Billy Donovan reconsidering NBA?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BostonGator84;n196164 said:
No. the Celtics love what Brad Stevens is doing up here. To take a bunch of nobodies, get them to play together, play hard and be in contention for a playoff berth when expected to be in full-on tankapalooza mode has gotten the fan base up here very excited about the future with Stevens. I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Damn it.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n195893 said:
Just want to add that the slider picture for this topic is hilarious.

Attachments

• conv_2757.jpg
    conv_2757.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 27

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
After reading Franz beard thoughts on the day I don't think Billy would leave. He kinda put things in perspective. Would Billy leave after his first losing season in 17 years after what he's built here? And would he leave after Kentucky goes 40-0 ? I just think the ties he has with the community here I just don't know that he would go. If okc came calling, that would worry me.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n196338 said:
After reading Franz beard thoughts on the day I don't think Billy would leave. He kinda put things in perspective. Would Billy leave after his first losing season in 17 years after what he's built here? And would he leave after Kentucky goes 40-0 ? I just think the ties he has with the community here I just don't know that he would go. If okc came calling, that would worry me.

As a resident of central Florida, I look forward to Billy D's future employment with the Orlando Magic. It's gonna be great! :hehehe:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n196347 said:
As a resident of central Florida, I look forward to Billy D's future employment with the Orlando Magic. It's gonna be great! :hehehe:
I don't think it would be a good move, they got a couple nice young players but meh

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n196359 said:
I don't think it would be a good move, they got a couple nice young players but meh

based on what? As it stands right now, they will be in pretty good position to grab another good/top player in the draft, and they will have tons of salary room to a quality FA, if they have a solid head coach, and have even more room going forward.

The current management is making all the right moves to set this team up for success, and still bringing in quality players...the puzzle just isn't complete yet.

Like I said, I look forward to Billy D spending his days in Orlando.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So you're a bigger magic fan than you are gator fan

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n196395 said:
So you're a bigger magic fan than you are gator fan

No. Sorry you can't handle the truth. ;)

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Since when has the Magic actually made good roster moves?

It looks to me like Billy might be a little burned out. He's been at this for a long time.Coach K and others have gone through burn out periods and come back with new perspective. Regardless of the situation (NBA or not), he needs to take some self inventory this offseason and make any personal adjustments like Coach K did in the past.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n196440 said:

It looks to me like Billy might be a little burned out. He's been at this for a long time.Coach K and others have gone through burn out periods and come back with new perspective. Regardless of the situation (NBA or not), he needs to take some self inventory this offseason and make any personal adjustments like Coach K did in the past.

And some of his players need to do the same. Do they really want to be Gators? Do they want to be basketball players at the college level? How much practice in the off season are they willing to put in? How many foul shots to become much better? Would some of them be happier someplace else? Dedicate yourself to your academics and your sport or else!!!

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Great point, Vulcan.

I believe too many players on this team's roster just expected success - without committing to what it took to get there like the past teams of late.

I also believe that Billy became frustrated with the team perhaps too early - and may have clocked out on trying to reach and develop them.

This is somewhat understandable on both parts given that last year's team had 4 seniors in the starting lineup - highly unusual in today's bball landscape. They had made the commitment that this year's squad could not relate.

Both Billy and the team need to step back, take a breath, and re-commit to achieving greatness.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n196440 said:

Since they hired Rob Hennigen, or however his last name is spelled.He's been getting rid of waste and reworking the payroll, while bringing in solid draft players and decent role guys until he can clear the payroll enough for a solid FA pick up.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n196360 said:
based on what? As it stands right now, they will be in pretty good position to grab another good/top player in the draft, and they will have tons of salary room to a quality FA, if they have a solid head coach, and have even more room going forward.

The current management is making all the right moves to set this team up for success, and still bringing in quality players...the puzzle just isn't complete yet.

Like I said, I look forward to Billy D spending his days in Orlando.

If you're right we're screwed. It's been a nice run. But Donovan type coaches don't grow on trees. What slam dunk coach wants to come in here and compete with the squid machine. Donovan, with the ability to identify and develop talent, and in most seasons get a team to work together may be not just rare but unique.

The thing is, as I describe who Donvovan is, I have to ask myself how does that fit with the NBA? Maybe in the jump to the pros he gives up too much of what makes him great.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gator1946;n196471 said:
If you're right we're screwed. It's been a nice run. But Donovan type coaches don't grow on trees. What slam dunk coach wants to come in here and compete with the squid machine. Donovan, with the ability to identify and develop talent, and in most seasons get a team to work together may be not just rare but unique.

The thing is, as I describe who Donvovan is, I have to ask myself how does that fit with the NBA? Maybe in the jump to the pros he gives up too much of what makes him great.

I'm totally winging it, mostly to get at t-gator :lol: however he did show a willingness to leave florida for orlando before, but of course backed out of it. So anything is possible I suppose.

I'm really not sure how his style translates to the pros, and I'm not sure it will, honestly.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I get it. The truth is we have no idea what he's thinking. He might be sick of fighting the Calipari machine, or he might look at it as a challenge. He might be tired of pulling rabbits out of his hat or he might be looking forward to another miracle season. He might really like the narrow focus of the NBA or he might be bluffing to keep his negotiating power. He might like the challenge of the "next" step, or he might figure, after the Orlando debacle, he's better suited for college.

We can guess, spin, or rationalize it any way we want. Only one guy knows what's going through his mind, and that would be Billy.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n196347 said:

Sad that you have resorted to trolling now.

GatorBenji

Sep 6, 2014
Lol Orlando isn't a job worth leaving for, it's a team filled with a bunch of okay players and Oladipo. And their shooting is horrendous. Thats a 2-3 year job right there. I think if Billy goes somewhere it's in a more proven situation

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBenji;n196728 said:
Lol Orlando isn't a job worth leaving for, it's a team filled with a bunch of okay players and Oladipo. And their shooting is horrendous. Thats a 2-3 year job right there. I think if Billy goes somewhere it's in a more proven situation

Yea, it's called clearing the salary cap of the garbage the previous regime left him with. Some of the worst contracts in the history of the league occurred under the previous regime.

They have more pieces there than they are given credit for, but I agree, it's probably a couple year job.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n196746 said:
Yea, it's called clearing the salary cap of the garbage the previous regime left him with. Some of the worst contracts in the history of the league occurred under the previous regime.

They have more pieces there than they are given credit for, but I agree, it's probably a couple year job.

Clearing the salary cap so they can go get some more over the hill veterans.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
With the NBA cap going through the roof a lot of teams will be able to keep their FA's. Orlando is a 2nd class citizen in the NBA. I doubt they get anyone to come there that will make a difference.

Even if they draft well - it is still a 2nd tier job. Billy will have a better offer. If he does leave it won't be for O-town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.