Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Alabama-Birmingham

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Franks is still a work in progress, not sure if he can get there or not but it wouldn't hurt if he had a decent core of receivers to throw the ball to. Would have been an interesting season if Callaway had been there.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Thanks C2!

I thought Thompson and Lemons were really hitting the gaps quick yesterday with faster acceleration than Lamical. Why we continue to try and run up the A gap on a stacked box......we seemed to have a few calls outside yesterday, but still no rhyme or reason as to the D set vs our play calling. I did see one pass on 2nd and ten! Franks started the game with nice touch and accuracy only to be rewarded by drop city from the receivers. Franks then seemed to regress into heat and late throws. On a few of his long balls he could use more heat and less trajectory, but all in all a good showing for him.

Massey had a good run early then, where did he go...

By and large, the D played really well. Our D line speed is not what I would like, but they maintained their gaps pretty good. Reese and the LBs made several good plays and even the DBs came up and layed some wood. Of course I think we had more TKO's against ourselves:(

A good Gator win that we needed!

Go Gators

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks, guys! About Franks... @FireFoley noted the pass at Powell's feet on the cross and others that were behind the receivers. I joked that maybe he wasn't a good Trigonometry student, where understanding vectors is concerned, but in reality it is probably indecisiveness or slow processing still. My experience with HS QBs is that if they are late making a decision, the throw is almost always where the receiver is at the moment of release and not where he's going to be as the route progresses. It's almost like a mental panic sets in and the throw is rarely precise. That can go back to the speed of processing, which has to start with a pre-snap read and diagnosis of the coverage vs. the routes. I agree that he was some better and has progressed even if it has been small steps. But he is still a ways from having command of a legitimate passing offense. It'll be interesting to see what he does with different coaching. Should answer questions about whether it is his acumen or poor prep that is the issue.

Agree with @G8trwood about Perine. He's ok when he gets past the DL and into space, but he's slow to accelerate. We miss Davis and I hope he heals well, but it was good to see Lemons have some good carries. Thompson looked like what we all wanted when he first got here. Too bad it's happening for him with likely only one game remaining. The young back's coming in should be able to compete for game snaps.

I have avoided the coaching search up until now, but I hope we can have things settled by the first of December at the latest. I'd rather it be a little lengthy and get the guy we need than the guys selecting succumb to the external pressure and grab another bad fit. It is high time for a new day to dawn and previous decade be laid to rest.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
*Didn't listen to the radio broadcast (probably should have), but in my mind, it should have sounded something like this: "Just north of the wind-swept plains of Payne's Prairie, the wounded juggernaut pillaged their visitors from the southern steel city. The Florida version of Revelation's "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" ('Pestilence, War, Famine, and Death') led the way, only their names were Powell, Lemons, Piniero, and Reece!" Unfortunately, Grantland Rice wasn't scripting the play-by-play, we aren't a NC contender, and our "Four Horsemen" are really Nussmeier ('Proceveration'), Nord ('Incompetence'), McElwain ('Hubris'), and Foley ('Arrogance'). And this latter group, arguably, caused more biblical disasters than the historic bunch.

Cover, the four horsemen metaphor is probably the best thing I've read in a long time. Seriously, that's really good writing.

A triple Dilly Dilly.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Thanks, guys! About Franks... @FireFoley noted the pass at Powell's feet on the cross and others that were behind the receivers. I joked that maybe he wasn't a good Trigonometry student, where understanding vectors is concerned, but in reality it is probably indecisiveness or slow processing still.

God knows if he has to do trig he'll never throw a pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator