Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Louisiana State

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What a win over the Coon Asses! Particularly sweet given the sh!t talk that has been spewing from Baton Rouge of late. Better yet, we didn't lose one in the second half by virtue of too conservative and erratic play calling/sequencing (which have not left us BTW). The D is due a big hats off. They weren't perfect today, bent a lot, but didn't break, and the goal line stand was a thing of beauty. And they did it with several starters out, as if you didn't know that! Offensively, we were erratic, but actually made a big time play and found our running game against a pretty good D. Still several head-scratchers from the coaches IMO, but we survived them.

I personally went through a wide span of emotions during the game, alternating my cheers with streams of profanity. Don't get me wrong, the win, as I stated earlier, was great and much needed. But a lot of the same problems from several coaching standpoints remain. The difference may have been the level of mental preparation and consistent play, physically and emotionally, by the players. Thus, my comments will be broken into two parts...what I liked and appreciated and what I didn't (which could probably subtitled same old sh!t from the coaches and a couple of players). So here goes:
  • Scarlett just keeps getting better. The guy has the best legs and leg drive I've seen from a Gator back in a while. To repeat myself, he's Mr. YAC. He seems to get at least two or three yards when it looks like he's going to be stopped. Loved how he just demolished Beckwith. He looked especially strong in the second half. Keep giving him the rock.
  • The OL had something to do with Scarlett's big day. They were able, as Jesse said, to get a consistent push in the run game. Pass Pro was a little shakey, but they probably did their best on the 98 yarder to Cleveland. Thought the new center and the other youngsters acquitted themselves pretty well. Ivey played pretty well I think and made a highlight play when he wrapped and sealed the ILB on one of Scarlett's big gains. Glad to see this group progressing.
  • Young LB's played pretty well despite some gaffs. Early on, they were slow to read some keys (e.g. Kylan was a count or two slow reading the back in the flats on a screen and got sealed by the OT; with some experience he'll scrape past that block untouched and blow the play up) and pressed the LOS on the play action, which allowed the TE to easily get open behind where they should have been in coverage. But that's youth for you. They made enough plays to be a part of the winning D. The kid from Michigan has a chance to be a good one I think.
  • Appleby was fairly steady if unspectacular with a few exceptions, the biggest obviously being the strike to Cleveland. He made a big error on the pitch to Perine that could have cost us, but the D bailed us out. Hate to say it, but I don't think we win that one if the other guy was under center, so I do think we've upgraded the position somewhat.
  • Kicking game was good and I think coverages were better. Maybe Nord reads Gator Chatter :). Punter was a big part of the victory with his kicks that flipped the field when our offense was sputtering. And Eddy made some kicks, albeit more short than dramatic, that we had to have.
  • Just when I told c2 Jr that Perine seemed to be fading a little in the last couple of games, he has a highlight reel run, dragging half the Coon Ass D with him!
  • Loved the energy and consistent play by the team. It's been a missing ingredient. Hope it's here to stay, especially with Jimbo and the Criminoles on the horizon. Bama's another matter for two weeks. It's important that we play with the same effort and consistency of that and energy against a heated rival.
Now for part two:
  • The play calls/sequences are still at best erratic. First down is a throwing down way too much for us to fool the opponents. Of course, there was one big exception today and I tip my hat for the timing. Many will recall Mark Richt as the F$U OC consistently throwing from his own end zone with quite a bit of success. It also tended to loosen up the rush D. Still, we had little rhythm in the first half. The big play and the run game was great in the second, though I'm still wondering why we take Scarlett out on third and two (I think it was) to score and try the pitch to Perine. He would have probably scored if the pitch wasn't low and behind him, but my thinking is first, why even try it and second, you might look like a genius if it works, but you look like a dumb ass that's out thought himself if it doesn't. Might have been in the playbook, but wasn't executed like it had been well-practiced. It was a staple in Spurrier's time and we ran it and inserted it to perfection. Not so much today.
  • You might disagree, but I don't know why in the hell Mac called time out during the goal line stand. I believe LSU would have called their own and it could have been costly if they scored and we needed it when trying to get in scoring position with a short clock. We knew (or should have) what their goal line plays, formations, and tendencies were and should have been able to adjust as necessary. If they'd have Japped it up from the huddle break, then take a TO. Just didn't make good sense to me at the time and I almost felt like Mac might have felt like we were going to give up the score and wanted to conserve some time. If so, bad message to send.
  • Praised the OL, but Sharpe was anything but what his name implies on several plays, particularly in Pass Pro. But he's been getting beaten pretty consistently by the other team's DE, so I shouldn't be surprised.
  • Penalties seemed down (haven't checked the stat line), but the delay that put us in a and-long situation wasn't good. Gotta have a better presence in that situation.
  • Appleby seemed to lock onto one receiver on some occasions. There were a few passes that if he'd better read his progressions, we might have had a few more completions. Of course, protection was shakey and it's easy to get tunnel vision when you're on the move.
  • Mac better buy Collins a steak after this one. His group saved the day.
On the good side, we beat a good team that we had to beat and Mac got one more signature win. I think he has two now. The bad thing is that winning might make the coaches believe their plan has finally been validated, and maybe it has :dunno:. But I'm inclined to think that if we stay erratic with the play calls and play not to lose in the second half against the good and better teams, there will be more UT experiences in the future. We overcame it today because the D didn't give up or out and they dialed up that fantastic goal line series. Scarlett and the OL in the second half made it work. Remember that we only had 60 yards of total offense in the first half and we couldn't stop LSU on third down. Whether this is a trend or outlier will be better known after next week. But enough of my critical ass for now. Let's savor a big, big win and get ready for the Noles. Go Gators!

:chomp:

*Sorry about the error in the title! I'll fix it when I figure out how :(

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Cover, may I get your take on why Butters would call a silly type pitch play from the one inch line when you had run the ball all the way down the field right down LSU's throat? O-line was confident and you get cute there? Also agree with you about the defensive Timeout late. I would have just let it run, let LSU burn all their TO's and say to the D this is all yours. Oh my bad I just saw you addressed it. I thought it was one of the silliest things I have seen, even from moron Butters!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, may I get your take on why Butters would call a silly type pitch play from the one inch line when you had run the ball all the way down the field right down LSU's throat? O-line was confident and you get cute there? Also agree with you about the defensive Timeout late. I would have just let it run, let LSU burn all their TO's and say to the D this is all yours.
My pleasure Fire. I think it's a quality found quite a bit in younger OC's (which Nuss isn't) or older, less successful ones (which I think Nuss is) who over think and make those "cute" errors which you point out. Just run Scarlett right side and I think we score. Of course, it might have been a remaining vestige of trying to make sure Perine got to score and thus remain happy. Screw that if it played into the thought process. He's a freshman and a good one at that, but Scarlett is your guy. Another head scratcher.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I think Mac called TO because it was the only way to get the officials to review the spot of the ball on the 1 yd line. They were blowing him off and he was furious.

Reese has 23 tackles in the last two games. That is ridiculous.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think the timeouts on the goal line stand were to rally the troops. They had just given up what could have been a back breaking 4th down conversion followed by a couple solid plays to get them inside the 5. Time wasn't a factor anymore, so I think he was trying to spell them a bit and circle the wagons. Seemed to work.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another thing, and I'll admit to piling on a little, I don't know if it was the light or what, but Mac's teeth looked as yellow as the Tiger's helmets!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mac called TO because it was the only way to get the officials to review the spot of the ball on the 1 yd line. They were blowing him off and he was furious.

I think this was after the TO I mentioned. I know the announcers said he called a second one, but the spot review didn't result in one being charged. Still, we got the benefit of a time out during the review.

I think the timeouts on the goal line stand were to rally the troops. They had just given up what could have been a back breaking 4th down conversion followed by a couple solid plays to get them inside the 5. Time wasn't a factor anymore, so I think he was trying to spell them a bit and circle the wagons. Seemed to work.
Maybe so Sas, but I think it was first and goal from around the five. The next play after the TO was the one that wound up taking them to the one after the review. I don't think that was the desired result, but maybe the message carried over. Their best two snaps were the last two when we stuffed the FB and the RB on his dive (actually knocked the ball out).

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

I saw Mac asking the refs to check the spot during that TO. Lswho was gifted an extra yard and still didn't score, which was more icing on the cake.

Sep 29, 2015
Cover, may I get your take on why Butters would call a silly type pitch play from the one inch line when you had run the ball all the way down the field right down LSU's throat? O-line was confident and you get cute there? Also agree with you about the defensive Timeout late. I would have just let it run, let LSU burn all their TO's and say to the D this is all yours. Oh my bad I just saw you addressed it. I thought it was one of the silliest things I have seen, even from moron Butters!

The timeout was curious, but it's hard to argue with the results. Maybe he felt like the D needed a breather? More likely, maybe it was to see the formation LSU lined up with and adjust accordingly (alluded to by musberger I think). Whatever, it worked out.

One thing that kills me is the goddamn boot plays. They never work and are rhythm killers. Insult to injury, we get killed by our opponents on the same plays (not always by design, but still). Just stop it.

Spot on review C2. Nice recognition for Townsend. Nord sucks, but special teams was humongous today (finally defeat an LSU fake [boneheaded as it was], get a takeaway, pineiro 3 for 3 and the aforementioned incomparable Townsend).

As I've been saying (on an island), there is exciting promise in the youngsters on offense and some on defense. Just missing the signal caller. To that end, this wasn't a chimpish effort. Mac moves the chains pretty well despite QB issues and puts receivers in spots to succeed (e.g. Cleveland should have had two long TDs but for an overthrow in the first half). Mac still needs to be way more efficient in the red zone though.

I never really bought into the team motivation complaints that are common around here. But, I now believe there's something to them for two reasons. The hurricane cluster obviously motivated the team to play its most impassioned game of the year and a lot of the fire came from macs recruits who are: a) hungry for the opportunity; and b) not jaded by the demoralization of chimps last 2 years. Maybe Mac is just better at reaching his guys than the last regimes holdovers?

Anyway, great analysis again C2.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I saw Mac asking the refs to check the spot during that TO. Lswho was gifted an extra yard and still didn't score, which was more icing on the cake.
The white hat was actually smiling a "you dumb ass" smile after the result that I took to mean "you should have left this one alone Coach!"" But as you said, to hold them two plays from the one was pretty special.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The timeout was curious, but it's hard to argue with the results. Maybe he felt like the D needed a breather? More likely, maybe it was to see the formation LSU lined up with and adjust accordingly (alluded to by musberger I think). Whatever, it worked out.

One thing that kills me is the goddamn boot plays. They never work and are rhythm killers. Insult to injury, we get killed by our opponents on the same plays (not always by design, but still). Just stop it.

Spot on review C2. Nice recognition for Townsend. Nord sucks, but special teams was humongous today (finally defeat an LSU fake [boneheaded as it was], get a takeaway, pineiro 3 for 3 and the aforementioned incomparable Townsend).

As I've been saying (on an island), there is exciting promise in the youngsters on offense and some on defense. Just missing the signal caller. To that end, this wasn't a chimpish effort. Mac moves the chains pretty well despite QB issues and puts receivers in spots to succeed (e.g. Cleveland should have had two long TDs but for an overthrow in the first half). Mac still needs to be way more efficient in the red zone though.

I never really bought into the team motivation complaints that are common around here. But, I now believe there's something to them for two reasons. The hurricane cluster obviously motivated the team to play its most impassioned game of the year and a lot of the fire came from macs recruits who are: a) hungry for the opportunity; and b) not jaded by the demoralization of chimps last 2 years. Maybe Mac is just better at reaching his guys than the last regimes holdovers?

Anyway, great analysis again C2.
Thanks Light and good comment especially about the boots. You're right in that we have a terrible time defending them. The big culprit is the DE's who flatten out too quickly to the play action away. Impossible to redirect and pressure or contain the QB, unless your name is Jevon Kearse or such! This is a good part youth, but some of the responsibility lies with the DE coach and coordinator.

Sep 29, 2015
Thanks Light and good comment especially about the boots. You're right in that we have a terrible time defending them. The big culprit is the DE's who flatten out too quickly to the play action away. Impossible to redirect and pressure or contain the QB, unless your name is Jevon Kearse or such! This is a good part youth, but some of the responsibility lies with the DE coach and coordinator.

Good to get an explanation. It's maddening.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm liking McCoy's attitude running the O-line. He's got the push attitude across the LOS and it seems to rub off on the others... concur minus Sharpe. I know Scarlett is loving it... for a RFr, despite being smaller, I'm digging his tug boat mentality.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
The white hat was actually smiling a "you dumb ass" smile after the result that I took to mean "you should have left this one alone Coach!"" But as you said, to hold them two plays from the one was pretty special.

If that's how it went down, then the ref is an arrogant jerk. Knee was down with the ball at the 2 yard line.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If that's how it went down, then the ref is an arrogant jerk. Knee was down with the ball at the 2 yard line.
Sometimes you just can't predict what the outcome will be when it goes to the press box.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with pretty much all of it. Hit on many of the same things I saw both good and bad. The game was almost over when it hit me that we weren't our same old highly penalized selves. It made the game so much more enjoyable to watch. In fact , this was one of the most enjoyable Gator games I've seen in 5-6 years. It didn't have the effect of changing my mind about our offense or the coaching, but if they can somehow pull off another win like this against Bama it sure will.

One thing that keeps sticking out to me is the windmill delivery that Appleby has. It can tend to make some of his short to medium throws a "heavy ball" to catch (i.e. nose down and thrown too hard).

And not to toot my own horn (too late), but I was calling for that bomb from the end zone a couple weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator