Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's safe to say that we held our part in validating the coaching cliche that a teams shows their greatest improvement between Games 1and 2. Of course, the season is still young and whether this will be the greatest improvement during the season remains to be seen. As long as we don't nose dive at the end like last year, I'll be good with something getting a little better each week. This piece comes from my fragmented watching/listening. Played golf in a fund raising tournament for c2 Jrs' baseball team and we tuned in to most of the first half on his phone during the round. Watched until midway through the 3rd quarter in the clubhouse and then the 4th quarter in a little sports bar over wings and beer. Did get to hear Mac's post-game on the radio. So, here goes:

*I think the OL was some better, particularly with the change at RT. Mac said that the big guy had an injury (ankle maybe?) and wanted to try and tough it out, but after a couple of misses, he was replaced. We rushed for 244 I think and the OL has to get some credit. I think pass pro was okay from what I saw. I'm still left with the feeling that they still have a long way to go and a short time to get there. I think they'll get a big test when we invade Neyland. Their play in that game may well be the biggest factor in whether or not we take home the W and extend that streak.

*And speaking of streaks, good to see us extend the one with UK to 30 with a convincing 45-7 win. The biggest question, maybe, is were we that good today or is UK just that bad? I'd say we were at least much better than last week, but UK wasn't very good. Of course, it was a conference and division win, so you can't discount the importance of that. I won't say I felt sorry for Stoops, but the guy was toting a whipped ass at halftime. We think Mac has work to do. Stoops has a mountain to move. We'll see what he's got in the coming weeks.

*First unit D obviously played pretty salty. Standouts that I could see were the secondary, Anzalone, Sherit and the DL. Probably more, but this is what I could gather. Any time you can limit a conference opponent to less than 150 total offense (I think I'm correct on this) and their starting QB to 2 completions and 10 yds, you're doing a lot of things right. I kind of called out Collins and the D staff last week. Not that they heard me in particular, but they got that message and responded. The first liners played with both fire and discipline. There were a couple of dumb penalties, but nothing like last week. Hats off to this bunch.

*Saw some good and bad from the D youngsters. Some good LB play. Kid from Michigan has some sting to his hits and the kid that was moved from Safety looks like he will be a contributor. Save a cover blow by Gardner (I think) young secondary was ok, but still has some work.

*Tabor may be either weird, crazy, or both, but that little turd can play football! Mac spoke to his film work and how that allowed him to diagnose the formation and play on his pick. If he can ever grow up and get off mom's ninny, his upside is big.

*How 'bout Luke? I'm not nominating him for Heisman, but the guy stepped a little beyond game manager today IMO. Showed he can throw over the top and went for over 300. Like most of the team, he still has work to do, but again, he made some positive strides. I'm feeling better about his play and leadership.

*We've got four backs that can produce. They answered some questions today and I maintain that having them will be important down the road when they get nicked up later on, hopefully not all at once. Perine really looked good going over 100. Best RB in the state of AL and we swiped him from Nick, who I believe thought he had him in his pocket all along and would grab him up in the waning moments of the recruiting cycle. At least that's one victory over him. More to come?

*Eddie's balloon finally popped, or at least shrunk a little, with the missed FG and the KO out of bounds. Truthfully, he needed to miss one and see how he'd handle it. As good as he is, you had to wonder since this is all new to him. I think it's safe to say that he responded like we wanted him to. I think as most do that we've got a good one.

*Callaway is the real deal. Hopefully he learned a lot from the mess he got in and will continue to grow not only as a player but as a citizen as well. He's the star, but how can you not pull for Powell, too? Kid gives you 100% and as far as I can recall keeps his nose clean. The receivers as a whole (including TEs) had a pretty decent day. LDR spread it around pretty well.

*Call this cover2's b!tch, but I'm sick of replays that take 10 minutes (or more) to determine the change or affirmation and the ensuing politicking by the announcers. This ******** takes away from the flow of the game and depending on who is in the booth, they can f*ck it up as often as they get it right.

I'm happy with the outcome, the streak and better play. I think Mac answered some questions this week, not all of them for sure, but he had the kids ready to play. I also liked what he had to say in his post-game presser, especially that he didn't have a lot of his catch phrase go-tos and didn't seem to try and avoid anything in particular. We'll see if this is a trend when we come out of a dog fight and the questions are tougher! I look forward to your comments and additions. As always, Go Gators!

*Edit* Should have said "who is in the replay booth" in my rant. Sorry.

Last edited:

ChompTown

G8R B8
Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2015
Agreed especially with the replays....Was at the game and those long replays totally kill the atmosphere. Call a spade a spade.....and move on

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good take cover2.

GatorSteve

Founding Member
Lounge Lizard
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I wanted to throw a bottle at Gary Danielson after his multiple attempts to become a replay official but I would busted my TV. The crap after Brandon Powell's catch was awful. I remember Verne and Gary pumping up Patrick Towles a few years ago. You would have thought that the kid was some sort of emerging legend by their banter back and forth during our game. I am so sick of Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson. Seriously, I have never met anyone who like their commentary. Are they calling the game next week?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Overall real good offensive production but surprised our RBs only averaged 5 yards a carry against that terrible front 7 of KY.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Note to Del Rio: When two or more defenders are hanging all over your receiver, throw somewhere else. Otherwise damned nice game.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
LDR still has room to grow. He missed a couple of open receivers down field, but I'm pleased with the QB play.

I'm seeing a little salty words from you c2. That's a new look for you.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wanted to throw a bottle at Gary Danielson after his multiple attempts to become a replay official but I would busted my TV. The crap after Brandon Powell's catch was awful. I remember Verne and Gary pumping up Patrick Towles a few years ago. You would have thought that the kid was some sort of emerging legend by their banter back and forth during our game. I am so sick of Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson. Seriously, I have never met anyone who like their commentary. Are they calling the game next week?
Danielson is the best in the business. No other analyst puts enough game prep to actually call the plays just by formation, as he often does and did tonight on the Callaway TD pass.

Verne is of course a drunken waste of air time.

But you have to remember that they get paid by the network and part of the job is pimping games for the network. Another part is filling airtime. Do you think they like trying to talk through an instant replay review? Do you want elevator music instead? He is just filling time dude.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Replays combined with cramps and injuries stagnated our offense multiple times. Del Rio got visibly frustrated and darted one into the ending for a TD after multiple official delays. 3.5 hours is a long time for a game.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just love it when people get all butt hurt over some perceived slight by the announcers. Gary Danielson doesn't give a single rat's ass which team wins, he's just calling it like he sees it. Good lord.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Eddy missed two field goals. Pee-rine is obviously a talented back but he did get most of his yards in the 4th when the game was over. The screen game is much improved this year, I think screen passes if done correctly are some of the hardest plays for college players to defense. The screen to Pee-rine was tossed out there with perfect touch by LDR. Quite frankly our corners are sick...both of their INTs were incredible. These weren't errant passes floating around...awesome athleticism to pull those in. LDR had a ton of time and big pocket most of the day which was great to see. And finally, I still have no idea why we let so many punts land on the ground and roll 20 yards in the wrong direction.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Danielson is the best in the business. No other analyst puts enough game prep to actually call the plays just by formation, as he often does and did tonight on the Callaway TD pass.

Verne is of course a drunken waste of air time.

But you have to remember that they get paid by the network and part of the job is pimping games for the network. Another part is filling airtime. Do you think they like trying to talk through an instant replay review? Do you want elevator music instead? He is just filling time dude.

Agree about Danielson. Have never seen a color guy flat out call the plays in advance like he does. So many of the color guys just throw out a lot of platitudes and really say nothing.

Poor Verne is just occupying space. Kind of like an aging Keith Jackson or Pat Summeral. Verne calls about half the players wrong. He even called an obvious Del Rio QB sneak as one of the Running backs. He questioned whether a screen type pass that went forward about 3 yards was actually a lateral.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Verne polished off a 1.75 of Jack Daniels today, fyi!

Nice stuff C2. Eddie missed 2 FG's today, the 2nd was rushed a bit and was out of sync (not necessarily his fault, as it was ugly...the whole play). His first miss was just off a bit. We have a good kicker and he now has something to work on in practice.

LDR played great. I'd like to see his completion percentage improve, but that's just nickel and diming on my part (he plays like that vs. UT, LSU, UGA, etc and we likely win).

There were at least 3 personal fouls (hands to the face - CeCe, Unsportsman - Sherit (which was ticky-tack by the refs), and Dawson's). Those need to stop. And there were a few other bigger one's (block's in the back).

Only 4 WR's caught a ball today (Calloway, Powell, Worton, and Swain). Where was Cleveland?

Overall, a great game. Nice to see us kick the sh*t out of a team we're supposed to kick the sh*t out of!!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Two things...
1) we held them to SEVENTY NINE yards until we put in the full spread of back ups and they burned us for one play... SEVENTY NINE YARDS
2) Eddie's KO out of bounds was when he was backed up 15 for the PF on the previous play

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Oh, and LDR needs to just throw to the spot... It was clear from Section 31 Row 80 that he's still waiting for someone to be open then throwing as opposed to letting it fly and knowing they'll get there.., especially evident when he throws into double coverage. It was also obvious today that Callaway got that TD because he ran his a$$ off this week and caught the ball as opposed to last week when he ran, but not like today

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Verne polished off a 1.75 of Jack Daniels today, fyi!

Nice stuff C2. Eddie missed 2 FG's today, the 2nd was rushed a bit and was out of sync (not necessarily his fault, as it was ugly...the whole play). His first miss was just off a bit. We have a good kicker and he now has something to work on in practice.

LDR played great. I'd like to see his completion percentage improve, but that's just nickel and diming on my part (he plays like that vs. UT, LSU, UGA, etc and we likely win).

There were at least 3 personal fouls (hands to the face - CeCe, Unsportsman - Sherit (which was ticky-tack by the refs), and Dawson's). Those need to stop. And there were a few other bigger one's (block's in the back).

Only 4 WR's caught a ball today (Calloway, Powell, Worton, and Swain). Where was Cleveland?

Overall, a great game. Nice to see us kick the sh*t out of a team we're supposed to kick the sh*t out of!!
The two blocks in the back were completely unnecessary

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think they'll get a big test when we invade Neyland. Their play in that game may well be the biggest factor in whether or not we take home the W and extend that streak.
Tennessee's DL is supposed to be one of the best. I'm not talking about the over hype, but their depth. They took it to VaTech tonight and I can see them giving our OL a real problem, especially with our lack of depth.

The biggest question, maybe, is were we that good today or is UK just that bad? I'd say we were at least much better than last week, but UK wasn't very good.
This game reminded me of Ole Miss last year. From the very first snap, they never stood a chance. Completely overwhelmed and out match at every single phase making the game one sided. I'm not saying UK is as good as Ole Miss was last year, just very similar outcome. It's what the Swamp used to do to every team who entered.

*How 'bout Luke? I'm not nominating him for Heisman, but the guy stepped a little beyond game manager today IMO. Showed he can throw over the top and went for over 300. Like most of the team, he still has work to do, but again, he made some positive strides. I'm feeling better about his play and leadership.
Much improved and did what he needed to do. Build his confidence and the team's confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.