Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Vanderbilt

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coming to you live from Mexico Beach. At least it is a good venue to watch an unimpressive game. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we got the win, but it seemed more like a high school non-region game by two teams not headed for the playoffs OR a win that we'd have been proud of when we had been handed the death penalty or some such serious sanctions by the NCAA. I'm posting this without reading any similar posts. Hope being that my musings will be pure (if not a little overly emotional given the current state of affairs) and without bias from other ideas. We'll see:
  • 10 possessions with 7 empty by us (not counting final clock runout). Scored 1 TD and 3 FG's. The OL continues to be a catastrophe and are truthfully the greater part of our offensive woes. I actually charted all of the games offensive plays and, wait for it, most were...offensive. Can't really pen it on Nuss and Mac other than from a preparation standpoint IMO. Appleby showed he is likely pedestrian at best. Had a few good throws late, but missed a bunch in the first half to open guys, some of which helped kill drives. I didn't think his progression reads were very good as evidenced by missing an open Callaway when he threw it out of the end zone (I think on the possession where Eddy kicked his short one) and not seeing Powell earlier on an open cross. Not much creativity to be had with Appleby and the OL that would have helped in this game.
  • Mason > Mac? There's a case for it today, as he might have done more with less. Maybe a reach, but not a long one. Mac and Gators did get the victory. Vandy D was good and the Butler kid was pretty good. Their O made a living on the counter (due to LB's getting cut off and well-executed G and backside blocks). The Webb kid from G'ville gashed us. We were able to get a hold on it in the 4th. Our D bent but didn't break I guess you could say (held Vandy to FG's). Really they got dented up pretty good, but got some key stops late to likely save us. But it was Vandy...not an offensive juggernaut by any means. If our guys think we can just keep showing up, somebody isn't getting reality across to them.
  • Kicking game was good. 42 yarder by Eddy was pretty impressive. Punter was good and coverage not bad, though the D lost the field flip a couple of times. Kickers may get a game ball. SOS was in attendance, so who knows :dunno:. I'm ready for an offensive player(s) to break out.
  • LB's were pretty decent today. Anzalone, in addition to being pretty solid and hard-nosed, is a hustler. He gets in on a lot of plays to the flanks on sheer effort and puts good pressure on the QB when he rushes. Davis will over-commit at times, but he has a great motor. Stay healthy, guys. We need you every game.
  • I couldn't believe Vandy gift-wrapped it for us on their punter's gaff and then we botch a snap inside the five. Not a poised play by a team who still has a chance (at least through the conclusion of UGA/UT) to get to ATL.
  • Scarlett needs to be the featured guy. I have to agree with others from the Ackerman thread that Perine is likely #2. Cronk has his moments and can catch, but the freshman is coming on. Thompson, as has been noted, takes to long to get started. While on the run game, we actually got a couple of good gains on toss sweeps and a quick pitch. Vandy must have been keying too much on the box runs! Still, we'll take it.
  • Our TE's are useless when called on to block. I have to give Law a shout, as I think he's onto something with us being underweight in this position as well as on the D front.
  • As spongy as the D was, they had some key stops (as mentioned previously) and some highlights. Pick by Tabor was #1 (but why in the hell did SEC Network have to list him by his stripper nickname?). Great tip by Davis and pick by Washington at a crucial time was #1a.
We are a mid-level conference team, at best, right now. Problem is, our best-case scenario was to come out hard and fast and make everyone believe that the second half collapse against UT was an aberration. We fell far, far short of accomplishing that and this may be a point on the Mac tenure continuum to remember. Personally, I'm questioning his and the staffs ability to get the players motivated. Of course, the players have to be intrinsically motivated to do this on their own, but a noticeable lack of take-charge guys makes it difficult and throws the onus on the coaches. I just think the staff is falling way short in this area. Can they get it corrected? Hell, they better.

We'll either keep on eking-out nail biters or drop a few more that might have once been considered winnable (LSU and UGA for example). My hope is for the former, but I'm not overconfident. Go Gators as always! Tell me what you think.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I tend to want to blame Nuss a little more than that because we are pretty predictable and execution has to fall on the coaches a lot.

