Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good grief! Great win, but my old ticker might not make it through too many more like this! Lot to digest after this one. Streak stays alive. 31 straight and counting. I still have questions concerning coaching decisions, but so far, Mac has come out on top. As much as I've fussed, I have to state he's not the worst in the SEC. There's two I know of that are beneath him! Stoops...24-14 lead in the third and he starts playing not to lose.
Ironically, I mentioned the Choke at Doak and Spurrier's admission that going to a prevent too early prevented them from winning. While UK didn't exactly go into a prevent, they failed to continue bringing an extra rusher to put pressure on LDR. The guy's got a noodle and is not really mobile...the cook book says bring the heat. I could have sworn Shannon was calling both D's in the second half. I could go on, but let's get into some specifics:

*We have a feature back that has emerged. Malik Davis is now the guy. He hits the hole faster than his group mates. He runs with a lot of vision and effort. His 3rd down run where he spun out of a tackle and made the first was a testament to his desire. Very pleased to see him doing what he's doing. Safe to say he also was able to turn the page on his fumble. Good sign.

*I believe the OL had a much better game, especially with run blocking. We still missed a few blocks (Fred Johnson let a guy go on a play to Davis who made the stop on what would have been a big gain). But we made some big ones (Fred Johnson made a big one to clear the way on Toney's scoring run; from jachass to thoroughbred :)). Effort across the front looked a lot better on the first view. Got to take this as a positive.

*Speaking of Toney, is the kid not a player? Great with the ball in his hands in space, can catch and his Wildcat play was outstanding. Now we know he can throw it to boot. All he needs is more touches. What happened to him at the end of the game? Was he hurt? Sure thought we'd see the ball in his hands some way. Glad we didn't need it.

*Give Brandon Powell some props. The kid always gives you a great effort. Tonight, he made several great plays. Take away his OB on his wheel route and he might be our POTG. He's also obviously a great kid. Glad to see him make some really good things happen. And did you see his catch on the back foot ballon from LDR?!

*I didn't think Frank's was bad enough to get yanked. My opinion, but what do I know. The commentators said the change was to give us a spark. I say debatable at best. But we win with LDR in there and I've got to give him credit on the scramble and dump to Thompson for the first down. Even threw across his body back to the middle of the field. Better play than his TD toss to an uncovered Swain. Still...

*DL got some better after getting pushed around early. Got some sacks, put on a little pressure. Polite played hard and made some plays, as did Zuniga, though his roughing call could have been fatal. Thinking experience should eventually cure mistakes like this.

*LBs are a weak spot. Part of it is youth, part lack of depth. Joseph gets lost in his assignments too often. One glaring example was the 30 screen pass play in their first series, Vosean was flat footed 2 yards from the LOS. A LB has got to know that on the initial pass drop by the QB, he's got to start dropping into his coverage. He then should read and react to the extra drop (screen giveaway) and reverse his drop to move back toward the LOS, looking for both the receivers and blockers. Something is not connecting. I won't, however, fault him for the targeting, as he was on the move trying to make a play. That's gonna happen from time to time. Reese is our best backer, but he, too, is still learning the college game. This position can't go another year unattended in recruiting and to a lesser extent development.

*Contrary to claims, I don't think we are DBU, at least not this year. We get lost in coverage too easily. Washington and Duke were spotlighted. UK QB was good, but we helped him out. We had a cover blow on thevTE's TD, but the safety stood like a statue and let the guy run to him and then over him for the score. We look like Ned and the Third Reader about every time we play zone. But we were some better in the last series...and we've got a lot of babies cutting their teeth. Get better with time, I'm sure. Hopefully before we play a better team or one with a better coach!

*Shannon continues to perplex with his reluctance to put pressure on the QB via the blitz. To be fair, we got some pressure from the front, but we could still use some extra pressure. Last passing situation of the game they need 10 yards for sure to definitely get into the kicker's effective range. Send some heat, make him throw it before he wants to, likely to a short route. We don't and thankfully they opt for a short sideline route outside the kicker's range. Saved by Stoops?

*Stoops...on top of playing not to lose and letting us hang around, our TD passes were to UNCOVERED WRs! WTH! Big Game Bob...move over. Your replacement is here. SMH.

*Our Special teams continue to be not so special outside of Townsend. Can't say Eddy this week after his opening KO goes out of bounds. Punt Cover continues to be a disaster. Townsend gives us a 56 yard punt from a hole and we fail to cover and the completely flip the field. Inexcusable. Who coaches them again?!

*Second and long, we will always run it. We are WR Screen U offensively. But the QBs were at least looking downfield midfield some more than usual, but seemingly no open receivers the majority of the time. Poor design or can we just not get open consistently?

*Now, what you've been waiting for. I truly believe Mac panicked and was rewarded for it. Again, I don't think Frank's deserved to be yanked. Spark or not, believe what you like, but IMO Stoops delivered. We had guys who kept plowing and that can't be overlooked, but Stoops gave us the opportunity that we took advantage of. That can't be overlooked either. Still, Mac is 2-0 in the conference. Commentators said it best...we are an imperfect team with a perfect record in SEC play. Luck has been with us. Mac, keep sh!ttin' horseshoes, brother. If you don't, I'm afraid we'll hit the ditch eventually if we keep making the same mistakes, especially defensively and on Special Teams. Not wishing for it by any means, but my eyes and what I've seen in many years of football makes me believe what I say in that regard.

Next week, Vandy at home. They got trounced by Bama, but who really thought they were going to slay the giant? We should handle them at home. 3-0 SEC would be a good place to be. It's out there for the taking. Let's have a down to business performance. Less mistakes, especially on D (forgot to mention that we missed a lot of tackles once again). Continued improvement on O, particularly with the OL and passing game. Don't think Vandy's guy gives us two free ones. I'll wait all week wondering who the QB will be :scratchchin:...or will I? :sadnanner:

Better start than I thought to this point. Onward and upward. Go Gators!

:chomp:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well:

1. I thought Franks was leaving the pocket too early again and yanking him was the right call.

2. I also think that against weak armed QB you want the extra DB, rather than an extra pass rusher. The weak armed guy has trouble getting the ball to a receiver with DBs around so you want more DBs.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Well:

1. I thought Franks was leaving the pocket too early again and yanking him was the right call.

2. I also think that against weak armed QB you want the extra DB, rather than an extra pass rusher. The weak armed guy has trouble getting the ball to a receiver with DBs around so you want more DBs.
giphy.gif

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm still scratching my head too, but I'll take the win.

Not too upset on the decision to pull Franks. We needed something and it was BARELY enough. For the life of me I can't understand why if Franks is the guy, you don't let him loose. So it tells me they don't trust him, so how can he be "the guy"?? Honestly, the guy is Corral.

I've said for a while that I thought UF could run the ball better than what we've shown. And yes, Davis is the one for now. But I think its the run game will be the only thing to help this offense for now until Nuss is gone. If it is LDR going forward there has to be a run game, without it, we're sunk. Also, I'm not sure that Nuss being up top is a bad idea. At least he's off the field.

Have to agree with all that you said, Cover. I'll take it and move on to the next one. But I think I'll need a visit to the Cardiologist this week.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know people keep saying 7-5. But who are we going to lose to? Our schedule suuuuuuucks.

Rest of schedule:

Vandy
LSU
A&M
Georgia
Missouri
USCe
UAB
FSU

Vandy is Vandy. LSU is horrid under Ogre. A&M has a lame duck coach. Georgia might beat our brakes off - but it's Jawga, so...Missouri is hot garbage. USCe is terrible. UAB - is that even an FBS team? FSU hasn't won this year yet - Lost QB for year.

This staff sucks but doesn't lose games it shouldn't like Chump did.

We'll then enter the SECCG and lose by 50.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I side with pulling Franks. Without knowing the specific plays called and how he executed them, Franks seemed a little wide eyed and unable to do the little things like get his line in order, communicating with the WR etc that ultimately influence the performance of the whole offense. Starting the second half where we went 3 and out and Kentucky scored 10 points, I felt his performance was poor enough that you needed to make the switch before things got worse. I believe Franks starts against Vandy and then see how he does.

Coach, I am surprised that you pull the luck card?! An old coach like you, I am sure you have used the Luck is where preparation meets opportunity line before with your players. Luck is the coin flip, luck is the direction a fumbled ball bounces when it hits the ground. Luck is not one coach calling a particular play and another calling a play that players successfully execute. Mac deserves whatever feeble credit for the win (I know you essentially said that) without the qualifier of he won with luck.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know people keep saying 7-5. But who are we going to lose to? Our schedule suuuuuuucks.

Rest of schedule:

Vandy
LSU
A&M
Georgia
Missouri
USCe
UAB
FSU

Vandy is Vandy. LSU is horrid under Ogre. A&M has a lame duck coach. Georgia might beat our brakes off - but it's Jawga, so...Missouri is hot garbage. USCe is terrible. UAB - is that even an FBS team? FSU hasn't won this year yet - Lost QB for year.

This has to be our weakest schedule in 50 years.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I don't understand how the line and the call playing changed with LDR, I really believe he is going to start until he messes up. Again we did not deserve to win but yet we still did.

On punt returns we have no lead blocker, back in the day our FB took out at least one cover guy. Also our punt cover team lacks a lot.

On to Vandy!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone on the schedule except Vandy and UAB, are tougher than Kintucky.

This staff sucks but doesno't lose games it shouldn't like Chump did.
Arky and Tinerc say hello. Plus there are no games UF is supposed to lose.

The mindset that we aresupposed to lose all those blowouts makes me want to go postal on people.

You cant win with a total absence of offense. Last second bombs and defenses who forget to play a corner back notwithstanding.

The bad news is we are only thru game three, with two cupcakes down. Only two or three more more on the schedule and we are obviously a coinflip vs cupcakes.

The other bad news is our defense is paper thin. Once the injuries start mounting, it will get Ga Sothern ugly with walkons and true freshmen everywhere.

Last edited:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I really think the difference with LDR is his ability to call or change protections at the LOS. Just not sure Franks is there yet, or will ever be. Hope so... he's got a hell of an arm. I truly believe that this was a case of the lesser physical talent overtaking the situation based on knowledge and experience alone.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1. Toney

2. Davis

3. Cleveland

Get them the ball more
This has become a habit also.
We have a staff that doesnt know its 3rd string center Mccoy is our best OL. Or 3rd stri g RB an d WR are our best playmakers.

This has been a sustained problem. Coaches choosing likeable kids, or kids who look better wearing pads than the ones who are clearly better players.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Once again the Gators took the field looking unprepared against a fired-up, wild-eyed Kentucky team that has had enough of this 30-loss in a row BS. For awhile it looked like a blowout was likely. But we just kept hanging around and scoring catch-up points to tie, so at least we're good enough to do that... against Kentucky. I thought Franks would set a tone at the beginning of the 2nd half and unfortunately he did, throwing into the dirt while still having some time to throw. I think the kid for some reason lost confidence... at halftime? So I was OK with LDR coming in, and give him some credit he managed the game to a big win in the 14-point 4th quarter. Our LB's suck, our DB's look like they can't cover 3 grandmothers with walkers and Shannon's conservative D calls allowed KY's QB time to kill us for much of the game. Share the relief of seeing some real ballers out there for us - all fans should stand up when Toney grabs the ball and Malik looks to be the real deal. O-line still a work in progress but I think they were wearing out Kentucky's D in the 4th.

Cardiac kids, again. We had this game lost, then won, then lost by allowing KY to drive to the 25, then won with a lucky holding call that put their kicker 3 yards out of range at 57 yards. That kick would have been good from 52.

Props to Kentucky. They were ready to beat our azz and probably should have. But they didn't, so props also to Mac (gulp), Nuss and Randy.

Will somebody wrap some duct tape over Mac's mouth and run him to the locker room after the game? He's got to be the worst interview in the history of college football.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Thank you C2. As usual A great post to go with my morning coffee.

Agree on the DB getting lost on occasions. Each team had TD's due ro blown coverages. Their TD were more scheme that confused us. On the LB, I just don't know. If we had more safeties I would play extra ends and safeties, but we are out of them too. Poor recruiting or player development.

Powell, my favorite smurf. He always plays balls out. His sweep for a first down was a horrible play call and just like several of Davis' runs, all personal effort as it was smoked otherwise.

Davis, DAVIS, nuff said. Hits quicker with better vision .

Toney, what happened to him at the end? Trusted powell and not him? The wildcat needs to be a staple for a bit with a fullback. And Cleveland needs to work at getting up to speed faster. If he is our fastest guy he needs to show it.

OL, thought they blocked better straight ahead. I think when we run sidelines, they and the TE cannot get on their blocks fast enough and it gets blown up. I believe Thompson had nice blocks on two TD runs. Maybe he is good at run blocking.

Playcalling..WR screen U, argh..say it ain't so. Middle slant to Powell, running sweeps when you are gashing up the middle. Now someone did say that the both noticed Ky was having trouble lining up when we went unbalanced, if that helped create our two td passes, kudos! Speedy guys always running to short side..now we did have the WR pass and a few others, but 2nd down and ten = run. I would love to see a chart of Nuss' tendencies. Other than if it succeeds don't go back to it.

