Bianchi makes some pretty good points

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's been said before but it bears repeating.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-tim-tebow-mets-20170719-story.html

"All Tebow ever did as a quarterback was win — a state championship in high school, two national championships and a Heisman Trophy in college and a playoff victory during his only season as an NFL starter.

Never in history has there been a quarterback chosen in the first round of the NFL draft who was given less of a chance to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. Look it up: Other than Tebow, there’s never been a quarterback who compiled a winning record (8-4) as a starter, took his team to the playoffs in his only year as a starter and never again started another game.

The reason for this is simple: NFL coaches didn’t think Tebow was good enough to justify the hype and hullabaloo that came with having him on the roster. Don’t tell me Tebow wasn’t at least good enough to be a backup QB for the Browns or the Bills. Except NFL coaches don’t like it when their backup QB is a cultural icon and sells more jerseys than the starting QB."

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
He needs hits alright. Right in his smug face...[/QUOTE]

Yes! I can't stand Bianchi either, but he's absolutely right about Tebow. Never has anybody more deserving been given less of a chance to prove himself.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn't agree more. Bianchi nailed it.

I disagree with this whole post. If Tebow was good enough somebody would have signed him. He had chances with the Jets and Patriots and couldn't perform good enough.

My opinion is the more they messed with his delivery the worse his accuracy got and he never recovered. He really wasn't that good when he played in the NFL. You could watch him and see he wasn't a good enough passer. I love the guy, but it is what it is... he is not NFL QB talent.

I wish people would stop harping on this and just enjoy the guy for the amazing college player and person he is.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He needs hits alright. Right in his smug face...

Yes! I can't stand Bianchi either, but he's absolutely right about Tebow. Never has anybody more deserving been given less of a chance to prove himself.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. He is right about Tebow. But he's still an ass...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Many QBs with no NFL stats at all, yet-to-qualify as starter were given years "on the bench" during which they could improve or have some epiphony (to switch positions, to retire with dignity etc.) There are plenty of NFL QBs whose names you don't know - never heard that have more than 8 years "on the bench". Tebow was somewhat hounded out of the NFL, unlike those that nobody knew of, heard of.

Hope he really catches back up to his baseball skills & those instincts come back. Barelling around those bases he reminds me of a muscular Pete Rose type ballplayer - lord knows he hustles. Plus Tebow loves to work out with weights (I think his muscling-up interfered with developing a standard QB delivery) In baseball weight training rarely interferes with techniques.?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Really Tebow is an ideal NFL backup QB.

What do you need in a back up QB.

1. Someone who can wins some games if you starter gets hurt. CHECK.

2. Beyond that someone who could possibly win an early round playoff game if your starter is hurt. CHECK.

What you don't need is to be developing some other teams future starter who is not good enough to play if needed now.

But insecure NFL coaches viewed him as a coach killer. Also there is the peer pressure issue they were mostly too weak to deal with.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's been said before but it bears repeating.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-tim-tebow-mets-20170719-story.html

"All Tebow ever did as a quarterback was win — a state championship in high school, two national championships and a Heisman Trophy in college and a playoff victory during his only season as an NFL starter.

Tommy Frazier, Matt Leinart, Ken Dorsey, Danny Wuerfell, etc.. were all winners in college...

Never in history has there been a quarterback chosen in the first round of the NFL draft who was given less of a chance to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. Look it up: Other than Tebow, there’s never been a quarterback who compiled a winning record (8-4) as a starter, took his team to the playoffs in his only year as a starter and never again started another game.

2010 1-2
2011 7-4 (reg season) 1-1 (post season)
total: 9-7

So the stats were changed to fit his argument? Even in Tebows 2011 season he was 8-5. I do believe he might be the last quarterback to lead his team to the play offs and not start another game for any team. In 2001 the Ravens got rid of Dilfer after he won the Super Bowl, to upgrade at qb. As far as the argument he didn't have another opportunities, he was in training camp with four teams Denver, NYJ, NE, and Philly. That's four chances, quarterbacks that were drafted higher have been given less opportunity. Jim Druckenmiller (25th overall - '97) only 3 years in the league (2 teams), Cade McNown (12th overall - '99) only 4 years (3 teams), Akili Smith (3rd overall - '99) 4 years (1 team), just at a quick glance. If you are drafted on potential, and the argument is that Tebow's potential wasn't refined.

The reason for this is simple: NFL coaches didn’t think Tebow was good enough to justify the hype and hullabaloo that came with having him on the roster. Don’t tell me Tebow wasn’t at least good enough to be a backup QB for the Browns or the Bills. Except NFL coaches don’t like it when their backup QB is a cultural icon and sells more jerseys than the starting QB."