I agree give Scarlett a chance to take that over mostly as he is running very hard at least unlike some others. LSU scares me a lot with our undersized D line.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
As usual I agree...and thank you once again

Offense line and TE blocking is as stated a fire. TE look more like receivers. Put two freshman lineman in to block instead. Maybe two back set. Need more receivers to step up. Think Calloway is still a bit gimpy. Powell,idk, never cared for him but I have been wrong 20-30 times today.
AA was not good today but LDR also had some scarey throws against lesser teams. Scarlett is the man and they need to leave him in. Make thompson a TE or H, he waits too long for the blocks to develop, which ain't happening.
I liked how perine fielded the one kick, all hands. That could be good to keep Calloway safe and give a spark at that position.
Don't leave tallent on the sidelines. JS was hot, then he sat for a qtr. several missing huge holes and powell and gools always want to change direction after a catch as opposed to going with their momentum and getting yardage.

Physicality, has ipf made them soft on both lines? Agility and power seems lacking with several. Getting whipped mano v mano in the trenches regardless of scheme.

DT definitely too light and keep getting out of position with the injuries showing the skill dropoff. LB flying all over the place Wish they were heavier too. Runs up the gut ard tough for us. No pass pressure puts the man on man in deep Doo. Safety's making good plays in run support. Still having some coverage communication issues.

Kicking games was good and Gardener had a good game on ST.

Not sure how we can't get numbers in our favor and take what they give us. Short slants instead of screens? Execution, execution. It was a win, but an ugly. Wish the line could block as well as Vandy did

Rooting for the damn Dawgs now...lol

Go Gators beat LSU

Last edited:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Our guys are playing soft, like our Big Sky popcorn tender for the dance at the gym like Coach. I'm rapidly losing faith in this staff. You can always tell the 'loser' coaches... they "talk" about the issues and pontificate that fatherly crap but with each successive game, no real improvement translates over from the rhetoric. We're back to the Bob Woodruff, Doug Dickey, Ron Zook, Muschamp days minus the recruiting prowess. IMHO

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Our guys are playing soft, like our Big Sky popcorn tender for the dance at the gym like Coach. I'm rapidly losing faith in this staff. You can always tell the 'loser' coaches... they "talk" about the issues and pontificate that fatherly crap but with each successive game, no real improvement translates over from the rhetoric. We're back to the Bob Woodruff, Doug Dickey, Ron Zook, Muschamp days minus the recruiting prowess. IMHO[/

Well put

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Our guys are playing soft, like our Big Sky popcorn tender for the dance at the gym like Coach. I'm rapidly losing faith in this staff. You can always tell the 'loser' coaches... they "talk" about the issues and pontificate that fatherly crap but with each successive game, no real improvement translates over from the rhetoric. We're back to the Bob Woodruff, Doug Dickey, Ron Zook, Muschamp days minus the recruiting prowess. IMHO
Agreed, Stud. Stroll down the memory lane of coaches was hauntingly true.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As usual I agree...and thank you once again

Offense line and TE blocking is as stated a fire. TE look more like receivers. Put two freshman lineman in to block instead. Maybe two back set. Need more receivers to step up. Think Calloway is still a bit gimpy. Powell,idk, never cared for him but I have been wrong 20-30 times today.
AA was not good today but LDR also had some scarey throws against lesser teams. Scarlett is the man and they need to leave him in. Make thompson a TE or H, he waits too long for the blocks to develop, which ain't happening.
I liked how perine fielded the one kick, all hands. That could be good to keep Calloway safe and give a spark at that position.
Don't leave tallent on the sidelines. JS was hot, then he sat for a qtr. several missing huge holes and powell and gools always want to change direction after a catch as opposed to going with their momentum and getting yardage.

Physicality, has ipf made them soft on both lines? Agility and power seems lacking with several. Getting whipped mano v mano in the trenches regardless of scheme.

DT definitely too light and keep getting out of position with the injuries showing the skill dropoff. LB flying all over the place Wish they were heavier too. Runs up the gut ard tough for us. No pass pressure puts the man on man in deep Doo. Safety's making good plays in run support. Still having some coverage communication issues.

Kicking games was good and Gardener had a good game on ST.

Not sure how we can't get numbers in our favor and take what they give us. Short slants instead of screens? Execution, execution. It was a win, but an ugly. Wish the line could block as well as Vandy did

Rooting for the damn Dawgs now...lol

Go Gators beat LSU
Thanks Wood. Forgot about Gardner. Had almost your exact quote in my notes when I looked back over them. Good analysis on secondary. A better opposing QB would have found several open receivers on check downs I think. Yes, ugly game indeed. Mac looking more and more like Stud described.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mason>Mac
Whipple>Mac
Jones>Mac
Jimbo>Mac
Miles>Mac
Harbaugh>Mac

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great summary. I agree with everything you said. Mac not bringing in any DTs this year may cost us a win or two. Hopefully not.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I can't wait till next year when we are back to a brutal schedule again :facepalm:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Great summary. I agree with everything you said. Mac not bringing in any DTs this year may cost us a win or two. Hopefully not.
Not bringing in DTs LAST YEAR will hurt us this year. Not bringing in any for the last TWO years will cost us wins next year. Freshmen dont arrive on campus ready to play DT and jucos are hit or miss, with most missing.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
C2, I don't see emotional leaders to pump up teammates when the going gets tough. The LBs lead by example but I don't know how vocal they are.

Mason had his team ready to play above their heads emotionally and he is a helluva defensive coach. If he gets fired because of his lackluster post-Franklin record, I'd hire him in a NY minute as DC.

LDR is no messiah but he needs to get back soon. The next two weeks will probably determine whether FL's flicker of hope for a title repeat lives on or is extinguished. If Tennessee wins 1 of next two or FL loses again, it will be time to get Franks and Trask some game experience.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
100% Scarlett needs to be our featured back. Maybe get the guys in there on occasion to spell him a breath or two, but he needs to touch the ball 20 times a game. Anzalone only had 6 official tackles but he was all over the place today. Really need Del Rio back, Appleby obviously had some serious issues both going through his progression and making accurate throws today. Missing Callaway for a wide open TD in the 4th was ghastly.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I've stated before move Thompson to a more traditional fullback position and lead block. Also, put a freshman or even a DT/LB at TE on true run plays, like a jumbo package.

Coach Nuss wouldn't be so vilified here if AA hit some of those open receivers. The game plan looked sound if we only would execute.

The line to me looks like they aren't playing with any desire. They are getting their asses kicked, especially Dillard. That is on the coach.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Vandy sure is a dynammy team. We were lucky.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Was at the game with great seats 20 rows up on the 45 behind the bench. It was a shame to waste such great seats on that poop show. But it afforded me a great vantage point to watch what was going on on the sideline during the game. And what I saw was.....nothing. Nothing was going on on the sideline. No people getting in each other's faces. No emotion from coaches or players. No one talking to each other. No leadership. No one even watching the game sometimes, for Christ's sake! I have never seen a more blasé bunch of football players in my life. It really pissed me off. It's no wonder a 330 pound tackle can't even block a guy 50 pounds lighter than himself. It's no wonder they appear not to have their heads in the game most of the time and make idiotic penalties and mistakes again and again and again.

I'm over this coaching staff. They are never going to get it together. Never. After the last 3 games last year, the less than impressive way we've played this year and the mediocre recruiting we've had I see no way we are ever going to get to the elite level.

Appleby showed again why he was benched at a lower tier Big 10 school. He is not a good QB and will never be more than serviceable at best.

Our line just plain sucks. Sucks. They can not open a hole. They can not pass block. They can not play without penalties. They've sucked for years and they will continue to suck no matter how much "experience" they get. They just plain suck.

We were gashed for big yards more times than I could count when Vandy would run a counter off the left side. Every time our ends would crash down and get pinched inside leaving no one to stop the runner until he was 5 yards past the line. Number 95 Davis sucks. He can't shed a block to save his life. Same with #93.

When there was 1:30 left in the game and Vandy decided to punt I said to my son that the Vandy coaches were smart even though the Vandy fans were booing. That was because I knew what apparently the Vandy coaches knew. That being that the Gators would likely get the ball deep in their own territory after the punt and would then proceed to run 3 straight plays into the middle of the line with no gain and Vandy could use their timeouts in order to get the ball back. And that's exactly what happened. The Gators have gotten so predictable it's like I don't even have to watch the game anymore to know what's going to happen.

I am so sick to death of watching sh!tty football I could puke.

On a different note, Nashville is a great town. Had a ball downtown with great music and scenery. If you're a guy in your 20's I can't think of a better town to find hundreds of beautiful girls out looking for a good time. I mean the ratio of pretty single girls to guys was crazy. At least 3 to 1. Apparently it's a big bachelorette party town. But I digress. We suck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.