Best Posts in Thread: Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Louisiana State

1. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,213
    Ratings:
    +4,096 / -2
    Starting to feel like the Little Engine That Could is working toward becoming a bona ride freight liner. The win over the top 10 ranked Coon @sses was a classic! Paraphrasing Mullen's requirement that the toughest team would come out on top and it certainly did. Lot of punching and counter punching in this one with LSU scoring a knock down on their first possession and us finally knocking them out on their last. In between was a lot of back and forth. Clearly both teams were tough, LSU that and big and talented in many areas to boot, but as has been a theme to me this season, our S & C program and the part it has played in player confidence was again a difference maker. We didn't fold when we would have on recent teams and have shown the ability to turn it on late in games. Yesterday was a true test of this mettle with the time the defense was required to spend on the field when the offense had periods of ineffectvity. This is also a fact IMO that adds to the pride felt, relates to the reliability and tenacity of many of our great Gator defenses of the past, and a good part of what is making our team fun to watch and rekindling what was a waning spirit among the fan base.

If you looked at LSU objectively, there's a lot to admire about what Ed O has developed and put on the field. His OL is big, strong, and pretty well coached. The QB is a good fit and is effective when he has time to read the field. Lot of speed in his LB corps and his secondary pretty damn good. Ensminger and Aranda are two good coordinators as well. So what I'm saying is that we rose to the occasion and beat a pretty good team that gave us their best shot. This is the direction we have been looking for and that most of felt we were beginning to head toward, but weren't quite as confident that this game was one of the ones that was do-able on this schedule. It's nice to be surprised this way and it certainly whets our appetite for more. It'll be interesting to see if this team that is starting to resemble the Spurrier and Meyer led teams in outcomes and expectations (though it's still very early) will have the Vandy swoon with the Dawgs on the horizon. Making it even more interesting is UK's loss yesterday, cracking the door to a shot at the SEC East, but let's not get ahead of ourself. Keep the next step as the most important one. Now, as @oxrageous might say...let's discuss:

*Starting with the D, I've got to give POTG shouts to Reese and Chauncey, though there were a lot of stars yesterday on that side of the ball. Each had 11 tackles I believe. Reese has a knack for finding the ball and probably the best position instincts among the LBs that we've had in a few cycles. That first LSU drive it looked like he was going to have a rough day with their RG wearing his @ss out on a couple of snaps, but he was money afterward and his leadership can't be undersold. And while on the topic of leadership, Chauncey is providing just that to our young and emerging secondary while making plays. His 11 stops from a DB is significant when considering what that means to not only stopping gains by the opponent's receivers, but also the support provided against their rushing attack.

*Still on the D, Polite and Zuniga are giving us a couple of book ends that can effectively rush the passer and are getting better each week in run defense. They were a big part of the stat line for this group that recorded 11 tackles for loss that included 5 sacks and 3 turnovers. The interior got punched on a couple of drives, but obviously fought back pretty hard. These guys are showing an ability to fight back and play bigger than some of their light @sses might have been able to last year. The D coaches are doing a job with the entire unit that shouldn't be overlooked.

*It is most notable that we forced Burrow into his first interception of the season (first two actually). The guy is a pretty good player and leader for them and we didn't let him beat us.

*The offense and Franks obviously had some positives and negatives yesterday, struggling after LSU's first drive and score, then coming alive only to stagnate after blowing what looked like a sure TD on a bad interception to start the second half, then coming back to life to take the lead that was eventually extended by the pick six late. This group owes one to the D, but still did what they had to do for us to win. Franks made some nice throws, the corner route to the TE for example, that last year he couldn't make stood out. Chizik, love him or hate him, pointed out how much more comfortable he looks each week in the pocket which obviously has led to his improved effectiveness. No Pierce yesterday, but Perine and Scarlett collectively rushed for 150 (85 and 65 respectively) and each got some key first down runs. You had to love the little option twist Mullen used to help in this department and Franks and Toney had some nice runs as well.

*The OL took another step forward IMO. Still some false starts and missed assignments, but gave up no sacks and did their part in allowing us to rush for close to 200. We still aren't elite on base blocking, but we are pretty good on the angles and G schemes. Hevesy is an obvious upgrade to what we've had since, well, Hevesy! It remains to be seen just how good this group will finish the season, but from where they have been, they're doing a pretty good impression of Lazurus right about now. Tip of the cap to these guys and their coach.

*Receivers played against a pretty good secondary who provided tight coverage pretty consistently, but there were some good catches, Jefferson and Hammonds stand out, and this group shows they have bought into their part in blocking downfield.

*Special teams continue to be very consistent if not spectacular at times. Coverage has been strong consistently and we have not had a drop off with our new punter and kicker. Young Raymond did his job of pinning the Tigers deep and flipping the field with a couple of boomers and McPherson's kick off after the penalty when we scored was pretty phenomenal. Even after the face mask penalty LSU still started at their 27, giving them a longer field than expected. This group's value is pretty evident and certainly makes us a more effective team in all three phases.

*Mullen's ability to have us prepared for the weekly challenges and his game planning continues to impress. The fact that we have learned not to panic when we have break downs offensively and defensively is a testament of the belief that is being instilled in the players. It is clear they have bought into him and the coaching staff and what they seek to accomplish. Still more tests to come, but thus far Mullen may be exceeding the early expectations. If you weren't initially enthused with his selection, hopefully he is growing on you.

*Probably the only negative about watching us yesterday was that I forgot to switch over to see the Noles blow a 20 point lead to Captain Coma and the Canes. I guess Willie and the tribe isn't back after the Christmas present from Petrino and the turnover chain is > than the turnover purse/backpack after all.

*A deserved shout out to Vosean Joseph. Always plays hard even if technique and fundamentals have been lacking, but he seems to be getting it and is making more plays less gaffs from what I see. Played through several dings yesterday as well. Good to seethe improvements to go along with the toughness.

*I know we got plenty of dings yesterday, but I don't recall any significant injuries. You have to think our level of fitness is playing a big part in this thus far.

*Cant forget Timmy's induction into the ring of honor. Much deserved for a great Gator and pretty special human being. He's a guy that makes you proud of our team and university.

*The Swamp looked electric on TV. Good to see us on the way back to being one of if not the toughest place to play in college football.

Next up...Vandy. As mentioned earlier, they always seem to give us fits or benefit from us letting down a bit after preceding tough games. However you want to look at it, the game with them is important to keep the momentum going. Their HC is a pretty good defensive guy and they always seem to bring a good effort when they play us. They played Notre Dame close, so they have the ability to surprise us. It will be interesting to see our approach. Again it is the next step and hopefully we don't look beyond them. I know I'm repeating myself, but you have to like our direction. And those characterization so far of what Mullen's offense was going to be? Well, it looks like the guy is making it more about his personnel than a predetermined scheme. Certainly there's still room to grow and improve, but some early fears and preconceptions should be soothed somewhat. Kinda getting the feeling that the best is yet to come, in following seasons if not this one. As always, Go Gators and beat the Commdores!

:chomp:

#1 cover2, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    • stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $624
      Ratings:
      +6,494 / -404
      The face palm was about as rare as me giving love to the dwags or noles. As for problems, did you have a problem with the outcome of this game when the pundits penciled in lsu for the win because they have more talent, better lines and a damned good QB? Just wondering about all these unresolved problems. My take is most here thought we were chckn sht before the season in talent and toughness and depth, Now we have this amazing chicken salad that is all the rave on the food channel and ESPN. I will take it. Coach DAN MULLEN has had to be creative in his play calling because he realizes this aint timmy and percy out there. He is dancing with the partners he came with. If it looks bad sometimes you may want to realize that. It is a process here and it is all I hoped for so far.

• Like Like x 17
      • Facepalm Facepalm x 1
      • List
      • cover2

cover2 I've grown old
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,213
        Ratings:
        +4,096 / -2
        P/S sorry I'm late getting this out, but had to rush to duty at the homecoming dance after the game and was late getting home afterward. I did get to learn things a 58 year old shouldn't have to like the "Stanky Leg" and what not. One thing that showed my age was that as one song began I actually thought the DJ was playing Hollywood Swinging by Kool and the Gang, a big deal from back in my dancing days. But alas my excitement was short lived as the song morphed into another unintelligible rap song. **Sigh**

• Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
          $2,057
          Ratings:
          +2,676 / -34
          It’s bizarre, lacks respect and demonstrates zero loyalty to our guys. Whats worse is none of these guys would call him that to his face. Not that they are the least bit afraid of him but because they would not act juvenile in public. Message boards bring out the worst in some.

Call a man by his name. My father taught me to stand up when I shook a mans hand. I can’t imagine what he would have done if I disrespected one by ridiculing his name. Whatever...to each his own.

• Like Like x 14
          • Drunk Drunk x 1
          • List
          • lizardbreath

lizardbreath Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
            $675
            Ratings:
            +1,123 / -21
            C2 is an intelligent fan and an astute observer. His takes are uniformly rational and well considered, but his perspective is consistently positive and Gator-centric as well. The good-natured wit he brings to his observations is also a blessed relief from the cynicism and self-aggrandizing snarkiness that seem to be the stock and trade of some on this board. No, all is not perfect, but anyone who can't, or won't, acknowledge the remarkable turnaround that is so obviously taking place in Gatorland is either being purposely obtuse or is serving some personal agenda that I personally don't give two shyts about. Keep up the good work C2 - you da man!

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $2,309
              Ratings:
              +10,432 / -50
              Maybe because it was a running play and blockers were downfield, which would result in a penalty if he threw a forward pass.

• G8trwood

G8trwood Well-Known Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $318
                Ratings:
                +601 / -8
                LB Vosean Joseph earned Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week honors after making 14 tackles, 3.5 for loss, against LSU.

• GatorTom85

GatorTom85 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $85
                  Ratings:
                  +256 / -4
                  I totally agree! What exactly does it take to earn some respect after taking a 4-7 team that was soft, broken with a losing culture and transforming them into the team we saw yesterday in less than a year? There are people on this board who apparently want us to suck so they have something to whine and complain about. For those in that camp, might I suggest a certain team a little farther north in the state? They seem to be tracking in a direction that looks to be more to your preferences.

• alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                    $2,107
                    Ratings:
                    +8,069 / -257
                    @SaltGator what did you dislike about Cover's analysis?

Want to give some credit V. Joseph and J. Hammond. Joseph had 14 tackles (3.5 TFL) and 2 sacks. Hammond had 3 catches for 85 yrds.

M. Stephens pops up again with a TD catch and Stiner closes out another 4th down for the game.

• lizardbreath

lizardbreath Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                      $675
                      Ratings:
                      +1,123 / -21
                      Right on the money. Incidentally, I too find the insulting nicknames and goofy misspellings of Coach Mullen's name increasingly tiresome.

• Like Like x 10
                      • Facepalm Facepalm x 1
                      • List
                      • GatorMan5K

GatorMan5K Gatorologist

Oxbucks:
                        $165
                        Ratings:
                        +285 / -27
                        No Mary,
                        Those coaches deserve the moniker.

Why would I block you, the sand in your vagina amuses me

• TN G8tr

TN G8tr The "Original" TN G8tr
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $1,101
                          Ratings:
                          +2,656 / -11
                          Cover, this comes to you after a long day in the SUV headed home from Hogtown. And I enjoyed every mile of the nine hour drive. You really nailed it, as usual. I have to say that I am so glad I penciled this game a year ago to return. All I can say is the Swamp has not been that electric in a long time. My ears were ringing for hours.

I just have to give Mullen props. There are things that he does that will make you say WTH, but which coach have we ever had that didn't make you do that at times. It seems as if he knows every little thing that's going on. Even if it means jumping up in down to get the fans jacked up. And it worked.

Just a few points as I am dead tired and the adrenaline is wearing off.

D, was lights out.
                          Someone got in Chauncey's ear in the off season and told him to man up. Great performance.
                          My POTG, the entire OL. Few mistakes here and there but when a UF OL of late did not give up a sack, damn good job.

I see this team getting closer, playing harder, and loving their coach. That should bode very well for us.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $3,001
                            Ratings:
                            +9,562 / -26
                            As always, great stuff @cover2 ...

