Billy Donovan Comments on Muschamp

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Billy basically says all the same things that led me to like Will Muschamp from the beginning. He's a good guy that the players love and he wants to be successful. He's turned around the program as far as off the field shenanigans, and he's brought in some quality recruiting classes, but he's had some misses that have cost us dearly on the offensive side of the ball too. And unfortunately after 4 years I think everybody with any football sense at all can see he just isn't cut out of head coach material. At least not yet, and UF isn't going to sit around for a decade waiting for him to come into his own. Well, maybe Jeremy Foley would if the UF fans and boosters would let him, but I believe the pressure is probably getting pretty high about now. If we lose to UGA again this year, I believe Jeremy will have to announce the end of the Muschamp era.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The vote of support was for the effort and commitment put forth by Muschamp, not the product on the field. I don't know how ANYONE could endorse what we've been seeing.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n91210]The vote of support was for the effort and commitment put forth by Muschamp, not the product on the field. I don't know how ANYONE could endorse what we've been seeing.[/QUOTE]

And he can't which is why he carefully avoids it. Billy D is great, and I respect him tremendously. But there are many great kids who work really hard in HS and do all the right things. That alone doesn't earn them a scholarship offer from him. Why? Because at some point, it's a business and it comes down to ability and performance. It's really no different.

O

orcajack

Founding Member
Founding Member
G 2;n91035 said:
Enough said.
That's right. Who really cares what Donovan's opinion is. Nothing against him, though.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
orcajack;n91315 said:
That's right. Who really cares what Donovan's opinion is. Nothing against him, though.

Are you a killer whale activist?

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Being a hard working good guy qualifies him to be a manager at Home Depot. It doesn't mean he should be an SEC head football coach. As far as it being hard on his family, they have benefited greatly from the millions he has been given from UF. My heart does not bleed for them one bit.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am glad to see the direction this thread went. I'm not lobbying to save the guy, but he's become a swear word here (not completely unreasonable) and some of the criticism has gone to his character. I agree with Donovan that he works hard and is a authentically great guy - both of which have been debated on this board in recent days. I thought that it was worth it to post Donovan's thoughts on him, if for no other reason that to "log" his opinion, but I'm glad that many people have agreed with the assertion that he's a good guy and has worked hard. Again, that isn't enough, we all agree that results are what you measure, not intent or even activity.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Reading through the replies on this thread did lead me to a question, though. I wonder what his UF head coaching career would have been if he had hired a good to great offensive coordinator the first year. Even if there was turn-over with other positions (WR coach, D-Line, O-Line, D-coordinator) if we had consistently good O-coordination and stability, I wonder if we could have gotten a Diggs, Algohor, or a QB after Driskel / Brissett that was worth his scholarship. I know there may be endless "what if's" in a situation like this, but I don't remember anyone ever saying this and I think it is significant. He got Weis who wasn't successful and was gone after one season. If that went differently, we might have had a very different experience over the last 3 seasons.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n91373 said:
Reading through the replies on this thread did lead me to a question, though. I wonder what his UF head coaching career would have been if he had hired a good to great offensive coordinator the first year. Even if there was turn-over with other positions (WR coach, D-Line, O-Line, D-coordinator) if we had consistently good O-coordination and stability, I wonder if we could have gotten a Diggs, Algohor, or a QB after Driskel / Brissett that was worth his scholarship. I know there may be endless "what if's" in a situation like this, but I don't remember anyone ever saying this and I think it is significant. He got Weis who wasn't successful and was gone after one season. If that went differently, we might have had a very different experience over the last 3 seasons.
It's completely irrelevant who he would have hired at OC, since he doesn't let the OC run his own offense anyway.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
EuroGator;n91373 said:

Yea, we can always speculate. Problem is, we made the investment and it didnt pan out. I think its safe to say we all wanted good results. I think the fact that we are on our 3rd OC, it likely wouldnt matter who he hired since it appears he refuses to allow his OC to make decisions.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n91381 said:
I think the fact that we are on our 3rd OC, it likely wouldnt matter who he hired since it appears he refuses to allow his OC to make decisions.

Do you think the first two left because they didn't have enough control over the offense?

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n91384 said:
Do you think the first two left because they didn't have enough control over the offense?

You are obviously blinded by your love for WM.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Im hoping Roper has another job lined up. He shouldnt have made this move...

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n91310 said:
But there are many great kids who work really hard in HS and do all the right things. That alone doesn't earn them a scholarship offer from him. Why? Because at some point, it's a business and it comes down to ability and performance. It's really no different.

^^ THIS

yoshi_gator

The Good Samurai
Oct 26, 2014
"...I think he's an outstanding football coach. I don't know enough about the X's and O's in football to probably pass an opinion on that."

Seriously. The very last words out of your mouth were an opinion on that.

I have no problem with Donovan but this is why I could care less what he has to say on this subject. Or Foley's or such. They are not going to speak anything really truthful about the matter. Just 100% approved PR spin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.