Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Missouri

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For the second Saturday in a row, I'm starting an article while the game is still in motion at the end of the third quarter, but the outcome already determined. 35-9 Mizzou :facepalm:. Looks like we're gonna have to be satisfied with the prospects of a new coach on the horizon, as the possibility of enough wins for a winning season and a bowl bid are quickly evaporating, which would cement this season as a wash. Gonna get worse before it gets better, I guess (to use a tired quote where our Gators are concerned). Before I get into the specifics, let me say that I'm a little surprised at the effort I'm seeing from the players, despite losing their HC and the guy, who for many of them was the one who got them to come to Gainesville. I thought they would respond more positively to Shannon as the interim, but this looks more like we're in the eighth quarter against UGA. As I type, the Tigers score again to go up 42-9. Not much good in the way of an audition for whoever that next guy will be, players or current staff. On that happy note, lets dissect a little:

*Zaire as the starter was slightly better, but not enough to make a winning difference. He made some nice throws (and a couple of poor ones) and extended some plays with his legs, but was victimized by poor OL play on several snaps. His running ability did not translate into either a threat or give pause to the Tigers' D in terms of their aggressiveness. I'd say at this point he still needs to be the starter, but his play has to elevate along with that of the entire group O (no sh!t, right?).

*OL was poor today. Couldn't block the run effectively nor was pass pro very good. "A strength of the team" still resonates. This unit was dominated by MISSOURI. Not Bama or another good team. Here's my quandary: Coach Davis is obviously popular with his players and gets some recognition as a recruiter from what I read, yet his unit has not gotten that much better if you look at the whole of the season and in their second year under his supervision...are they just not that good, brain dead, or is he not getting it done? My thinking shifts to the responsibility of the position coach, bolstered by the modest improvements we have seen in a few games and how well they have blocked the run. I just feel like they could be coached to better consistency. Or is this game just part of the malaise? Remember we didn't do any better against UGA unless you are excited by what was accomplished against their ERW's late.

*The D was manhandled, again, by MISSOURI! They shoved five yard runs up our tailpipe all game. I joked with @Gator98MD in the box that we needed him to remove this Tiger impaction! Nobody stood out really positively and many of the same mistakes stood out, like missed tackles, poor technique and fundamentals (e.g. early on we had a DL blast through on a line to blow up a draw play, but he was out of control with his weight so far over his feet that he couldn't break down and make the tackle; instead, the back simply deked to the side and ran upfield for a nice gain while the DL just collapsed while trying to stop his momentum). The back seven was not real good either. Among the LBs, Reese made a couple of plays, but not a lot beyond that from this unit. That we are starting a walk-on is quite telling and reminding of how long the recruiting ball has been dropped. Among the secondary, Henderson, despite his pick where he was the only open player, is likely on his way to the Shands burn unit. Two interference penalties and two long receptions conceded will leave several scars. Just poor play from top to bottom.

*I've gotten onto the players, and deservedly so for their effort and play, but coaching definitely plays a part. That dynamic didn't just start, obviously, but you have to think that Shannon was going to have them energized more than they were. He said the right things at his presser, but maybe one week and after the change it wasn't enough time to affect the culture that McElwain had built (not with Butch Jones' bricks, but his own straw and mud, perhaps)? Something tells me that constantly being told they "played their tails off" and "I still like this team" in losses sends a subliminal message that it's ok to lose as long as those in charge think we did ok. Not a winning plan IMO. To wit, one of the best messages I ever heard about came from Jim Hughes, past HC at Colquitt County (Moultrie, GA) high school. Coming off a State Championship in the mid '90's, the Packers were playing in a preseason Classic in the GA Dome against one of the ATL area powers. They were behind, but driving to score a late TD which would have given them the victory. They got down to the goal line with seconds left, but were stopped short on the final play. They had played hard, as they always did, but came up just short in a game that was essentially meaningless in terms of their region record and determining whether they would make the playoffs. The exhausted Packers circled their coach at midfield, awaiting his post-game words that would give them not only comfort, but an impetus for the season ahead. What Hughes told them was this: "Get your GD 0-1 @sses on the bus! We've got work to do!" Doing what it takes to be a winner has to be a priority! I don't know that all our players know this.

