Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Michigan

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by cover2, Sep 2, 2017.

1. T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $122
    Ratings:
    +4,492 / -200
    That narrative has to stop now. All three coordinators are garbage. Zero reason to keep Mac on year 4. None. Nada. Zilch.

2. Floridagator

Floridagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $14
    Ratings:
    +298 / -15
    Line of scrimmage game. We fix that then an average QB and RB would look good. Same on D. No push and overpursuit by backers.

3. GatorInGeorgia

GatorInGeorgia Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $32
    Ratings:
    +1,017 / -22
    Then why did you make a post strictly about Shannon, the one to which I replied??? Don't take my post to meab I'm letting Nuss, Mac or any other staff off the hook as I didn't take your Randy Shannon post to mean you were.

4. T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $122
    Ratings:
    +4,492 / -200
    I'm talking about the narrative that Shannon did a good job yesterday. He did not call a good game at all. He was abused by Harbaugh all game long.

I'm pretty sure we are in agreement.

5. GatorInGeorgia

GatorInGeorgia Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $32
    Ratings:
    +1,017 / -22
    :fistbump:

6. Swampergator

Swampergator Newbie
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    Same as I saw and felt...it was 2010; deja vu all over again...

7. jdh5484

jdh5484 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $464
    Ratings:
    +2,062 / -28
    Yeppers.

8. EyeDocGator

EyeDocGator Politically Incorrect
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $57
    Ratings:
    +1,055 / -13
    What does it say about the state of the program that reading this thread was much more enjoyable than watching the game?

9. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $141
    Ratings:
    +2,915 / -1
    Doc, I'm afraid it says we might start putting up signs on both ends of Gale Lemerand that says "Maybe Next Year, Gators" as we start for home just before the third quarter ends! I jest of course, but it's feeling something like that and I'm a stay 'til the end guy both in person and while watching on the tv. Somebody said in another thread that it looks like the decade of gloom (or words to that effect) is gonna continue. I'm having a hard time seeing Mac getting it turned at this point. Truthfully, I felt pretty much like this after last season, but a little surge in recruiting gave pause to reconsider somewhat. Saturday has erased that feeling, however.

I've gone from cautiously optimistic when Mac was hired, in part because I was dead wrong about Muschamp and like everybody else wanted anybody (almost) as long as the plug was pulled on him. First year he got a pass, but I wasn't too keen on the way we closed the season. Next season about the same, only I had grown tired of Mac's routine with the press and a lack of prowess offensively, which was contrary to what he claimed and was supposedly the reason he was selected. Saturday was about it for me and as I stated in another thread, his countenance in the presser painted him as having no idea how to fix the team and full of doubt. He looked like he was done.

As for me, I'll keep watching and pulling for our Gators. But my confidence in Mac's leadership has eroded significantly. I sincerely hope that a much better plan than those we had prior to these last two hires is being prepared. I think we're gonna need it barring some sort of miracle.

10. stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $110
    Ratings:
    +4,174 / -187
    FWIW this thread has always been enjoyable win lose or draw.........hell, watching reruns of Perry Mason is better than watching yesterday's 2nd half..........

11. soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $358
    Ratings:
    +4,867 / -7
    Probably already mentioned, but to me the biggest takeaway was that recruiting rankings absolutely matter, and it was on full display Saturday, especially on defense. We can talk all day about busts, exceptions to the rule, outlier examples and feel good stories. But the fact is our inability to recruit the top flight talent in the trenches(outisde of this year's freshmen) showed. Rashan Gary lived up to his ranking. Unfortunately so did Taven Bryan and Jabari Zuniga. Both good players, both seem to be solid student athletes. But neither should be starting at the University of Florida if we're expecting to compete for titles. Just reality. By McElwain's own admission, UM was bigger, faster and stronger than us. Sure, some of that is S&C related, and these are kids that can still grow beyond high school. But generally speaking, the higher rated recruits are coveted because they're bigger, faster and stronger than the rest as far back as their Jr and Sr years. That's why you have to land those guys, instead of taking on projects that may develop into something by their 4th year.

We've talked at length about our failures in recruiting ultimately catching up with us, and it did. And while Henderson had a nice pick-6 in his first game, we shouldn't be relying on freshmen across the secondary either, as we saw with the deep pass over Davis. All because guys like Stiner, McWilliams, and Taylor aren't SEC caliber starters. McElwain loaded up on fillers and insisted that he knew what he was doing. The fact that in year 3, guys like Henderson, Wilson and Davis are on the field in the second quarter of game 1, says that he was wrong.

Also, Shannon has no concept of defending a draw play or covering a TE. When everyone in the room--none of whom have coaching background--knows that there's a high likelihood of seeing as draw play (3rd and 13), there's absolutely zero excuse for not being prepared for it. In addition to JM and Nuss looking as if they're in way over their head, Shannon's ceiling is probably more of a LB's coach, not DC. Throw in Nord, and you've got quite a staff.

12. Gator-Don

Gator-Don Member

Oxbucks:
    $3
    Ratings:
    +29 / -0
    First they need to be taught that they can't stand around nearly flat footed and try to arm tackle a 210+ lb. RB running by them @ 30 mph.
    Never seen so many whiffs by a Gator team.

13. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $141
    Ratings:
    +2,915 / -1
    Bull's eye, SoFl. As you state, having to rely on freshmen and guys recruited last year and the year before who are still a year or two away from their best is a poor odds gamble in the top level of college football. Like taking your last $5 when the baby needs milk and instead spending it on scratch-offs hoping for a payday. Combine this recruiting/developmental plan with the planning, prep, and play calling/execution that was on display Saturday and the result was another beat down to a ranked opponent. Not boding well as we move into the season.

14. Alligatoridae

Alligatoridae Newbie
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $13
    Ratings:
    +113 / -0
    What really sucks is because Mac won the east (even though everyone knows it doesn't mean $&%+ considering the facts) his first 2 years he will almost certainly be given the 4th.

I can't freaking believe I have to sit through 2 more years of this crap when it should be clear to everyone with eyes what is going on here.
    I'm dumbfounded.

15. p'cola gator

p'cola gator New Member

Oxbucks:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    First....we sux!! Second.... I think the eight suspended for credit card fraud should be commended for using entrepreneurial skills to make money.....they just got caught. As for the other 2 who were smoking dope...let them smoke!!!! If you have every FBS FOOTBALL player take a piss test right now....70 to 80 percent would test positive! So let them smoke.....if helps us win, I'm fine with it because we damn sir are not going to win with coach mac and coach miss!!!

16. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Stop steaming up my tail!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,507
    Ratings:
    +24,454 / -504
    You're stoned right now, aren't you?

17. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $2
    Ratings:
    +232 / -13
    Your Avatar is a Georgia bulldogs fan. I'm guessing you know that though.

18. Circle City Gator

Oxbucks:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +194 / -2
    I can't help but wonder how much better Franks would have played if he hadn't shared snaps with Zaire and LDR right up until game time. Did his inexperience limit the game plan (and how tired are we of hearing that garbage)?

19. Durty South Swamp

Durty South Swamp doodley doodley doo!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $288
    Ratings:
    +8,901 / -51
    How many 3rd and california conversions by running it right up the gut does it take for you to feel otherwise?

20. soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $358
    Ratings:
    +4,867 / -7
    That definitely makes zero sense, especially considering they didn't even let Zaire throw, and LDR was a complete afterthought. So why take away reps from the only guy that you have any faith in? Again, we're trying to be cute instead of having the confidence that our players are as good as the opponent's, and we don't need gimmicks. I also think the whole "let them prepare for different things" approach is really indicative of how we handle in game situations. Competent staffs actually have the ability to adjust to what the other team is doing--a thought that is apparently foreign to us. We could've announced either QB as the starter, then surprised with someone different, and it would've probably worked for 1-2 series before JH and Co adjusted. It's what football is all about.

But honestly, other than being a bit clumsy, I thought Franks played fairly well. Practice reps or not, if you have zero time to make your reads because the "strength" of the team is a complete disaster, there's not a whole lot that you can do. WR's also got very little separation, which has become the norm recently.