Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Texas A&M

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After a first half that yielded 13 first downs and 41 plays by the offense,140+ yards in the 2nd, and a defensive effort that kept A&M bottled-up and featured Tavin Bryan's coming out party, the offense failed to produce in its final 3 possessions, allowing the Aggies to to kick 2 FGs and escape with a narrow 19-17 victory. Franks, who had his moments, threw an INT on the first play of the last possession to end any chance of a comeback.

I feel like I've typed "inconsistency" to death this season, but quite frankly (no pun intended), that has been our dominant trait IMHO. Defensively, we played well enough in the 1st half and had Monds under wraps for the most part. Then in the 2nd, Monds was born again and we suddenly were unable to keep his legs from hurting us. We hept them out of the end zone enough, which allowed us a chance, but he kept getting them in scoring position, which they took advantage of with their FG kicker. Special Teams punt cover didn't help matters, yielding a long return. Offensively, we didn't piss a drop when we absolutely had to. OL was not good during this stanza and struggled with pass pro again (Franks was sacked 3 times in the 1st half). Franks couldn't get it done at the end.

So we take a week off to heal before meeting the Dawgs, who struggled early before routing the lowly Tigers of Mizzou. Do we heal enough and put together a plan that includes more consistent play all around? Gonna have to. While the Aggies didn't come in soaring from a victory against USCe and a great effort against Bama as I feared, I just am not certain that they were as good as their previous efforts would indicate or that we were actually better against a thought to be better team. Most likely, we were the lesser of two muddlers tonight. Our BDUs, fatigues, or whatever the new uniforms were didn't help matters. For the record, I hate gimmicks with the uniforms (or with crowd blackouts, orange outs, etc.) unless Timmy is the QB. Anyhow, let's talk some specifics and I'll need your help, as I had to listen to all but the 4th on the radio as we returned home from the mountains:

*Hated to see Sherit carted off and hoping the injury doesn't end his season. Probably our most consistent defender and maybe one of our best leaders. Certainly good on the field and in the classroom. Godspeed 17.

*As was mentioned...Tavin Bryan. Light came on. Several big plays including back-to-back sacks. His play reminded me of Law's favorite singing group...Boys to Men :). Seriously, he played like he understood and that allowed his brain to not get in his way. Beautiful.

*We finally got a TO tonight after a what, 2-game drought? Problem is, we gave a costly one up that prevented points. This is a defensive stat we've got to get more out of if we're going to have a chance in two weeks.

*Once more, we seemed to come out flat to begin the 2nd half. Our drive to start gives it right back and they produce points on their 1st possession. What the hell do we talk about at halftime that affects performances at this juncture?

*While I'm not one to lay blame on a single player or unit, Special Teams had a big hand in the outcome. Specifically punt and punt cover. We almost let one get blocked, lucky it was just tipped, and then fail to cover adequately, especially in the 4th. This has got to change, through leadership first and foremost. No excuse for us to be this poor so consistently.

*Davis is our best RB, especially when there is a little bit of blocking (which there was not on our next to the last drive as evidenced by him being stopped on consecutive runs). He made one cut that just undressed #17. Yet, Perine gets the start and early carries, only to give way to #20 :scratchhead:. Are we afraid Perine might transfer? Davis needs to be more involved at the beginning of the game IMO.

*OL regressing? Hope not, but looking like it from the last two outings. We've run some, but couldn't spring the back when we needed to in the 4th. Pass Pro not reall good for the past two games. Looking ahead, Dawgs D is pretty decent. They're licking their chops as they break down our film.

*Fellipe went from likely hero to goat on his last play. Never saw the LB squatting. It wasn't all him truthfully, but when everyone expects another "Heave to Cleve" type play when we are in this position, or heck, even a run like the 79 yarder he ripped off, he's got to eliminate a mistake like he made, even if it is typical of where he seems to be in his development. He and the staff have got to expedite the process, some how. Part of that also has to include throwing the ball away to avoid sacks and lost yardage. Too much like Driskel was.

*Beautiful catch on the sideline by Goolsby. Need even more TE in the throw game. Powell was the go-to and I suppose someone had to be with the injuries. No Toney and no Cleve narrows things. However, it should provide multiple opportunities for the youngsters to step up. Didn't happen quite as needed, but much of that is probably on the QB. Speaking of which, Lee stated at one point that we had more receivers open tonight than previously. Franks did throw some good balls, but he's got to make 'em pay more than what happened.

*Defense gave up points, but not a lot of TDs thankfully. Bent, and Monds did a lot of the bending in the second half, but kept us close enough that we had a chance. Duke, I think, played well. I'm sure there were others.

*Have we ever been successful under Mac when we line up on 4th down and try the shifting thing? Maybe it works in practice against the 2's? How about we scrap this tactic?

We're having a tough time winning close games lately when the other team doesn't cut their own throats or aren't coached by guys named Jones or Stoops. Doesn't hurt that A&M's kicker was ice. The old saying "We are what we consistently do" seems very relevant. What we consistently do is be inconsistent and we've gotten away with that at least two times, but the curtain looks to be closing and the fact that we have basically stopped forcing turnovers exacerbates that issue. Jax is looming. We (the fans) are still waiting, though not real patiently. There is one thing that is consistent...our offense vanishes when we must have it. Oh, and we continue to have too many 1st down plays that leave us in 2nd and long, which we seem to run on for the most part. Make that two things. Got to work to get better. Waiting...but so are the Dawgs.

Go Gators!
:chomp:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
C2, you were way too kind. No spy on Monds when it was obvious he wanted to run. He can't throw for SHYT so I would have mush rushed him a lot more than we did. And how you did not mention Butters clock blunders is mind boggling. Perhaps they are so expected that they don;t warrant a mention. But a good read as always. I guess you are just the kinder gentler type. I am the JACKA$$ is a MORON type and must go ASAP!!!!!!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
C2, you were way too kind. No spy on Monds when it was obvious he wanted to run. He can't throw for SHYT so I would have mush rushed him a lot more than we did. And how you did not mention Butters clock blunders is mind boggling. Perhaps they are so expected that they don;t warrant a mention. But a good read as always. I guess you are just the kinder gentler type. I am the JACKA$$ is a MORON type and must go ASAP!!!!!!
You provide what I asked for...a little analytical help. Recall I only got to watch the 4th quarter. The rest I had to rely on Mick and Lee while driving down 75. For the record, I have no faith at this point that the things that we point out weekly that must change in order for our fortunes to do so will ever happen under this staff. Wait til next year? Wait for what? Same ol' sh!t? Also, their spy worked on our last O snap, didn't it?

BTW thanks for pointing out the continuing saga of poor clock management or, subtitled, "Nero" fiddled while (Gainesville) burned!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Okay C2, then you get a pass, b/c relying on Mick for useful info during the game is impossible. Mick is excitable, but he does not know a 3yd gain from a 7 yd. gain and it is impossible to follow the play or the action with him. But at least your travels were safe and you are spot on that nothing will ever change under this current JACKA$$

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okay C2, then you get a pass, b/c relying on Mick for useful info during the game is impossible. Mick is excitable, but he does not know a 3yd gain from a 7 yd. gain and it is impossible to follow the play or the action with him. But at least your travels were safe and you are spot on that nothing will ever change under this current JACKA$$
No kidding about Mick. He was almost Deckerhoff-ish tonight.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good read as always, Cover. On Franks' last INT, it looked to me like the TE was open, but he just threw it low. Most of his throws were pretty good imo, but his worst throw came at the worst time. Also I think if Cleveland had played, there would've been deep completions. Hammond and Swain are decent backups but not playmakers. Franks obviously still has a way to go but the talent is there.

A lot of the game was the same ole same ole. The only surprise is that the defense held them to under 20. That's twice in a row that the defense did what it needed to to win. Shame the rest of the team hasn't done the same, and I don't think we'll be able to hold UGA to less than 20 (or 30).

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
No kidding about Mick. He was almost Deckerhoff-ish tonight.

Funny you say that, LOL. A few years ago I was traveling and was within earshot of both the day Chump bested Dumbo at Ron Zook Field. Well I kept going back and forth between Deckerhoff and Mick and could not understand or follow the play, the ball or the game. So I finally got so frustrated I turned them both off and went to music and caught the final score. Both are excitable, but both are awful radio play by play guys.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
We're having a tough time winning close games lately when the other team doesn't cut their own throats or aren't coached by guys named Jones or Stoops.