LDR for whatever reason, the O settled down with Luke and they got in somewhat of a rhythm, even if it required several fourth downs and ky stopped bringing the heat.

ST, thank you Johnny! Now I almost broke my tv on punt coverages, they need more effort and better players in there.

Go Gators and can we please just habe an easy win this Sat. If not I might need nitro and not bourbon

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015

Rest of schedule:

Vandy
LSU
A&M
Georgia
Missouri
USCe
UAB
FSU

I think we lose to LSU, Georgia, FSU, and possibly A&M. We are trash. We are a Hail Mary and a holding call from 0-3.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well:

I know he scrambled to avoid the rush, which was hot at times. Not sure how often he left with cold feet. Hey, we won with LDR in. I'll take it, but I still don't agree with the change if it was based on performance. Gut feeling...don't know. Looked like an "I don't know what else to do move. Didn't help the D as much as Stoops did. Glad Franks stayed among the team. Looked to be positive. We'll see what's what moving forward.

I'm not going to sit back and let any QB wind his watch. Knowing LDR wasn't really mobile only makes me want to force him into a short run or forced throw that much more.

Golden parachute if our mistakes don't catch up to us.
Rest of schedule:

Vandy
LSU
A&M
Georgia
Missouri
USCe
UAB
FSU

Agreed.

Certainly a possibility after dodging these last two bullets. We'll see if we pick up some momentum. We should.
I side with pulling Franks. Without knowing the specific plays called and how he executed them, Franks seemed a little wide eyed and unable to do the little things like get his line in order, communicating with the WR etc that ultimately influence the performance of the whole offense. Starting the second half where we went 3 and out and Kentucky scored 10 points, I felt his performance was poor enough that you needed to make the switch before things got worse. I believe Franks starts against Vandy and then see how he does.
It'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds. I guess I'd feel better if it was SOS managing the QBs in like fashion. I just can't understand a lot of what Mac does or allows his coaches to do much of the time.
Coach, I am surprised that you pull the luck card?! An old coach like you, I am sure you have used the Luck is where preparation meets opportunity line before with your players. Luck is the coin flip, luck is the direction a fumbled ball bounces when it hits the ground. Luck is not one coach calling a particular play and another calling a play that players successfully execute. Mac deserves whatever feeble credit for the win (I know you essentially said that) without the qualifier of he won with luck.
I believe luck is an opportunity that is often undeserved and preparation usually has not a lot to do with it! It's that oblong ball. Really, we can look woefully under-prepared sometime. We did so defensively and in some aspects offensively, namely the passing game. It has also been my experience that the sun don't shine on the same dog's @ss every day. If that's a staple in your success, it won't show up one day...or two. I do believe your efforts have a hand in creating luck, but yesterday I think UK did a lot of the creating for us (snap over the QB's head, missed FGs, but not the last one, playing not to, lose in the third quarter to name a few). If it holds up,long term, I'm calling Mac for some lottery numbers and a case of sauce!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand how the line and the call playing changed with LDR, I really believe he is going to start until he messes up. Again we did not deserve to win but yet we still did.
Me either, Chief. Kid was clutch when we needed him against Tennessee. Our offensive inconsistencies don't help.

On punt returns we have no lead blocker, back in the day our FB took out at least one cover guy. Also our punt cover team lacks a lot.
Not much blocking stands out on either return team. Looks like an effort issue to me. As stated, punt cover is an embarrassment. Thank goodness for the touch backs, but we really don't know how well kick cover can do their job. Maybe they won't have to. I'm still fearful that one of these units will wind up costing us a game at some point. But hell, we're winning. Don't fix it if it ain't broke :dunno:

On to Vandy!!!

Last edited:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Thanx for the insight, Cover2.

Until last night I was part of the gang that never wanted LDRio to see the field again. Weak arm, playing injured, etc. I've changed my mind. I agree strong-arm Franks didn't play so poorly he deserved the pull but it was the right decision. Douglas78 pointed out in another post, "Everything looked quicker, crisper, tighter with him in command. You'd have to be blind not to see the difference behind Del Rio." I agree. No question the offensive tempo step-changed upward. His supporting cast did most of the heavy lifting I understand. But he looked healthy, decisive and executed well, interception not withstanding. Yes, his arm is weaker than Franks but appears quite adequate. Going forward he'll be a game manager who distributes the ball to playmakers ala Toney, Davis, Cleveland, Powell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.