Got back from Gainesville tonight and watched it on TV for first time... the pick six was CBS’s play of the game, but I think Scarlett’s first down on 3rd and 1 with 5 minutes to go keeping that clock eating drive going might have been at least the most under appreciated play of the game

• lagator

lagator Senior Member
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $1,202
                              Ratings:
                              +2,033 / -75
                              Well, the guy does own a "shi tter's full" sweater so I don't think he is particularly offended by the reference.

[​IMG]

• lagator

lagator Senior Member
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $1,202
                                Ratings:
                                +2,033 / -75
                                Fantastic write up. As the team and coaches gave us their best effort to date, I think you did the same, so bravo to all. I don’t think you missed a thing. For a minute their I thought you were going to miss the significance of the swamp crowd that gave us a big advantage in that game, but you hit on that as well.

I posted last night how,borrowing from Saban, that it has been a long time since we had to worry about rat poison, but now with the guys playing almost great and getting some great wins, it’s inevitable that they are hearing about their greatness from everyone. Bad timing when the next game is against a perceived lesser foe before the match up with the big dogs who are currently king of the hill. And on top of that, an early start conference road game checks all the boxes for a potential trap game. This might require one of the better coaching efforts of the year.

Speaking of the coaches, no doubt they are earning our trust and serving up hungryman portions of crow to some of us.

Go Gators!

• SaltGator

SaltGator Midline

Oxbucks:
                                  $268
                                  Ratings:
                                  +619 / -1
                                  I fat fingered the like button, I meant to give it a like. Thanks for pinging me, I fixed it.

• cover2

cover2 I've grown old
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $1,213
                                    Ratings:
                                    +4,096 / -2
                                    The first neighbor my wife and I had when we were first married was a Cajun from Louisiana and he proudly referred to himself as a Coon @ss. I always thought it was a term of endearment :dunno: I'll tell you one thing about those guys, they know how to drink beer, eat good food, and have a good time!

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $2,309
                                      Ratings:
                                      +10,432 / -50
                                      Its a five yard penalty. so technically you could argue that 1st and 15 is better than 2nd and 14. But in reality, imagine tossing the ball to Scarlett on a sweep and he notices that the defense is blowing up the play and its gonna be a sure loss of yards. Would you expect him to just instantly play QB and throw an illegal forward pass to avoid the loss? Of course not. Toney's wildcat play was a run, not a pass or RPO. Just my opinion but expecting him to throw the ball away there is a big stretch.

• Defend the Swamp

Defend the Swamp Well-Known Member
                                        Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                                        $191
                                        Ratings:
                                        +192 / -0
                                        They are very sound technically, lot of good hips when it was time to turn and run and really broke on most balls very quickly and precisely. That hard play can be very frustrating to receivers obviously. Lot of talent with a lot of experience. Good recruiting and good coaching. Our kids should have learned a lot and if any have NFL aspirations, they should realize that kind of game is what it's like every down in every game, not to mention practices. Our young guys in the secondary likely can't replicate that kind of play consistently in pass skeleton. They probably will by next year though.[/QUOTE]

Once Dean learns to flip his hips consistently...look out.
                                        More experience = more confidence.
                                        He needs the reps & it will be fun to watch him develop.

• cover2

cover2 I've grown old
                                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                          $1,213
                                          Ratings:
                                          +4,096 / -2
                                          Thanks Rex. I think Durfish captured the essence of the troubles our receivers had in the quote below...

Couple of things to add...they pressed to take away quick stuff to the sidelines and were pretty physical when we tried to stem and escape into routes. They are very sound technically, lot of good hips when it was time to turn and run and really broke on most balls very quickly and precisely. That hard play can be very frustrating to receivers obviously. Lot of talent with a lot of experience. Good recruiting and good coaching. Our kids should have learned a lot and if any have NFL aspirations, they should realize that kind of game is what it's like every down in every game, not to mention practices. Our young guys in the secondary likely can't replicate that kind of play consistently in pass skeleton. They probably will by next year though.

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                                              • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                                              • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.