. . .

Go Gators!
:chomp:[/QUOTE]

Some additional observations from Gatorwalk through the last INT:

Mac has mentally resigned.

He wasn't even smiling at Gatorwalk. He had that same, sick look on his face as after a loss (or a hurricane). I yelled to him "Smile Mac, you haven't lost yet." It didn't make him smile.

Perrine early over Davis = continued talent blindness

He continues to not engage players at all during games, most glaringly Franks. He complemented Taylor on the pick and talked to Burnett after the double penalty. Otherwise, he continued his absentee coaching.

At the end of the first half there are 3 justifiable options (long FG, short pass & timeout, or Hail Mary). We went with a totally useless option.

Mac blamed piniero for kicking out of bounds in the 4th as giving up field position (cost us 10 yards). BUT, he failed to note we put a safety in his first start into press coverage on Christian Kirk, perhaps the fastest live-action player in college football. Pre-snap, I told my 7 year old to watch as it was obvious what was about to happen. 45 yards later and Mac blames Eddy over his 10 yard mistake.

Punting to Kirk - f***g moron. Plus, it was about the 4th-5th time we did it, including the very prior punt. Postgame Mac blamed Townsend. But, he never talked with Townsend during the game about stopping kicking it to Kirk. Again, he doesn't coach during games. This simple lack of clear communication lost the game.

After the 2nd-3rd quarters and still no spy on Mond? They aren't helping the players.

On the bright side, after the Tennessee game, Mac is now appropriately using our timeouts at the end of games while on defense to preserve our time (instead of holding onto them like sone precious ring). Soooo, that's positive improvement.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Franks is lost. Two TD passes in the first half that he didn't see. Then doesn't see the LB over the middle on the game ending drive. I'm starting to wonder what he does see.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
So close yet so far away. Too many bone-headed plays/play calls to consider this a well-coached team. STs especially seem to be a mess.

Some playmakers may be emerging, such as Bryan on D and Davis on O, but more players have got to step up if we're going to beat GA. Kudos for Powell for his consistent play, game after game, but the flickering light bulb above Franks' helmet needs more juice.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MAC does his best Butch Jones impersonation when he tries to fool the defense, by having Franks run a read option. Everyone knows Franks will not run on short yardage.

BRING IN ZAIRE ON SHORT YARDAGE!!!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

He wasn't even smiling at Gatorwalk. He had that same, sick look on his face as after a loss (or a hurricane). I yelled to him "Smile Mac, you haven't lost yet." It didn't make him smile.

Perrine early over Davis = continued talent blindness

He continues to not engage players at all during games, most glaringly Franks. He complemented Taylor on the pick and talked to Burnett after the double penalty. Otherwise, he continued his absentee coaching.

At the end of the first half there are 3 justifiable options (long FG, short pass & timeout, or Hail Mary). We went with a totally useless option.

Mac blamed piniero for kicking out of bounds in the 4th as giving up field position (cost us 10 yards). BUT, he failed to note we put a safety in his first start into press coverage on Christian Kirk, perhaps the fastest live-action player in college football. Pre-snap, I told my 7 year old to watch as it was obvious what was about to happen. 45 yards later and Mac blames Eddy over his 10 yard mistake.
I was there close behind the bench. The position coaches engage the players during the game. He doesnt but he has the head set on talking to the upstairs I guess. Perine in our goal line runner for damn sure but they had little running room tackle to tackle. I love Davis. He is special. Mac does seem disengaged out there on the sideline. I agree with most of what you are saying. But I never see practice. I would like to see how he interacts with our offensive guys there. Coaching styles are different and can work with position coaches during the games with their guys...............
I will say this about last night. Our boys came to play. I wasnt expecting us to play TAM that well after their bama game. I love our players. I think we have a core and talent to be damned good with the recruits coming in. Mac may not be the guy to lead them but Im positive Nuss aint the coordinator we need.
btw phcckkkkkk georgia............I just want us to be healthy when we take the field in the Gator Bowl,

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We lost the last TWO games in a row.... in THE SWAMP!!!!! Same mistake chump made. Too many home losses. We HAVE to again, make people fear playing there. Like they pretty much know they're gonna lose in The Swamp.

