Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Mississippi State

How would you grade the Gators performance?

• A

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • B

Votes: 79 78.2%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Another fine Sunday morning with Cover2!

The only humble observation I could add is how UF was better conditioned than MS, and it truly showed in the 4th quarter. We we moving better on both sides of the ball. All that off season work paid off this week.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We didn’t score a lot of points but the improvement is obvious. That was a loud, tough environment and after some early problems with the noise we settled down nicely. Stat you might not see posted elsewhere: We forced four 3-and-outs on defense and we didn’t have a single 3-and-out on offense.
Correct Zam. Very important stat. I think that Lee and Mick said we held them to only 2 third down conversions on 12 attempts (0 for 2 on 4th down, though one was to end the half and was an incomplete pass that was really like a punt).

@lagator pointed out how well our WRs are blocking and that does make the horizontal passing and wide runs work. He also mentioned the swing passes to the backs. MSU ran a lot of two high man, so that tightens up the middle of the field. Swings to the back after running off the corners is a good counter. When the LBs start picking them up, it can loosen the front up some if the QB needs to run. Natural progression, but of course the back has to catch it and Perine and Pierce are probably the ones to do that.

Raymond was also mentioned by @AlexDaGator for accolades and he is certainly well-deserving with his ability to pin deep and cause fair catches (cover team gets some credit with this aspect as well). Lee and Mick pointed out that last year we were #106 in college football return yards allowed. I think they said that so far under Mullen we have allowed 6 return yards. Great turn around. Cleveland also gets a shout for catching another punt for a deep pin. Clearly the team has bought in to expectations for great special teams play. And did you know we have a good kicker? :)

Last edited:

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Great write up as usual cover2. I think the improvement the O-line has made over the last couple games, even with the penalties tonight, is nothing short of miraculous.

And what else can be said for the defense. We thought this was a deep group of lineman and the first couple games were head-scratchers, but the whole defense is really rounding into form and played a helluva game. We're watching a lot of guys who are going to play on Sundays.

Franks has definitely come a long way and played a nice game overall, but he still has a ways to go. Someone actually said he played "flawless" in the game thread and I think they were serious. But I saw the same thing that you did, that is one INT could easily have been 3, and that probably would have been too much to overcome with points so hard to come by, so hopefully limiting those "bone headed" plays you mentioned is something they can continue to work on.

What I really liked from Franks tonight is the timing and accuracy he showed in all those swing passes. Those were working like a charm, especially in the second half, and that only works when the QB gets the ball out quickly and accurately, and Franks was on point tonight.

And that brings up another groups performance I think you may have overlooked with your accolades in this weeks B&P. That was the WR blocking. It was seriously masterful and time and time again made those lateral passes turn into nice gains and critical first downs. I know Donkey likes to make fun of WR being recruited here to block, but those guys were on fire tonight. I saw forward blocks sideways blocks, hell, even picks and backwards blocks that may be just this side of legal. All I know is that group deserves a big congrats because they were making tonight's sideways offense work. and when you miss those blocks all those sideways passes get frustrating in a hurry.

Overall a damn good win and another piece of the foundation to build on.
You feeling okay, LA?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another fine Sunday morning with Cover2!

The only humble observation I could add is how UF was better conditioned than MS, and it truly showed in the 4th quarter. We we moving better on both sides of the ball. All that off season work paid off this week.
Thanks Pines and no question about the conditioning. I think they miss Savage and his impact on our kids certainly shows. It can be a difference maker obviously. Not only with the physical aspect, but also the confidence it builds.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
We didn’t score a lot of points but the improvement is obvious. That was a loud, tough environment and after some early problems with the noise we settled down nicely. Stat you might not see posted elsewhere: We forced four 3-and-outs on defense and we didn’t have a single 3-and-out on offense.
Nice catch, Zambo. That's a huge stat! Maybe one of the most important of this game.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This struck me more than anything else. I knew this wasn't going to be a high scoring game after the 1st quarter ended in what seemed like the blink of an eye(I think each team had 2 possessions). Although we've all come to hate grind it out, TOP football, the coaches did the right thing by playing along with MSU's style of play. In a sense it really helped control the crowd and keep them out of the game in the 2nd half. Games like this when you are a rebuilding team are far more important for building confidence than building stats and style points. Hats off to Mullen on this game.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Stat you might not see posted elsewhere: We forced four 3-and-outs on defense and we didn’t have a single 3-and-out on offense.

Not counting cupcakes, I bet the last time this happened was in the Meyer era. Great stat Zambo.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
As all have said C2, you cover the "waterfront", ( an old allegory, sorry). I watched the defense miss tackles & not wrapping up due to not playing good gaps in the first half, cleaned up in second half. Not going to work against LSU. Need to come out with stops right from the get go. Stat sheet showed defense had some glaring misses by a few players who will get coached up this week I'm sure.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
You feeling okay, LA?
Winning cures everything. One would have to be blind not to see the improvement. Still, 13 points leaves a helluva lot of room for improvement. But this defense is fun to watch and the offense only occasionally makes you want to gouge your eyes out so definitely moving in the right direction.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Good read C2. Although Fred Johnson had 3 false start penalties, but the line still needs a lot of work. The only thing I would say is that the way Cousin Eddie managed the end of the first half, does matter, regardless of the result of a game. It shows me an innate ability to manage a game, no matter the situation. If he thought he had outsmarted MSU by taking a timeout late, then why not take it with 10 seconds, and actually force the punt and try for a block, not 4 seconds. Given the field position I say TO immediately and try and get a FG. As you mentioned UL-FSU, 2 minutes to play, UL up 3 and FSU has 2 TO's remaining. Run it 3 times and punt let's say and FSU has 60 seconds left and zero TO's. Let's say that the QB called the wrong play as has been mentioned. If your QB is not a mental midget, does he not ask himself why are we passing here? All from the top C2, attention to detail.

Good ball possession in 2nd half really limited MSU possessions, but C2 why do you think MSU abandoned the running game in the 2nd half? Did HC become impatient b/c they did not have a lot of plays or do you think he got antsy after his WR dropped an almost sure TD pass?

10 seconds could be run off without punting, go wildcat and block run around and then throw the ball high and out of bounds. Now earlier might have worked, I considered it when the announcers were whining. How about this possibility, you force them to punt and try to block it, a penalty happens and they get that one play which we give up a TD. Perhaps not likely but maybe not worth the risk.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
10 seconds could be run off without punting, go wildcat and block run around and then throw the ball high and out of bounds. Now earlier might have worked, I considered it when the announcers were whining. How about this possibility, you force them to punt and try to block it, a penalty happens and they get that one play which we give up a TD. Perhaps not likely but maybe not worth the risk.

Your point is extremely valid Chief, which makes the timeout with 4 seconds all the more inane. Since we were getting the ball to start the 2nd half, perhaps one could say let's not risk trying to block a punt and potentially roughing the kicker that might result in the opponent getting points. No problem with that thought, so if that is the case, why take a timeout at all? Or since you get the ball to start the 2nd half, one might say let's get aggressive, take a TO with 40 seconds left, force a punt, set up a return, set up a block, etc. Still have 2 TO's remaining, hit a couple of decent gains and boom, try a 50 yd. field goal. Whatever your view is fine, but the most ridiculous choice was the one Cousin Eddie went with. That is important to me as it shows management and thought processes in a short time frame. Just like going for it on 4th and short. Some might say why, just try a medium length field goal? I was okay with the decision regardless of result. I did not particularly like the play call, but to each his own. but I understood that process.

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
The effort from the OL was outstanding. Tall order against some real talent. Here’s the difference...preparation.
Confidence in knowing your responsibility allows each to operate at full speed.
Bottom line is this...good coaching, buy-in from players, and relentless effort equates to exponential growth and rewarding results.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Pierce is the “closer” I guess but man I’d like to see touches for him earlier. He averaged 7.5 ypc last night against a team that was still within one score and this was not “garbage” time. He and Perine ran better than Jordan last night without a doubt.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Pierce is the “closer” I guess but man I’d like to see touches for him earlier. He averaged 7.5 ypc last night against a team that was still within one score and this was not “garbage” time. He and Perine ran better than Jordan last night without a doubt.

Unlike so many others I really like Scarlett. I think he is solid. Perine as well plus he may be a bit more versatile. Both solid.

Pierce is different. He is special and sooner or later we are going to take the chance and let him tote the rock. Everything changes from that point forward.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I don’t think the INT was necessarily Franks fault. Our guys have to stop alligator arming these passes and go up and bring them down.

Scarlett needs to be the 3rd string running back. His 4th down run was inches from possibly costing us the game. He runs with no authority and runs away from the initial hole.

Franks is proving to be tougher than my imagination could ever create for him. He’s turning into a hell of a leader out there. Not blowing anyone out of the water but keeping the O focused and ready to go.

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
I don’t think the INT was necessarily Franks fault. Our guys have to stop alligator arming these passes and go up and bring them down.

Scarlett needs to be the 3rd string running back. His 4th down run was inches from possibly costing us the game. He runs with no authority and runs away from the initial hole.

Franks is proving to be tougher than my imagination could ever create for him. He’s turning into a hell of a leader out there. Not blowing anyone out of the water but keeping the O focused and ready to go.

The pick was the result of good LB play. Yeah, FF has some responsibility here but, sometimes you tip your hat.
More impressive to me was the team didn’t fold under adversity. Of course, this could have been a much different outcome if the MSU wr catches the pass immediately following the TO.
But I’m more impressed that the team didn’t relent.

Later in the game, the dogs took another shot deep. Certainly seemed to me the DB’s learned a little something about Awareness.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
As someone opined in another thread. The quicker reads and hot routes play into FF and the OL strengths.

Thing I really like last night was energy, most guys running full throttle . Cautiously excited to see how they progress through the brutal part of the schedule.

Go Gators!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Winning cures everything. One would have to be blind not to see the improvement. Still, 13 points leaves a helluva lot of room for improvement.
It was rare for these guys to manage a first down under Butters.

Qbs aren't supposed to be flawless. The great ones are about 60%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator