Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Georgia

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Didnt get back from Jacksonville until late, so I'm just now posting. But let me tell you, it was a beautiful day for the game and, as always, a win over the Mutts is a good one. Three straight now, so you've got to like that trend. This was my first trip since '94 and I was impressed with the stadium at Everbank Field, especially the two Jumbotrons, or whatever they're now called. Access to seating was pretty easy and the UGA "faithful" had little difficulty exiting after their first failed attempt at a 4th down conversion with a little better than 10 minutes remaining in the game.

Defense was the dominant feature and it was especially good to see our group do their part in limiting UGA to less than 200 yds of O. But they should have because this edition of the Dawgs was pretty toothless, despite a touted freshman QB and a back the caliber of Nick Chubb (who was far from his old self on this afternoon). The Georgia D was their dominant feature, keeping some pressure on LDR and making it difficult to run at times. But in the end, we were able to muster enough O to get the job done and put a bow on this gift of a game that at a glance might have looked a little more Dollar General than Goldman-Sachs. But again, glad to get it, especially over Georgia and since the Vols choked one away to Champ and the Cocks.

Here are a few more observations. Chime in if you please:
  • Hats off (or "Sidehats" off) to Collins and the D. They were, again, dominant even if it was against a poor Georgia bunch. Despite a few gaffs, they did what they were expected to do, holding UGA to a paltry yardage total, 0-2 on 4th down conversions, 4-14 on 3rd down conversions, Chubb 21 yards rushing on 19 attempts, Eason 143 yards passing and a TD on 15-33 attempts, and 10 points scored, all in the first half. Biggest concerns were losing contain with the pass rush frequently which allowed Eason to extend several pass plays, scoring their only TD and converting a long 3rd down (and barely missing another on an under throw) when coverage broke down. A better team would have made us pay for this, but luckily we might not see one until F$U.
  • Davis was a warrior. As good on one good leg than I've seen some on two. By his own admission, he was better in the 2nd half, but it was good to see him play through the sore ankle. But would you expect any less? He's a favorite and I'll hate to see him gone after this season.
  • Our Thorpe award guys were ok. Wilson had a few blown coverages that stood out and was burned on the Dawgs lone TD, so maybe he was a little less than ok? Tabor had a PBU and a sack and it seemed like Eason knew where he was and didn't really challenge him. Got to credit them and the rest of the secondary, as they held to only 143 passing. Still seeing some mistakes from Dawson and Harris. Past time for them to be moving past these.
  • OL was inconsistent, but I guess they did just enough to be a little better than the OL of Georgia. These are still two of the poorest units I've seen in a while in the SEC and I'm past ready to see better from us, but probably not this year. Huge recruiting need to once more overstate the obvious.
  • Thompson out on a dope thing and Cronkrite "off the team" while, as Mac says, he is trying to figure out if he still wants to play :facepalm:. I never cease to be amazed at both the stupidity and selfishness that seems to be constantly on display. Thank goodness we've had four RB's to this point and that Scarlett and Perine are the ones still standing. They ran hard, but didn't get a lot of help from the OL.
  • A tale of two jet sweeps (a little something for you X and O guys). UGA ran one that got stuffed. We ran one that Calloway scored on. The difference? A subtle missed blocking assignment by the Dawgs on theirs and a failure to adjust the LB's by them on ours. When we blew their sweep up, their TE arced to seal our play side backer, but his first move should have been to chip the DE, which he failed to do, allowing for an easy stop. On ours, the Dawg backers should have bumped over a gap with the motion but remained flat-footed and were thus outmanned at the POA. Result...easy TD for a guy who, as most heard, has now scored TD's for us five different ways.
  • The big head-scratcher yesterday was the play calling. Predictable (lot of throws on 1st down, maybe trying to be unpredictable?) and unimaginative. Lack of faith in our O (can be read as OL perhaps)? Still, we've got playmakers, Calloway and the young receivers, that we need to be finding more ways to get it in their hands. I'm wishing the best for Nuss and a marriage with SDSU. If that occurs, then we at least have a chance for upgrade. Luke was, well, Luke. He is a game manager at best and likely will continue in that role. A few good throws but not enough. His pick was a glaring mistake, throwing across his body while rolling right. At least it was against the hapless Dawgs and only led to a FG. This a position in need of a star, says me and many others for the 14,000th time these last few seasons.
  • Couple of funnies about USCe and Muschamp from some comments I read. First, Champ is undefeated against the Vols as a HC and he might finally have gotten the Gators to Atlanta again with his W yesterday!
  • In other rival news, F$U lost a see saw against Clemson at home. Listened to it on the radio while driving back and heard Nole color anal-yst, William Floyd blame the refs for "taking the game" from the Noles! Read this morning that Jimbo concurs. So I guess we can add their game to a long list of where they didn't actually lose, but got cheated. What a bunch of "Maroons," as Bugs Bunny would say! Noles gonna Nole.

Arkansas will be interesting on the road next week. Their strength against ours, rush against rush D. They haven't been as good of late as they were earlier in the season, but we'll still need a good performance from our D and, hopefully, a better one from the O. Atlanta is in the road ahead if we take care of business, playing like we want to get there and not running in the ditch.

Looking forward to your comments and as always, Go Gators :chomp:

Last edited:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Wilson had a few blown coverages that stood out and was burned on the Dawgs lone TD

Great analysis as usual Cover... thanks.
If I'm not mistaken, Wilson had fallen on the pass play and was trying to catch up to the receiver but was too late.

I was pleasantly surprised by the play of the OL (except Sharpe - that dude is a Snuffleupagus).

Otherwise - I think we played well enough to be confident going into Fayettville.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was just Uga and their OL isn't good, maybe as bad as ours, I know.

And yet, this was the best game for Joey Ivie and Brantley. It's very encouraging. I've always viewed Ivie as a journeyman, but he played well enough to catch my attention numerous times. Brantley has always been a stud but a guy who was very inconsistent. I saw none of that yesterday. They were pretty damn good inside and refused to let Ugly run.

Our ends looked great all night basically regardless of who was on the field.

I hope this is those guys all stepping up and getting confident with themselves and each other, and not just a reflection of a terrible Ugly OL.

I remember in 2006 noticing how Stephen Harris and some others (Ray Mac moved inside) stepped up when Marcus Thomas decided he didn't want to play. It reminds me of that, the final pieces that seem to be moving our defense from good to dominant.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Been waiting for your post all morning Cover. It never disappoints.

Agree with all that you stated on here. Glad it was a great day and atmosphere for you. I understand your take on the OL and agree to some point but I think they played decent. Not to mention I feel they are getting better ( very little by litte ) with each game. I'm going to have to give Kirby some props here. He's a D guy and he knows Mac and Nuss very well. Many people have not commented on that aspect of the game, Kirby, Nuss, and Mac. I think for what we did offensively against a Kirby D was admirable. Not all world, but they (OL) may have lost some battles but won the overall war.

Great stuff and looking forward to Arky.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oline and QB play better, and with our D (minus the DBU lapses), we are an upset away in the SECCG from going to the playoffs.

As bad as the team had been playing, it was probably our best all around performance since KY. All phases showed solid play.

It is nice that a head coach being paid by the UF this year is able to beat the vols. Butchy has never beaten the chump, what a legacy

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was just Uga and their OL isn't good, maybe as bad as ours, I know.

And yet, this was the best game for Joey Ivie and Brantley. It's very encouraging. I've always viewed Ivie as a journeyman, but he played well enough to catch my attention numerous times. Brantley has always been a stud but a guy who was very inconsistent. I saw none of that yesterday.

Our ends looked great all night basically regardless of who was on the field.

I hope this is those guys all stepping up and getting confident with themselves and each other, and not just a reflection of a terrible Ugly OL.

I remember in 2006 noticing how Stephen Harris and some others stepped up when Marcus Thomas decided he didn't want to play. It reminds me of that, the final pieces that seem to be moving our defense from good to dominant.
Most definitely, Law. Other than losing contain on Eason I agree with your reasoning and the caution of a bad UGA OL. Glad to see Ivie have a good outing and maybe this erases the image of his poor tackle attempt against the Vols that I have been hanging onto.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I looked for you yesterday but couldnt gain access to the bar in the skybox. I'm still trying to figure out what the fuk was up with the playcalling. We moved the ball ok on the ground and after Luke throwing the ball to their centerfielder, find ourselves with a first down on the 2. We piss that away with 3 straight passing attempts and wind up with zero points after a missed field goal by Little Eddy. Game should not have been this close. This to me was the biggest disappointment yesterday. The defense was sparkling. Davis was on fire, Brantley had a very solid game and they seemed to be running plays mostly away from Anzalone.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Damn beautiful day of football when we win, and UGA, FSU, Miami, and Tennessee all lose. Hasn't happened enough lately.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
1. The offense is predictable, but why. We all read the articles during the offseason of coaches speaking of how Mac and Nuss' playcalling had them confused. They couldn't figure them out. The most obvious being Freeze. Did Mac and Nuss suddenly become stupid or are they limited by their QB who looks more like a punter or kicker than an actual QB. This offense will be very different with Trask or Franks at QB.

2. Our o-line isn't good, but this is the second week in a row a head coach voiced his concerns with the size of our o-line. I thought they played well at times, really pushing uga's d-line. Smart was selling out to stop the run because no one fears our passing game. Nothing the o-line can do about that.

3. Cleveland is going to be a stud. I hope he keeps his nose clean. I think he'll be UF's first first round QB since Harvin.

4. Mac and co seemed to have hit on some 3 star ends.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Been waiting for your post all morning Cover. It never disappoints.

Agree with all that you stated on here. Glad it was a great day and atmosphere for you. I understand your take on the OL and agree to some point but I think they played decent. Not to mention I feel they are getting better ( very little by litte ) with each game. I'm going to have to give Kirby some props here. He's a D guy and he knows Mac and Nuss very well. Many people have not commented on that aspect of the game, Kirby, Nuss, and Mac. I think for what we did offensively against a Kirby D was admirable. Not all world, but they (OL) may have lost some battles but won the overall war.

Great stuff and looking forward to Arky.
Thanks TN. While the OL is still a concern, I think I can say, as you note, that there are some improvements even if we measure them with calipers and not a yard stick :). I agree with your assessment on Kirby and his being a D guy and familiar with Mac and Nuss. He's still learning the HBC role I think and a mistake I think he made that was counter intuitive to his being a D guy was going for it on 4th down with 10+ minutes left after his D stopped us the two previous series. This started the Dawg fan exodus and might have sent a message, intended or not, that he didn't think their D had another stop in them. I'm no Dawg fan by any means, but as many know Kirby's dad gave me my first job and Kirby was a player back then. I appreciate them both and will pull for him to succeed...in every game each year except one!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One comment about the atmosphere...being relatively unfamiliar with Jax and the area around the stadium c2 Jr and I parked north of it on Union. We walked through a lively crowd on the way in! Coming back, it was even livelier! We must have looked like the kids in Animal House when they went in the club to see Otis Day and the Nights! Everyone was happy though and despite a high law enforcement presence, there was equal aromas of barbecue and the Jacksonville Green wafting through the air. I saw a guy in the crowd with a sombrero that I thought might have been Bart, but didn't get a chance to stop and ask :).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
One comment about the atmosphere...being relatively unfamiliar with Jax and the area around the stadium c2 Jr and I parked north of it on Union. We walked through a lively crowd on the way in! Coming back, it was even livelier! We must have looked like the kids in Animal House when they went in the club to see Otis Day and the Nights! Everyone was happy though and despite a high law enforcement presence, there was equal aromas of barbecue and the Jacksonville Green wafting through the air. I saw a guy in the crowd with a sombrero that I thought might have been Bart, but didn't get a chance to stop and ask :).

Best weekend of the year in Jacksonville, FL.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I looked for you yesterday but couldnt gain access to the bar in the skybox. I'm still trying to figure out what the fuk was up with the playcalling. We moved the ball ok on the ground and after Luke throwing the ball to their centerfielder, find ourselves with a first down on the 2. We piss that away with 3 straight passing attempts and wind up with zero points after a missed field goal by Little Eddy. Game should not have been this close. This to me was the biggest disappointment yesterday. The defense was sparkling. Davis was on fire, Brantley had a very solid game and they seemed to be running plays mostly away from Anzalone.
Tickets were on the Dawg side, but they were compliments of an old and good friend (and staunch Gator alum). Had I known you were there and looking to imbibe, you could have joined us at the truck pre and post game to polish off the Funky Buddha Floridian I stumbled upon at ABC in Tallahassee on the way down. Otherwise, I certainly agree with your commentary on the play calls. Indeed, the game shouldn't have been this close.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
giphy.gif

Good post, as usual, Cover. The play calling may be informed by the old maxim that discretion is the better part of valor. And it may be forgotten that this is a retooled offense since Mac was left scrambling after the Grier debacle. Along those lines, the OL is a work in progress. Based on an optimistic appraisal of the depth chart http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/florida/90498 things should be on better footing next year.

Last edited:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
C2, enjoy your insight.

I thought Dawson had a couple of good, key pass break-ups.

LDR played like a QB with limited skills and only 2 SEC home game starts under his belt. I'm not confident he'll play well in his first start in a hostile environment at Arkansas.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
C2, enjoy your insight.

I thought Dawson had a couple of good, key pass break-ups.

LDR played like a QB with limited skills and only 2 SEC home game starts under his belt. I'm not confident he'll play well in his first start in a hostile environment at Arkansas.

TE Cyontai Lewis showed signs of starpower?? Why wasn't Cleveland hit more ?
Thanks guys. Lake, you are right about Duke and I should have praised him while I fussed about his blow on the long 3rd conversion. He plays with a lot of heart I think.

Rog, good shot on Lewis. He made a spectacular catch on the sideline that I meant to mention and made a good grab for the TD. Stepping up while Goolsby was injured. Good for him and us.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Thanx C2, but I also mentioned in the game thread yesterday about the play calling about 1000 times. It has become beyond laughable. yes the O-line blows and our Rb's have zero vision, but the sequencing of plays, the non understanding of risk/reward, the non understanding of game management is no longer astounding. It just shows that Butters is Stupid. No other way around it. When are we going to use a RB as a primary receiver isolated against a LB? Answer: NEVER. Sure they are used as outlets or on screens but I am talking about as a primary? I see it weekly from other teams and it is a weapon. But not for the Oand B. Do we have a FB? Watching Lewis get blown up as a lead blocker on a power run was just laughable. We have 2 TE's that can't play attached to the line. We have 2 TE's that can play attached but obviously are not receivers. Thus we have no TE's. What the hell is going on? the saddest thing is that whether we play weekly, or have time off to practice (as we have recently), the basic fundamentals and Butters seem to get worse if that is possible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.