Having said that, and as BAD as our offense is.... do you think having Calloway, Cleveland, toney, and dare I say even LDR (I would say scarlett but our RB's seem to be doing their part) would have attributed for more than the 2 points we lost by. I do. We play that exact game with those guys, and we'd had won.

Now before anyone blasts me for excuse making... I'm not. Our offense SUCKS and is miserable to watch! I just think those guys get us from the 100's to say, oh I don't know, the low 90's in total offense. We NEED an new OC like now!!! And we really need a new HC. I'm afraid we've seen the best Mac has to offer.

Last edited:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And another thing, it was obvious we missed Toney. But Dre Massey looked pretty good. He made something positive happen whenever he touched the ball. Why the hell didn't they give him a few more touches???

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Thanks cover,

I thought the team looked really pumped up at the beginning of the game. The DL had one of their best efforts yet despite a few breakdowns. Linebackers and DB continue to have ah shytz moments. Some really hardnosed tackling and hitting then a few moments of confusion. AM dropped a lot of balls that helped us early. Tackling...maybe I just want our guy to win every battle, especially when you outweigh the guy by 70lbs.

The Davis/Perine rotation is a mystery unless they just want Davis late. He is much quicker, but Perine ran very hard last night.

The left side of the OL, brrrr, nough said. Just like when announcers keep talking about lack of WR separation. At this point, poor routes or lack of physicality on our wr (heck the DB too) that allows them to get pushed around.

We had a Massey sighting as well as a fullback! Brief glimpses of a change, then...... Saw a few WR blocking also.

You can sum FF QBIQ by the number of times he continues to run out of bounds for a loss rather than tossing the ball a few yards up the sideline coupled with throwing into tripple-quadruple coverage. If someone has 3 defenders around him, maybe someone else has none?

D continues to give up huge yardage numbers (compared to O) but a few suspended LB and a safety back would help this? The O, Cleveland/Toney would have helped but they still have other problems.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Pitiful performance. You win all the metrics. TOP. First downs. Yardage. In your house. And still lose. The second half was painful. With one score the urgency seemed to be lost. That was followed by the ST fail. It’s cliche but this team can’t play 60 minutes of big boy football.

Last edited:

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I saw some good things last night - the 1st half we were way ahead of the clock, uptempo and mixing it up on the play calls and it was working. A&M was on its heels almost the whole 1st half and way behind in stats. Things were looking like the team (read: coaches) had learned some tough lessons from previous lackadaisical play and came ready to get at it tonight. Looked like a win was coming! Then halftime and the inevitable letdown when we take the field again. What in hell does Mac do - pass around the Nytol and read the dictionary at the half? Well, same 'ol shyte we get the kickoff with a chance to get some cushion on the score, blow it, give it back to A&M who were energized in their locker room, probably by an azz-chewing from Sumlin. Then we muddle through the rest of the game, A&M always close on our heels and catching up outplaying us Same 'ol Shyte. Lose with 1 minute left, but can win with a FG - but losers gotta lose. And we are losers under this staff. We should win one more game - 2 if we're lucky. UGA (blowout) and fsu look to be in the L column cause Mac is just a stupid, dimwitted dunderhead that we have made a multi-millionaire. He's too stupid to seriously change anything and a complete misfit in this way-over-his-head job.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
We're having a tough time winning close games lately when the other team doesn't cut their own throats or aren't coached by guys named Jones or Stoops.

. . .

Go Gators!
:chomp:

00N0N_84FeoCBD9Az_600x450.jpg

"BUT THEN, THERE AIN'T MUCH TO SMILE ABOUT!"

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
There were some interesting comments on the gas about a few well designed isolation plays being run only to have the qb roll out to the other side away from the play or for the qb to go elsewhere into coverage when the design of the play was there. On the rollout, maybe just that he can throw cross field vs trying to throw rolling left, or even pressure again.

I didn't dvr the game, so I figured I would post the question.

Go Gators

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I just found out that oxking went to bed last night when it was tied 10-10, not caring to finish it. I don't recall him ever doing that in the last quarter century.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.