Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Charleston Southern

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Fine analyses boys -- I'd fine y'all $400 oxbucks.:cool:
Even though it was like against some "practice squad" Gators performed in a "we mean business" manner. So much better than what we've had for 10 years.

Best points picked up:
1) Franks appears he can be developed into a 'gut genug' QB (good enough)
2) Well, mostly I saw in every unit, baby steps = unsure, ready for rapid advance
3) Play that the whole GatorNation can enjoy even during players' learning curve
4) Scoring abilities to spread around
5) Special teams developing intensified pride in their jobs (gonna pay dividends)
6) We gots an HC with full coach-crew that knows what prepping players means
7) Minimal injuries, minimal cramps ( I know = night game) but sweat they did
8) Damien Pierce seems to have the thigh-muscles to be our workhorse ?
9) Little need to fret about our kicking game
10) Best of all, advancing skills & player's know-how seem coachable

For sure there's lots more, and every bit of it proves that McElame gave UF saboteur-coaching ... despicable person. Let's go Gators !

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Shuler, 95, was the one who got run over on the big run. He was in position and got trucked. He also got blown up and pushed out of the hole on the TD we gave up. UK will take note.

As will our coaching staff, who does a better job of coaching will be the difference.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Need to add, we took our foot off the gas the 2nd half.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Scarlett definitely had some rust. Could have had a better day if he wasn't over thinking things and hesitating.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
So riddle me this, G-Lasses/Lads...when is the last time you watched our men hang a HAH Chain around the opposition's neck, blocked 2 kicks and gave up only a net 4-point TD, hmmm?

As for mine eyes to see such glory...such trifecta never envisioned or seen, potentially ever, again.

Game 1 of the DM OGGA Era3 was uniquely, uh, unique...

Book it and eyes forward to Kentucky....gonna watch their game today if I can...

For Sun Tzu be like: "If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles."

Agreed?

To drunk too decipher

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Remember, greatest improvement occurs between game 1 & 2. Now, coaches have actual films of each position on this team -- our players will listen with intent now. What didn't work effectively will be corrected ... or substitute one better. The real work begins now. Do we have the coach-staff to fulfill real team requirements?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One guy I forgot to mention that looked like the regime change and off season agreed with him was Swain. He looked so much quicker and confident. I think that represents the level of buy in from the team. For what Mullen is demanding. Still got a ways to go, but it appears to be better than what we've seen. Also, the receiving group appears to be as deep and talented with more weapons than we've had in quite some time. Now just continue getting the ball in their hands in space and let them do their thing.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well, Shyte on Shinola, Razor Sharp Swamp Sherlock...you got me :heehee:

Here's a rogriddle y'all heard before:

"Waft selfsame as a chrysalis emission, perforate with a drone-point." :cool:

Clear as a bell, eh ? Figure it out or I'll tell you later.

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
Just a few notes on the O:

Franks looked better last night than he’s looked against air. Some zip but, more touch and accuracy than I’ve ever seen from him. Didn’t know he had it in him. Perhaps that knee to the head early knocked the Mac outta him. Let’s see what happens when he gets knocked around a bit more. Accuracy & touch will disappear if he becomes skittish.

I like our new center. He isn’t as strong as he needs to be and it will show in future games. But, I really like his footwork. He engages, stays engaged, and keeps working until the whistle. Excellent effort overall.

Ivey’s footwork is terrible. Off balance all the time. He will be a liability this year unless he learns how to move. Effort subpar as well. Very disappointing.

Fred, Fred, Fred...low man wins and everyone gets under your pads. Quit leaning on everyone. Bend your knees, and bring you ass with you and dominate! Quit settling for a stalemate...and drive off the line!

Tyler, effort is there but, it is what it is. Expect the first replacement at LG.

JT, keep improving. Keep working. If your footwork and strength improve, you could be special.

DP looked like the best back & he was last night, simply because he lacked hesitation and ran determined. Bright future ahead.

JS actually picked up a blitz! He needs to remember he’s a punishing runner & not a MD.

WR, overall well done. First game, new system, lining up correctly & knowing the offense was huge. Good to get so many touches. Lots of easy catches...but cannot complain about 5 TD’s.

HB & TE, long way to go. But it’s only first game. Opportunities will come...take advantage.

Summary, we go as far as the Oline will allow. One breakdown can stop an entire series against better talent.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As always a great write-up.

The team physically dominated in most spots as they should against a lower level team like CSU.

The biggest issue as many have stated is the OL. I expected bigger holes and bigger gains, but the OL just seems to lack motivation. Hopefully game tape and coaching can improve that.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
"Defend the Swamp" hit the null on the head = the OL's footwork is easily defeatable. Got to emphasize fixing that.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
*I'd have to say I was pleased with Mullen's plan and execution for the opener.

*What has been gained in the S&C program with Savage was very evident to me.

*We looked to have some playmakers that want to step forward on D. Polite gave us a glimpse last year and he looks like he's ready to be the next big DE.

*McPherson looks like he will be a solid kicker.

*OL was good in pass pro, a little less blocking the run IMO.

*Last but not least, it was clear why Frank's was named the starter.

A lot to like for the beginning of the Dan Mullen era. Not quite ready to crown him king just yet,

1. The game plans were what I expected on both sides of the ball. The execution was lacking at OL maybe and at QB a bit in my view.

2. Gardner-Johnson was looked much more solid to me too. Overall the defense really looked good, though they did have one huge break down.

3. I was very pleased that both kickers, ie placekicker and punter both had first half opportunities so they are experienced for next week and beyond. I was quite pleased that the first field goal attempt was a very reasonable one.

4. With the OL it becomes a question of whether it was the OL or Scarlett. As I posted in the game thread, I think at the very least a guy suspended for the entire previous year because of his own actions should have had to come off the bench. Davis after a couple of runs gained nice yardage, then so did Perine, etc. Maybe it was fresh legs, but maybe it was the same old Scarlett.

5. I am not sure yet why Franks was named the starter. He ran from the pocket way to quickly at times in the first half. He has a great arm for the deep ball and for powering in short passes. Hopefully, with experience he will become more heady.

6. Like many I gave the performance last night a B in the poll. It was a nice effort. Everything seemed to run smoothly. We have seen this before so it will take the rest of the month to start to have a good read on the beginning of the Mullen era.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
6. Like many I gave the performance last night a B in the poll. It was a nice effort. Everything seemed to run smoothly. We have seen this before so it will take the rest of the month to start to have a good read on the beginning of the Mullen era.

Cant give them an A when the oline cant open run lanes against a patsy team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.