The question is when did Tebow prove he was worth the hype? He had a total touchdown to turnover ratio of 29-24 that's not great. Is having a back up where you have to change your entire offense worth having, compared to being able to insert a guy who can run the offense you have in place. Also him being left handed, means you would have to completely change your protections (which is why right handers are a premium). Now I think there are teams he would be a good back, like Carolina. But for 30 out of 32 teams he wouldn't be a good fit on offense.

Now from a marketing standpoint, I don't understand why the Jags didn't at least kick the tires for a season. But other than that, there is no valid argument for the majority of teams to pick up Tebow. The upside isn't there.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The reasons he was not a starter can be debated. As a back up? No one wanted that circus for only a back up QB.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
The Jags could have used him in some capacity - QB, fullback, wildcat, anything - and their pitiful attendance would have doubled. They've never been any good - Fred Taylor was the best thing that ever took the field at what-the-hell-is-the-name-this-year stadium.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Hard to believe that Tebow wasn't good enough to at least hold a clipboard in the NFL. Tebowmania just made him a polarizing figure and coaches hate a distraction like that, especially in the locker room . One things for sure, he don't need the NFL, but the NFL probably wishes they had such a positive role model as one of their representatives.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Tommy Frazier, Matt Leinart, Ken Dorsey, Danny Wuerfell, etc.. were all winners in college...

Frazier: Developed a blood clotting problem between the end of his SR year and the NFL draft and had essentially no pro opportunity or career.
Leinart: NFL career of 7 years.
Dorsey: NOT A 1st round pick, but as a 7th round pick he had a 5 year NFL career and started 7 games.
Wuerffel: NOT a 1st round pick, but as a 4th round pick he had a 6 year NFL career and could have played more had he wanted.
Tebow: A 1st round pick who played only 3 seasons in the NFL.

Even your examples make Bianchi's obvious point. Find another undead and uninjured 1st round pick who oplayed only 3 seasons in the NFL and then maybe you could start contributing to this discussion.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Jags ..... They've never been any good..
Sorry but for a couple years they were one of the best teams in the league. Boselli and Searcy up front, Brunell, Smith, McCardell etc. They made the playoffs 4 years in a row, winning their division in 98 and 99 and had the best record in the NFL in 99 and the #1 seed in the playoffs. They just couldn't figure out Steve McNair and all three of their losses that year were to the Titans.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Frazier: Developed a blood clotting problem between the end of his SR year and the NFL draft and had essentially no pro opportunity or career.
Leinart: NFL career of 7 years.
Dorsey: NOT A 1st round pick, but as a 7th round pick he had a 5 year NFL career and started 7 games.
Wuerffel: NOT a 1st round pick, but as a 4th round pick he had a 6 year NFL career and could have played more had he wanted.
Tebow: A 1st round pick who played only 3 seasons in the NFL.

Tebow in two different training camps after his 3 seasons, admitted wouldn't take a position change for the Patriots. But it's further prove that College success doesn't mean NFL success.

Even your examples make Bianchi's obvious point. Find another undead and uninjured 1st round pick who only played only 3 seasons in the NFL and then maybe you could start contributing to this discussion.

Actually they don't... he had four opportunities to latch on to a team. So your saying Bianchi's changing of his win/loss record, the 27-24 td/to ratio, or the fact that he doesn't fit into roughly 90% offenses makes his point. You are reading with your O/B glasses, you in turn need to look at this as an NFL GM. Do I want to bring in a guy, that if my starter goes down we have to change our offense for? Change our protections for? Is that something we want to have to do mid game? If Tebow had gone CFL route to learn the passing game better, maybe there is more of an argument. Tebow was functional on a team that ran the Muschamp offense, and beat only one team with a better than .500 record and that was the Steelers in the Playoffs. That won't work in the NFL.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
And, yes, it still bothers me that the hopeless hype-less Jacksonville Jaguarswouldn’t take a chance on Tebow — a hometown hero who grew up in Jacksonville to become a Florida Gators legend and one of the greatest college football players of all time. If I’ve written it once, I’ve written it a million times: Why didn’t the Jaguars, a franchise that has been irrelevant for a decade, roll the dice on Tebow, build an offense around him and give him three years to develop as they did Blaine Gabbert, who was 5-22 as Jags starter?
Because they are a dumazzz franchise with no balls or vision. Btw i Like Mike and have since his Gville Sun days...........he was a gator and still is.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree with this whole post. If Tebow was good enough somebody would have signed him. He had chances with the Jets and Patriots and couldn't perform good enough.

My opinion is the more they messed with his delivery the worse his accuracy got and he never recovered. He really wasn't that good when he played in the NFL. You could watch him and see he wasn't a good enough passer. I love the guy, but it is what it is... he is not NFL QB talent.

I wish people would stop harping on this and just enjoy the guy for the amazing college player and person he is.

Some people get emotionally attached to a player and can't see the truth regarding what they actually do on the field...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb