Board Games

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bradgator2, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Captain Sasquatch

Captain Sasquatch Mr. SQ, the Sashole
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,185
    Ratings:
    +11,502 / -239
    SQ and I play it on occasion. It has resulted in more fights between us than anything else. :lol:

• backstop13

backstop13 Behind Enemy Lines
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $160
      Ratings:
      +326 / -2
      Wife and I played a few new games that were a lot of fun:

Sagrada - Dice drafting game where you're building a "stained glass window" on a board. Basically, you can't have the same color dice or the same number on the dice to the left, right, up, or down from another similar dice. Some of the "windows" you build have pre-selected spots where only a certain dice value or color can be, so there's quite a bit of strategy involved.

Secret Hitler - From the maker's of cards against humanity...everyone is dealt a secret role, either fascist or liberal at the start of the game. One person is also randomly Hitler. The fascists know who each other are and know who Hitler is, but Hitler and the liberals don't know each other. Each turn, policies are enacted and it becomes a bluffing social/deduction game. Lots of fun, but minimum of 5 people have to play. Great drinking game.

• PastyStoole

PastyStoole Senior Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $327
      Ratings:
      +1,817 / -9
      Based on this thread, I got the board game Ticket to Ride for the fame. Thanks, Brad, for the recommendation, we played it last night and my genius six year old daughter won. Great game.

• itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,515
        Ratings:
        +7,941 / -45
        Nothing beats a good game of Leisure Suit Larry.

• bradgator2

bradgator2 1/29/17 half marathon - 1 hour, 34 min, 2 secs
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,645
        Ratings:
        +7,754 / -45
        Played a game called Rummikub last weekend. It has the rules of traditional rummy in the sense that you create runs and groups. But the big difference is you can use whatever is laid on the board and get really creative with breaking things up. Our friends set up a 2 minute timer, which I thought was ridiculous. But after several rounds goes by, you really do use your entire 2 minutes trying to solve a way to get rid of your tiles. My youngest (9) played it last night with us and loved it (and won 2 rounds the little turd).

• Swamp Queen

Swamp Queen Mrs. Sasquatch
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,220
        Ratings:
        +5,974 / -38
        Had you not heard of it before? It's a fun game.

• Captain Sasquatch

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $2,185
        Ratings:
        +11,502 / -239
        Two minute timer is bullsh*t. Some of those moves get complex as hell.

• bradgator2

bradgator2 1/29/17 half marathon - 1 hour, 34 min, 2 secs
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,645
        Ratings:
        +7,754 / -45
        Yeah, and it's especially glorious when it doesnt work out and you have to put it all back the way it was.

After playing many nights now, I like the 2 minute timer. For one thing, your panic level rises when you realize you only have 20 seconds left. And it really does keep the game moving along.

• Gatorbait25

Gatorbait25 H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist

Oxbucks:
        $581
        Ratings:
        +651 / -22
        [​IMG]

This one is pretty good. Basically Scrabble with cards.

• Gatorbait25

Gatorbait25 H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist

Oxbucks:
        $581
        Ratings:
        +651 / -22
        [​IMG]

No board game quite tops this one though. What I like to do is focus on the Orange properties.
        They are landed on more than any other. I also stay away from the railroads. They get pricey and only
        pay dividends if you have all of them. Best to make a trade for them later with a peasant desperately needing cash.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,450
        Ratings:
        +3,957 / -42
        [​IMG]

We got Quelf Jr (never seen/played Quelf) and it's great for kids (ours are 9 & 12, we had the 12yr old nearly pee herself). Fairly basic gameplay of moving pieces perhaps 20 spaces start to end. Movement is achieved by pulling a card and either a) doing the activity described, b) finding a "Ms Goody Gumdrops" card that allows you a bonus move, or c) finding a "Mr Sourpuss" card that usually moves you back up to 3 spots. Not rocket science, but the fun comes with the challenges such as:

Take your shoe, protect it like your cub and you are the lion. Roar at anyone who tries to touch it.
        Pull your arms inside your shirt and act like a T-Rex until your next turn.
        Hop on one foot and sing a made up song for the duration of the timer (sand timer, about 2 min)
        Pick another player and race to see who can say the alphabet backwards the fastest.

We had fun with the kids, but you def need kids if you're going to play it.

• Captain Sasquatch

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $2,185
        Ratings:
        +11,502 / -239
        Monopoly is only good if you're playing with people who are willing to make trades. If you end up playing with some assh*les who just want to hold onto everything and have an infinite game, it's pretty pointless.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,450
        Ratings:
        +3,957 / -42
        I'm tough to make a trade, very reluctant. My MIL lives by 'no trading' and is indoctrinating my son with it. This 9yo boy consistently wins, but I think it is more to do with his ability to lap the board 5-6 times in a row before ever hitting someone's property. Seriously, he can hit the only 2 unowned spots on a side and skip right through. I need to check him for loaded dice....it ALWAYS happens.

• Captain Sasquatch

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $2,185
        Ratings:
        +11,502 / -239
        Nobody can ever win if all you do is pay rent the whole game. Houses and motels eventually have to be built. Sometimes you can get lucky on the rolls and buy all of one color, but if all 8 colors are divided, something has to give.