Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Georgia

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Cover, good stuff as usual.

What is your assessment of the impact of Geoff Collins departure...if any? He was criticized by a number of Gator fans but the defense is clearly not as good this year.
Is that player loss only or lack of depth or is the coordinator change a part of the problem too?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's time to hand the keys to Allen and Corral and let them battle it out in the spring . Franks time and time again makes the same
Mistakes and isn't learning from them. He just doesn't see things the way good QBs
do . The 4th down play where he had Cleveland open for the first and threw into the end zone is a fine example . Outside of one deep ball to swain I can't recall another deep throw .

This was as ugly a performance I've seen from a gator football team. It's clear as day this man knows he is done . Zaire needs his chance to lead us to bowl eligibility under Randy. As far as I'm concerned franks can go with Mac. He's even more hopeless than driskel .

Now onto to the bright spots. Perine ran hard and we know we have a good one in Davis . I liked what I saw from lemons running hard late as well. Brad Stewart #2 looks to be our next great safety . He needs to start moving forward . I've had it with bozo Chauncey running his mouth . I cringe every time these clowns talk to the media. All they prove is a lack of leadership.
No doubt we'll have to have better QB play moving forward. Despite Danielson's comment, I can't fault Franks' throw to Goolsby. It was on the money, but dropped. Sure, it would have been wiped out by the ticky-tack OPI call, but the QB didn't know that when he let it go. Was actually one of his better throws, I thought. Still, just one throw. We need better.

Agreed about the backs, though it seems like Davis disappeared in the second half. Injured? Hope not. Lemons had a decent day. Seems to have no fear.

C2, I need to know it's definitely over....please start referring to the man as "Butters"!! PLEASE! Then I'll know!
"Butters!" Seriously, when I wrote him off, I started calling him McElwain and not Mac. "Dufus" is an appropriate nick as well.

@G8trwood mentioned us being "outsmarted" as one of many failings today. That would make a good headline. "Out-SMART-ed!"

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No doubt we'll have to have better QB play moving forward. Despite Danielson's comment, I can't fault Franks' throw to Goolsby. It was on the money, but dropped. Sure, it would have been wiped out by the ticky-tack OPI call, but the QB didn't know that when he let it go. Was actually one of his better throws, I thought. Still, just one throw. We need better.

Agreed about the backs, though it seems like Davis disappeared in the second half. Injured? Hope not. Lemons had a decent day. Seems to have no fear.

"Butters!" Seriously, when I wrote him off, I started calling him McElwain and not Mac. "Dufus" is an appropriate nick as well.

@G8trwood mentioned us being "outsmarted" as one of many failings today. That would make a good headline. "Out-SMART-ed!"

Just one example of many my friend . Multiple fumbles in this one , jittery feet even in a clean pocket , dreadful decision after dreadful decision . Only so many excuses can be made for a QB before one just has to say , the joker just doesn't have it . Add to the fact the guys don't play well around him and we have relentless mental mistakes such as false starts. Franks doesn't deserve to be the QB at Florida

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, good stuff as usual.

What is your assessment of the impact of Geoff Collins departure...if any? He was criticized by a number of Gator fans but the defense is clearly not as good this year.
Is that player loss only or lack of depth or is the coordinator change a part of the problem too?
I believe that Collins' departure probably looks worse on the surface than it really is. Shannon is a little too vanilla and probably tries a little too much zone at times for where our secondary is in terms of fundamental skills and football knowledge for me, but what he tries is not necessarily unsound in my view. Biggest thing he has to own as far as I'm concerned is the lack of appreciable improvement with the secondary group (and arguably the LBs, though they are a skeleton crew and lack talented bodies) from the season's start until now. Youth quits being a viable excuse about midway. Also, we seemed to regress in the missed tackle department.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Compared to last year's WLOCP, plain to see that the defense has regressed dramatically. Add that fact to the continuing O issues, and it's depressing.

Specifically, I think the Franks experiment is over. He is horrible in this offense. Also, how Goolsby gets on the field is beyond me, worst blocker at the TE position.....

