'Blind courage': Unable to see, Brophy Prep's Adonis Watt plays running back

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I heard about this on local (PA) radio this morning, one of those 'feel good' stories.

'Blind courage': Unable to see, Brophy Prep's Adonis Watt plays running back

It is the last play. A show of sportsmanship by the home team. A 45-yard gallop into the end zone.

But this isn't how Phoenix Brophy Prep freshman running back Adonis Watt, 14, wants his first high school football game to end – a scripted feel-good moment with nobody from Gilbert Highland attempting to defend him.

He isn't asking for a gift touchdown because he's completely blind.

"He would prefer them tackling him," says Veronica Watt, Adonis' mom.

– How he was floating in a swimming pool at age 5, looking into the clouds, submerging in the water, only to come out unable to see.

– How he later smacked his face into a door knob, scratching his eye.

– How he still couldn't see the next day.

– How he had surgeries on his eyes to alleviate pressure, and still couldn't see.

– How he was diagnosed with a rare condition of congenital glaucoma.

– How he told his mom and dad no more surgeries, explaining, "I can still see; I just see differently."

Over time, his vision faded gradually, until it was completely gone.

"He wanted to be better than me at everything," Jordan says. "I had to make sure he wasn't better than me at anything. A handout in our household is, 'If you want something, you outwork everyone for it.' "

Heideman puts Watt in at noseguard in the second half against Highland. He takes on a double team that opens it up for teammates to gobble up the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage.

"He's got a spacial awareness that is impressive," Heideman says. "He's been around Brophy for three weeks and he's very independent. He's always mapping it out. I'm always astonished at how he gets from place to place, let alone find holes and places on the field that he's going to fit into."

"He doesn't know he should be afraid," Veronica Watt says. "I don’t think he’s afraid of anything. He thinks he’s as big and strong as everybody else."

I cut a lot of the article out, but it is worth the read.

Radio was commenting how disappointed he was in getting a TD where the other team let him score because he was blind. Last week, his coach never told the other team they were sending in a blind player. He scored 2 rushing TDs.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I actually saw him and his coach this morning, he seems like a very well grounded individual. He could never play in every situation, but he is quite admirable. He was asked how he does it and he just said we run the play in practice so I just do the same. Great story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator