movie before, unfortunately this is our new president and ad's first showing.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Law's comment In the other thread, "Btw, I don't look forward to playing USC." Started me wondering, where would our program be had we simply kept Muschamp all these years? Are his problems "irredeemable"? Or is he capable of learning? Probably still have a good defense. Would Roper have a better offense than we now have? Vent if you wish, Not a dime's worth of difference ... etc, but we have spent millions for what?

Even if he has learned after being fired, there is no assurance he would have learned had he NOT been fired. This is a mistake people make when players get kicked off the team and go else where and play well or in pro sports get traded and go else where and play better. Some times people need a kick in the butt to get the to get their head out of their butt.

Muschamp was likely never going to change at UF. Now at SoCar, he might change to show those idiots who fired him at UF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator