Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Tennessee

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
Spot on as always Cover2...

As far as the Cleveland drop, man was I hot, right in his mitts. Felt he made up for it and gained confidence when he had the over the shoulder snatch on the punt coverage at the 2yd line. Then another good TD on a 50/50 ball from a nice throw. He attacked that ball.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nailed it as usual Cover.

The biggest spot for me last night was David Reese II. That was a totally different defensive unit last night with him inserted into the game. Glad CC was back, but he is one IMO that needs relentless play on EVERY play. Reese II is the one that brought that and appears the true leader of that D.

Confidence will go a long way. These guys need to prep that way for the Trip to Starkeville. Cowbell has given UF fits over the years. But I know that my year is set......We beat Tennessee, AGAIN!
Thanks TN. Agreed about Reese. Regrettably I left him out of my piece, but his return, play, and leadership were indeed significant. CeCe's probably going to have to have a few games to knock the rust off. If he can get back to his best, it will certainly help bolster the defensive front.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Great read cover2. I'm very thankful the announcers mentioned the 2016 choke in Knoxville only once or twice in the 1st half rather than reminding us every quarter. After the Vols coughed it up to start the 3rd, Scarlett finally made them forget what happened in 2016.

I don't know about the rest of you, but it felt great watching the Inbreds in the stadium voice their hatred for our beloved Gators with one of them who looks like the banjo player in the movie Deliverance giving our boys the arthritic like middle finger.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great read cover2. I'm very thankful the announcers mentioned the 2016 choke in Knoxville only once or twice in the 1st half rather than reminding us every quarter. After the Vols coughed it up to start the 3rd, Scarlett finally made them forget what happened in 2016.

I don't know about the rest of you, but it felt great watching the Inbreds in the stadium voice their hatred for our beloved Gators with one of them who looks like the banjo player in the movie Deliverance giving our boys the arthritic like middle finger.
Thanks dad. It was also heartwarming to see them head for the exits early in the second half. Probably helped with the post game traffic around the stadium, but no telling how many clogs it caused at the liquor store drive-thrus or the dirt roads leading to the bootleggers' shacks.

Rtygators1

Sep 8, 2018
Another takeaway from this game, we appear to have a team/offense/coaches that pays all the way through the fourth quarter unlike the last 8+ years. The team is far from perfect but I like seeing them play an entire game even with backups in. I was so sick of seeing the grey a lead and then try to sit on it to win a game. Here's a scary revelation.... the last team to score over 40 3xs in a season was from WM first year.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Our kicker has made a FG in a hostile stadium and it was not an easy angle, so I am happy.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you watched the highlights from KY / Miss St, you see KY's DEs had a field day against the Miss St tackle.

Zuniga, Polite & Jeffereson better be ready, because they should be able to take over next week's game.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Anytime we lay the wood to toothless hounds is a good day. Their ineptitude helped greatly. 3rd down is still not our friend on either side of the ball. Dumb penalties are certainly drive killers.

What a difference Reese made early stuffing a run up the middle. Really set the tone. A lot more pad noise than we heard before. Brings some needed attitude! Not sure about the CeCe crabbing into the qb’s knee, didn’t have replay to see it again.

Think the refs could have called a legit pi on almost every long pass play, some technique to work on there, as well as wrapping up on tackling! Seem to give up a lot of extra yardage due to it. The DB’s showboating after bad tackles and penalties is getting old to me. Lot of growing up and coaching needed.

Scarlet isn’t my favorite back, but what a blitz pickup to allow FF time to throw the Cleveland TD pass, pretty amazing catch too!

Franks is Franks, thought he got broken in half on that early TD run, guess he has some gumby in him. Think Mullen still needs to help him out some more with crossing routes and slants to keep his confidence up, too much locking on those first reads and throwing into heavy coverage.

We still struggle with sustained drives which concerns me as we move forward, but baby steps and moving forward!

Go Gators

Last edited:

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Maybe if it gets better we can score more than 47 :)

I'd like to see Pierce get more meaningful carries. Start? Probably not as long as Scarlett performs like tonight and Perine is solid. I'll take more carries earlier in games. Toney got some good touches and Cleveland had a nice grab for a TD. A lot of coaches might have cut his plays after his early drop. Hell, all the receivers need more targets, but when you have a bunch of good ones and Franks is the QB and still trying to grow, you don't always get what you want or maybe what was called?
I daresay that Mullen is taking advantage of the real-time opportunities to work on Franks. The playcalling is probably different in a closer game.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I should add, running down the tightend and causing a touchback against a sure TD, now that is relentless effort!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good Lord, the incessant bytching about the playcalling. What do suppose our success would be with Don Coryell calling them in from the sideline?

We need better players more than better plays.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
cover2, i was just showing my wife the same thing you pointed out on Pierce's run. so good setting up the block, showing like he's going outside and then exploding right up the field. every one of his big gainers shows patience, vision, and footwork that are just so natural for this kid. excellent RB. so excited to see him flourish.

I was like, "Look! Look at that!"

She was like, "That's nice dear. Go Gators."

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Great post as usual. I did not note the players but there was a couple that kept showing up making the plays. We have some luck but most was a result of effort.

Kyle did his part in closing the game and with one really good throw shows to me that he could do the job if called upon. Franks has shown at times a lack of good leadership in getting penalties for mouthing off.

I get tired of the announcers whining that Kyle never started in HS. My understanding is a great QB was in front of him and he did play significant time as second stringer. If needed I think he would do the job as well as Franks, perhaps better.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
. If needed I think he would do the job as well as Franks, perhaps better.

I think the kid is doing good considering the lack of playing time. I think he will do ok when called upon but we really need Jones to step up and grab the job next year. Franks has improved but I am afraid he may be maxed out.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Excellent as always C2.

Want to give Perine a special shout out. He lost a fumble early but then he made up for it on the early onside kick. I thought sure the ball was going to get knocked out of his hands and UT would recover. I still don’t know how he held on but he did. Great job on that play.

The two huge momentum swing plays that could have gotten UT back in the game were that onside kick and the 4th down fumble into the end zone. A couple of great individual efforts by Gators on those plays. Well done gentlemen.

Alex.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Good Lord, the incessant bytching about the playcalling. What do suppose our success would be with Don Coryell calling them in from the sideline?

We need better players more than better plays.

Good point, but we need better plays and better play from our players. You can't just trade for someone like in the NFL and there are no walk ons with talent to just add either.

I have seen many times coach actually coaching in the middle of the game, perhaps others have done so but I don't remember them being seen on TV.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Brad Stewart was really good last night . Knocks a fumble loose on kickoff and with a stellar interception. He missed a tackle at one point around the LOS due to taking a poor angle and misjudging the speed of the back . A few players later was put in the same situation and makes the tackle for no gain . He learned from his mistake and corrected it . We need more guys like this.

Great play all around by the DL. Shuler, Campbell , TJ and Zuniga were a real force . We are a much better defense with Reese in the game as I suspected . He did a really good job . Joseph still flies around out of control and out of position at times . He’s a good athlete but misses too many tackles for a starting backer .

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One of the things I hate most about watching on TV is the inability to see the whole field. From the glimpses I get though, it sure seems like our passing game is schematically a lot better. I actually see open receivers running routes that make sense, rather than two receivers in the same spot sitting down in between 3 defenders like I'm used to. Would really love to see this with a better line and guy under center who can process and fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.