*I keep hearing from some that we have a lot of talented players who just aren't being utilized, particularly on offense due to our 19th century offensive approach. I'm going to disagree a little. Beyond Davis, Cleveland, Toney, and maybe a couple more (you name 'em), the talent we have is raw and under-developed. Thus, they're not in a position to provide the consistent threat to a D that would make a difference. Can't really apply the "but if" argument where the offensive scheme is concerned, even though you and I know it's putrid, because there's nothing else where these players are concerned to compare it with. The bigger issue that the new HBC has to tackle is how can he get enough quality players in the next cycle to start making a difference? We've known this for how many years now? Problems 1b and 1c are can we get the current roster, many of whom are potentially talented, to develop much beyond where they are now and are there any current staff members I can keep that are getting the job done (Seider is likely the best I can come up with)? Or does he have to clean the whole house and find a complete staff to come in?

*Did I mention Special Teams looked terrible again? Outside of downing a punt inside the five and covering one for little to no return, both coverage units stunk. Eddy didn't kick 'em out of the end zone like he usually does and Kick Cover was finally exposed to be as poor as their sister unit Punt Cover. Both return teams were bad and Powell's muff kinda set the tone. But is anyone really surprised?

45-16 loss to MISSOURI. Our suffering continues. A piss poor Seminole bunch suddenly looks a lot better, not to mention Muschamp and his 'Cocks. UAB? Who knows at this point :dunno:? Looking forward to the new hire is going to be our Christmas and New Years, I guess. Beyond that, I can hope that we at least get a better effort in the remaining games. Even if we lose, but play hard, it's better, right? Yeah, I know, not much. Hope isn't a plan to win necessarily, but it's what I'm reduced to and I'll still be pulling hard. No need for our efforts as fans to mirror what we saw on the field today!

Go Gators!
:chomp:

*edit* Penalties! Good Lord we are so undisciplined. If this can improve from now until the end of the season (and I know we aren't off to a great start under the interim), that will be a positive that we have to have.

Last edited:

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Thank you Cover for the courage to analyze another debacle. Embarrassing and shamed the Gator Nation today. Hopefully Coach S can rally the troops and coaches from this disgrace to chalk up another win or two. Need to figure out quickly who of the credit card group is getting kicked out so we can start looking for more players.

Go Gators

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, all but a select few have quit. It's time to forget about the 2017 season and start looking forward to 2018 and beyond under a new staff.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
We have a few pieces that can be good, but man the coaching/scheme does them no favors. The online needs to find the nastiness those guys are supposed to have. Seasons a wash at this point so they need to start working to improve for next year. Seider is the only coach pulling his weight based on the eye test.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is Perine the only offensive player with any heart?

Alex.

Yep, all but a select few have quit. It's time to forget about the 2017 season and start looking forward to 2018 and beyond under a new staff.
Yep. Not a lot on display. We're not good, but I've seen a lot worse teams put a lot more into it than I saw today. On the outside looking in, it doesn't appear that consistently instilling pride was a priority. But shouldn't players at a high level program come here with that as a characteristic? This can't all be on the coaches.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. Not a lot on display. We're not good, but I've seen a lot worse teams put a lot more into it than I saw today. On the outside looking in, it doesn't appear that consistently instilling pride was a priority. But shouldn't players at a high level program come here with that as a characteristic? This can't all be on the coaches.

A LOT is on the coaches imo. But kids today aren't the same as kids of our generation either. This generation is softer mentally and emotionally. The school of hard knocks is avoided at all costs today, and it shows.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As a junior writer here, I'm adding a Tom Petty playlist to the thread. That's what the pros do, correct?

Yer So Bad - our O, our D, our Spec Teams, etc.

Even The Losers (Get Lucky Some Time) - Missouri, but they were just better, not necessarily lucky.

You Wrecked Me - Yeah, Tigers, you. And you, too, Butters.

You Don't Know How It Feels (To Be Me) - Seems that way, but really Gator fans, you do know and have known for a while

I Should Have Known It - ...Should've seen it coming!

Forgive me.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good read C2, great fortitude to muster the energy to write such a good recap. They takes guts, heart, fire and discipline. all the things that our Gator football team sorely has none of. And it was not just today, it has been festering under ole Hee Haw for 3 years. Until the Hazmat units fumigate and physically remove Fooley from the area, and then get on to burning down any remaining stench from Butters and the staff, it will not change. Guys can talk about Fun and offense and throwing the ball on every down, but last time I checked UGA is LAST in the SEC in passing yards per game and they have a pretty darn good team. And I doubt Bama is ringing up 600 yds. per game passing. Now 1 year does not make a long term fact, but I know quality football when I see it, and it has nothing to do with style of play!!!!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
...Guys can talk about Fun and offense and throwing the ball on every down, but last time I checked UGA is LAST in the SEC in passing yards per game and they have a pretty darn good team. And I doubt Bama is ringing up 600 yds. per game passing. Now 1 year does not make a long term fact, but I know quality football when I see it, and it has nothing to do with style of play!!!!
Thanks FF! I'd give double likes if I could for the quoted part. WINNING is fun!

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the effort of the analysis. Wish we'd seen more from the team.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
As a junior writer here, I'm adding a Tom Petty playlist to the thread. That's what the pros do, correct?

Yer So Bad - our O, our D, our Spec Teams, etc.

Even The Losers (Get Lucky Some Time) - Missouri, but they were just better, not necessarily lucky.

You Wrecked Me - Yeah, Tigers, you. And you, too, Butters.

You Don't Know How It Feels (To Be Me) - Seems that way, but really Gator fans, you do know and have known for a while

I Should Have Known It - ...Should've seen it coming!

Forgive me.
Let me up (I’ve had enough)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
cover, could Zaire's ok play be attributed to how bad mizzou is? I mean they are a bad football team. Context?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let me up (I’ve had enough)
:exactly:

cover, could Zaire's ok play be attributed to how bad mizzou is? I mean they are a bad football team. Context?
Certainly they weren't good, though we made them look like contenders, but some of his positives could be attributed to their real standing among SEC teams. I think his college football experience, mobility, and awareness helped him some where Franks' lack thereof hurt him in past games. It would have been nice if our run game would have been up to par, especially against a D that has had problems stopping the ground game. I think that might have opened up some more opportunities for him to hurt them passing. They got a lot of pressure just from their front four, which helped them in coverage.

Context: Yeah, they're bad; we're just worse right now and it has been in full display for two weeks now.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have seen nothing out of this team all year to have expected much else.
I've seen the same, but I expect much more respect for the game and self than what was on display. This is, after all, football. Or, if I believe what I just saw, what's left of it.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Interesting comment attributed to Cubb during the Ga game, that practices are so tough that they cannot even enjoy a win.

Now that's what I'm talkng about. No hugs, coddling or bbq, just tough nosed football

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So we’ve known this is a bad tackling defense, but this is also a bad ball hawking defense.

We don’t force any turnovers.

The picks we get tend to be QB mistakes served up on a silver platter rather than the result of great defensive plays.

But at least we’ve gotten a few picks.

How many fumbles have we forced this season?

Look, we knew the defense would be taking a big step back this year (probably one of the reasons SideHat dipped out) but it’s much worse than expected.

We’ve had to rebuild defenses before. 2007 and 1993 come to mind. But this is the worst Gator defense in my memory.

Alex.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
It is because we are soft, out of position and barely hanging on.

Injuries coaching suspensions players, who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.