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just one example of many my friend . Multiple fumbles in this one , jittery feet even in a clean pocket , dreadful decision after dreadful decision . Only so many excuses can be made for a QB before one just has to say , the joker just doesn't have it . Add to the fact the guys don't play well around him and we have relentless mental mistakes such as false starts. Franks doesn't deserve to be the QB at Florida
You're likely right where Franks is concerned. $100 arm and a .10 head won't get you far under center. I don't have anything to validate, but I just get the feeling there's a coaching factor in this equation somewhere. Probably be a moot point soon.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I am all in on Scott Frost but after watching the tackling the last 8 years, we need Charlie Strong. Our DBs have not tackled since he left.
Naaa, Frost knows how to coach up a defense. He was a pretty elite DC in a past position. But it's going to take a couple recruiting cycles to rebuild the defense. Not enough talent there currently, but a strong class could get things back on track pretty quickly.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Did anyone mention the receivers dropping the ball so many times?

One positive thought: the Gators have a real chance to beat FSU this year!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I believe that Collins' departure probably looks worse on the surface than it really is. Shannon is a little too vanilla and probably tries a little too much zone at times for where our secondary is in terms of fundamental skills and football knowledge for me, but what he tries is not necessarily unsound in my view.
If you play man with these LBs an OC would be silly to do anything other than throw to the backs and TEs until you switched back. Our LBs are trash.

I agree completely that the drop off would be probably about the same with Sidehat still here. Our primary problem is lack of talent due to graduated players and piss poor recruiting, not scheme.

Shannon does some things that irritate me, like showing coverages when i think we could disguise more, but i think that is also a matter of ensuring the five freshmen know what the hell they are doing.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, the off-season hype on the receivers corp has been a real disappointment... save any 'and yets' about the juvenile delinquent Calloway. The drop balls from guys who are slotted for the tight, quick chain movers make me yawn watching them. It was interesting again hearing Gary Danielson reiterate our routes are badly designed for the in game circumstances. My eyes see some opens with Franks always thinking it's a home run moment, but mostly I see receivers practicing ball room dancing instead of catch me if you can.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Congratulations Felipe. You are at the top of the Delta pledge class.
Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life.

Yeah, poor Felipe should probably give up on quarterbacking the Gators and have a seat over there with Mohammed, Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton.

6a019aff1c6526970c01a5117fe932970c-pi

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: This has been one entertaining year so far, at least for message board posters.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Yeah, the off-season hype on the receivers corp has been a real disappointment... save any 'and yets' about the juvenile delinquent Calloway. The drop balls from guys who are slotted for the tight, quick chain movers make me yawn watching them. It was interesting again hearing Gary Danielson reiterate our routes are badly designed for the in game circumstances. My eyes see some opens with Franks always thinking it's a home run moment, but mostly I see receivers practicing ball room dancing instead of catch me if you can.

And if a reporter can see this in the game surely coaches should in practice and correct it.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you play man with these LBs an OC would be silly to do anything other than throw to the backs and TEs until you switched back. Our LBs are trash.

I agree completely that the drop off would be probably about the same with Sidehat still here. Our primary problem is lack of talent due to graduated players and piss poor recruiting, not scheme.

Shannon does some things that irritate me, like showing coverages when i think we could disguise more, but i think that is also a matter of ensuring the five freshmen know what the hell they are doing.
Right on about our LBs in coverage. Reece illustrated that point on the long screen to #7 early on. Late to the dance and undercut the route to boot. Killer.

And if a reporter can see this in the game surely coaches should in practice and correct it.
YES! For heaven's sake, yes!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
C2, before I read your eloquent post, how in the HECK were you able to get more than 15 words out to describe this travesty, LOL. good on you. Now get those coaching shorts out of storage and sharpen that whistle. Duty calls.
As the guy in Doyle's band said in Sling Blade..."I'm a wordsmith!" And I hadn't started drinking. Hey, I told you in another thread that I'm ready!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
WHat is more important in the next regime...........ties to UF? GReat recruiters? Good fundamental coaching? No dental or body defects to illicit insults.........the ability to never use "and yet".............or all of the above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb